What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

800W stacked vertical tent

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
This project comes out of the lessons learned from B. Self Reliant's 600W vertical. Per B., he felt that 600 was too much for his space (3x4ft I believe), and mentioned 2 400's might do the trick. So I followed his advice! This is a Homebox L (3.3 x 3.3ft) with two 400W lights.

My grow has been a single 400W mh until today, when I upgraded to have both MH and HPS (mh on bottom, hps on top). Ideally, I'd like to grow ~8 week strains under one half of the tent, and very tall long-flowering sativas in the other half.

These are 13 Mosca C99 F1 beans. Had some early nutrient (and virus) issues but I think now I'm sorted.

More to come.

Last edited:
D

DHF

Nice weed doughnut Bro......Is that a 4 x 4 space those plants are in ?.....

I`d suggest flippin em if they`re not already in flower now cuz there`s no tellin what size each plant will get by end of stretch and they`re close together now......

Anyways.....Good luck .....

Peace....DHF......:ying:.....

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
Nice weed doughnut Bro......Is that a 4 x 4 space those plants are in ?.....

I`d suggest flippin em if they`re not already in flower now cuz there`s no tellin what size each plant will get by end of stretch and they`re close together now......

Anyways.....Good luck .....

Peace....DHF......:ying:.....

Forgot to mention - thanks! 3.3ft x 3.3ft. It's a homebox L. Lights switched yesterday, so I'm pumped to see how big they get.

B

B. Self Reliant

This is gonna be fun. . .

This is gonna be fun. . .

A man who follows through with his plans. . . very impressive!

I can't wait to see this. Stoked you minimized the waiting time by not posting until you had plants that were vegged out for a while! I've wanted to run Mosca's C99 since it was first released. This is gonna be a killer thread!

I see that the plants aren't tall enough to effectively use properly stacked bulbs. . . are they both on right now as they veg out? How are the temps?

Once the 8 week strain is harvested, do you plan on replanting that side before the longer flowering side finishes or do you plan on having a half empty tent for the last couple of weeks? The reason I ask is because one scenario would require you to veg in final containers in a separate veg space for all subsequent rounds, and the other would be more forgiving and allow you to veg both sides simultaneously in the tent when in final containers.

Can't wait to see what you come up with! :wtf:

bobblehead

Veteran
Those lamps being secured with twist ties looks kinda scary imo.... I would like to see those lamps secured with steel strap and clamps. Just looking out for your safety...

Looks like you have a full house. Can't wait to see this weed donut blow up.

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
A man who follows through with his plans. . . very impressive!

I can't wait to see this. Stoked you minimized the waiting time by not posting until you had plants that were vegged out for a while! I've wanted to run Mosca's C99 since it was first released. This is gonna be a killer thread!

I see that the plants aren't tall enough to effectively use properly stacked bulbs. . . are they both on right now as they veg out? How are the temps?

Once the 8 week strain is harvested, do you plan on replanting that side before the longer flowering side finishes or do you plan on having a half empty tent for the last couple of weeks? The reason I ask is because one scenario would require you to veg in final containers in a separate veg space for all subsequent rounds, and the other would be more forgiving and allow you to veg both sides simultaneously in the tent when in final containers.

Can't wait to see what you come up with! :wtf:

Hey B! Yeah I like to usually wait until I'm a few weeks into flower to start posting, but here we are... :)

In terms of bulbs, I think I could have let them get a bit taller before adding the second bulb (which was today), but from what I'm seeing at least 5 of them have outgrown the effective range of light from the MH bulb. They are now benefiting from the direct light of the new bulb, and the others are benefiting from the light on top of the canopy. So while I probably could do without both bulbs, I want to see how this accelerates growth (if at all).

I've actually grown Mosca's C99 BX before with spectacular results in vertical. I'm psyched to see how these F1's perform. Secretly I'm hoping for a few males to give theses girls a bit more space.

I will have a separate veg space for new girls and rotate in new plants as space becomes available. The veg space is a yet-to-be-built Homebox S with two layers, one for mom's, clones and starts, the other for vegging plants. It's also vertical in it's own way.

Here's some more pics:

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
Those lamps being secured with twist ties looks kinda scary imo.... I would like to see those lamps secured with steel strap and clamps. Just looking out for your safety...

Looks like you have a full house. Can't wait to see this weed donut blow up.

Secured with nuts and bolts, then adjusted with twist ties to balance the fixture up and down. This assembly works without the twist ties, it just balances really awkwardly.

L

LouDog420

Looking nice bro...

I've been considering adding a second 400w to my tent as well :tiphat:

I only squeeze 14 in a 4x4 vert. I can see this filling out real nice my friend, tagged up!! :wave:

B

B. Self Reliant

Yeah, I'd running that second bulb too unless there was a specific reason not to, especially because you have bulbs of different spectrums.

Males or no males you always have the option of culling plants if you run short of space! I've never worked with Mosca's genetics or C99, so I can't mentally picture what those gals will look like in a month, but if you're short of space then toss some. There's no reward for flowering more plants, only for well planned & executed grows. How does she grow by the way. . . is she bushy?

How big are your containers?

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
Yeah, I'd running that second bulb too unless there was a specific reason not to, especially because you have bulbs of different spectrums.

Males or no males you always have the option of culling plants if you run short of space! I've never worked with Mosca's genetics or C99, so I can't mentally picture what those gals will look like in a month, but if you're short of space then toss some. There's no reward for flowering more plants, only for well planned & executed grows. How does she grow by the way. . . is she bushy?

How big are your containers?

C99 isn't necessarily bushy. Here are some images from my last cab grow (250w vert). They generally grow fewer nodes in veg and explode in flower. Not sure how the F1 cross will alter this but I'm really psyched nonetheless :)

Containers are all 2 gal, upgraded from 1 gal about 2 weeks ago. I'm hopeful I won't need to replant them again, but I've got 3 gal bags handy if so.

I guess I was never really worried about the horizontal space, knowing that I could always trim the side branches prior even in early flower. I'm really trying to concentrate all of the plants energy on the main branch as opposed to side branching. Just an experiment atm.

funker

Hey what's new? :rasta:

Setup looks sweet, are you using promix? I think setting those bags on top of the 3lb bags after the plants stretch will help ensure the plants don't get rootbound later in flower, looking forward to the show! :plant grow:

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
Hey what's new? :rasta:

Setup looks sweet, are you using promix? I think setting those bags on top of the 3lb bags after the plants stretch will help ensure the plants don't get rootbound later in flower, looking forward to the show! :plant grow:

Funker! Da funkster!

Thank you. I've never had rootbound issues with 2 gal bags before, but I was also under 1/4 the light. I'll take a look in a few weeks after I cull some plants.

I'm feeding with the "KISS method", which is just MaxiBloom. I actually had early nutrient issues because I didn't properly mix the MaxiBloom and then added more CalMag + other nutrients, which is strictly against the method. Despite having me as a father, these girls are still alive.

Happy you're here!

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
It's one week later and they've already grown, some of them substantially (an inch or two). I culled two males. They're sucking up water and nutes like crazy.

L

LouDog420

looking very good bro! Blowing up for sure

Any chance you can flip the bulbs orientation around?

Significantly less light is emitted from the base of the bulb compared to the tip. I'd try it so the bottom bulb is pointing upwards, and the top bulb is pointing down. Focusing all that light towards the middle, most productive section, just a little thing to consider that may help.

Toke it easy :wave:

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
looking very good bro! Blowing up for sure

Any chance you can flip the bulbs orientation around?

Significantly less light is emitted from the base of the bulb compared to the tip. I'd try it so the bottom bulb is pointing upwards, and the top bulb is pointing down. Focusing all that light towards the middle, most productive section, just a little thing to consider that may help.

Toke it easy :wave:

I was actually thinking of doing this with a 48" cooltube, which is about $170. I'm a cheap bastard so I'm holding off at the moment but will likely upgrade. It would also stabilize things distance-wise in the room.

large_208_cool_tube_dual.jpg

B

B. Self Reliant

Lookin' good. What a difference a week around a HPS will make!

I thought about a double cool tube too. . . even if just to stabilize the lights, keep them in one spot & allow me to work around a bulb that's off (but still hot) without burning myself or having to raise the lamp up. I'm not sure about the loss of light though.

Your garden will have the bulbs orientated with the sockets towards the ceiling/floor once the bulbs are properly stacked around taller plants, right?