What's new

90s (Super) Skunk

I've been doing some digging for the "roadkill" skunk and I was able to come across some very rare finds. I was just asking everybody for seeds or clones of their skunk from around here (northeast) and as I was talking to somebody about it, I got a notification.

Turns out, my friends (who own a dispensary on one of the native reservations) just so happened to have clones and teens for sale at their dispensary. I've known their family for most of my adult life, they're awesome people and have deep roots in the culture. This came right from the family. I told them to hold the clones for me but they were already gone. Well the family member ended up bringing me another teen, so I grabbed 2 teens of the 90s (super) skunk.

I can't guarantee anything yet, but on the ride with the plants, all I could smell was a skunk. I've been around plants my whole life, and they might have a fresh smell and you could tell it was weed in veg, but they don't stink like this unless flowering. Got it back to a safe place and scraped the stem (didn't know that was a thing) and it smells foul. You can smell the plant but it smells like a skunk.

Not sure if they're the same pheno but I'd imagine they are (one of the plants is a little rough) so I'll keep both as moms and run clones of them side by side.

There were at least 2 or 3 different "roadkill" skunks around here in the 80s/90s. I believe this is the first of the 3. Will keep you all updated.

Attachments

• IMG_20240429_163856.jpg
    IMG_20240429_163856.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20240429_214600.jpg
    20240429_214600.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 28
  • 20240429_214605.jpg
    20240429_214605.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 38
  • 20240429_214249.jpg
    20240429_214249.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I've been doing some digging for the "roadkill" skunk and I was able to come across some very rare finds. I was just asking everybody for seeds or clones of their skunk from around here (northeast) and as I was talking to somebody about it, I got a notification.

Turns out, my friends (who own a dispensary on one of the native reservations) just so happened to have clones and teens for sale at their dispensary. I've known their family for most of my adult life, they're awesome people and have deep roots in the culture. This came right from the family. I told them to hold the clones for me but they were already gone. Well the family member ended up bringing me another teen, so I grabbed 2 teens of the 90s (super) skunk.

I can't guarantee anything yet, but on the ride with the plants, all I could smell was a skunk. I've been around plants my whole life, and they might have a fresh smell and you could tell it was weed in veg, but they don't stink like this unless flowering. Got it back to a safe place and scraped the stem (didn't know that was a thing) and it smells foul. You can smell the plant but it smells like a skunk.

Not sure if they're the same pheno but I'd imagine they are (one of the plants is a little rough) so I'll keep both as moms and run clones of them side by side.

There were at least 2 or 3 different "roadkill" skunks around here in the 80s/90s. I believe this is the first of the 3. Will keep you all updated.
Very interesting friend. Thanks for sharing your find with us. Keep us posted.

Very interesting friend. Thanks for sharing your find with us. Keep us posted.
Glad to share this with everybody. I'm another person who misses that old skunk. After seeing all the posts all over the web about it, some going back to the mid 2000s, I had no clue it was so highly sought after.

I figured I was misremembering the leaves, and the smell could be contributed to all weed smelling like skunk anyways. I remember seeing the plants growing when I was a teenager, and I smoked a lot of it. But that was 30 years ago, so my memory could be slightly off. I was ready to be wrong. After all the reading, I know that I'm not the only one who remembers it the way I do.

Here's my best conclusion. There was never a strain called roadkill skunk. People just use that name to tell it apart from the sweet skunks, or try to sell seeds or clones, or at worst as scam bait. But if you've ever smelled a skunk (my dog just got sprayed by one), that smell is unmistakable. Same as that old school ganja we all remember.

To my knowledge and experience, I'm guessing there are 3 different versions worthy of the name roadkill skunk. They might be related, might be different phenos, or might be completely separate lineage.

1. The first roadkill. Late 70s early 80s. Sativa dominant. Long flowering.

2. Northeast / east coast roadkill. Indica dominant. Short flowering. Late 70s-80s, still around in the 90s (possibly the super skunk indica dominant pheno, or the precursor)

3. 90s roadkill - which I believe to be Super Skunk. Sativa dominant.

I believe I have found 2 of the 3 so far. Won't know until I flower them.

Ahhh shiet, here we go again… breakin balls of course
Hahaha...I've seen so many posts and all the let downs. I don't even know if what I have is the "roadkill" of the 90s yet. That's why I called it by it's real name, Super Skunk. We never called it roadkill skunk because roadkill is redundant. It smelled like a a rotting skunk on the road, or a skunk that just sprayed. But it was just called Skunk or Super Skunk around here. I never heard the term roadkill until searching the internet, looking for "the old skunk."

Roadkill skunk is just a description, not any one strain or phenotype. It is also a marketing term used in the cannabis industry to make $. We've all seen a lot of examples of the industry bastardizing terms and products, renaming strains, the works.

I'm not a big time breeder, I don't sell clones on the web, I'm not looking to cash in on some shangri-la strain. I don't even want recognition or people to know who I am lol. I know it exists, I've smoked it, I've seen it growing. I want to find it and preserve it, and smoke some with everybody.

What I do know is that this came from a very reputable source. Their family has been growing cannabis for many generations. Also, being on the reservation, they weren't subjected to the iron fist of the law like many of us. So if there's any place it would be safe, it would be on the reservations, or deep in the mountains/hollers/farmlands, away from prying eyes and noses.

I made the conscious decision to get rid of the Sour Diesel in early 2010s, because I had to protect my interests and not get busted. I didn't know as much back then, and I should've kept it side by side with my other strains. One of the hardest lessons I've had to learn about preserving old genetics.

There is no doubt in my mind this is the real Super Skunk. I'd guess that it's the parent of the Mass Super Skunk, but I didn't speak to the grower directly about it yet. Hard to say just based on seeing it in person, because we're in the northeast and very close to Mass.

One thing I can say for sure is that I indeed have a 90s super skunk in my possession, a 30 year old heirloom clone.

Happy Times

Very cool, Super Skunk is a ol’ classic

What’s a “teen”?

Transplanted both of the Super Skunks into 5 gal pots. The bigger one was rootbound and needed some love. The small one is very healthy and starting to explode. They both smell identical. The leaves smell like catpiss/ammonia, but the stem rub smells like skunk.

Also was able to come across a "roadkill" skunk clone. This has been around for 40 years and is clone only. Not much in the smell department yet, (she traveled a few states to get here) but as I was cleaning her up and cutting off some leaves, the cut spots had an overwhelming nasty skunk smell. It's a deep, nauseating, funk, different than the SS. She's a mess so I'm chopping some clones from her and starting a new mother plant and running clones side by side with the SS.

Have these in quarantine right now and running my IPM. No signs of pests or diseases yet other than some gnats in the old soil. Will be getting them hplvd tested for peace of mind. Already went through infected clones wiping out a bunch of my classic genetics in the past, so I'm very cautious about bringing in anything new.

The quest continues...

Attachments

• 20240508_220201.jpg
    20240508_220201.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 20240508_220141.jpg
    20240508_220141.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 20240508_220128.jpg
    20240508_220128.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 18
So this Super Skunk is starting to grow more like an indica instead of a sativa, making me think this is the indica dominant, original version of Super Skunk from the early 90s (Skunk#1 x Afghani.) That's a good sign. The leaves made me think it was sativa but the structure isn't really showing that. Plus it makes sense that around here it's indica dominant.

The whole space smells like skunk and cat piss from those 2 SS & the "roadkill" skunk clone in veg. Pretty sure one of these 2 are the real skunk that everybody remembers. It smells exactly like I remember when seeing them growing back then.

Also picked up some '79 FL Heirloom Skunk S1 seeds and they have popped up and are on their way.

Attachments

• 20240515_212236.jpg
    20240515_212236.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 20240515_212045.jpg
    20240515_212045.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 20240515_214714.jpg
    20240515_214714.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 20240515_214138.jpg
    20240515_214138.jpg