What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

8/9 are females Is this even possible?

hamstring

Veteran
I have a grow diary of Moonshine Haze and I had 8/9 nine females. Not much for conspiracy theories but is this even possible. Was there a mix up in the order? Most of my over 25 years of growing have been using seeds and I have never had anything over 60% females.

Anyone ever experience anything like this?

hamstring

Veteran
Porky
I guess I should except I'm not sure this is lucky for me. My grow space is small and was hoping for a 4-5 females out of the 9 plants.

Nannymouse

It usually works like that ...only, 90 percent males. Just kidding. Except back in the day, i would think that by planting four, that i'd get at least one female, which didn't happen a couple of times.

goingrey

There's a saying that goes something like men who are sensitive lovers have more girls as children. But it's about people hehe.

Probability of 8/9 being one sex is 1.758%. Google coin flip probability if the math interests you.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Went through my old notebooks last year looking at the maths.
Had two different ten packs yield nine males each back to back so it certainly happens , average over thousands of seeds is slightly more females , maybe 55%

RudeDog

Veteran
I crossed a Brood X male to SSSDH female. Beginning of this month I germed 4 seeds and got 4 females. Seeds pulled from a pot of about 500.

hamstring

Veteran
Unless you want to breed this is a good thing. :)
Trout
Normally I would agree with you but I am doing a pheno hunt in a 40x40x52 room with a 36 x 36 screen. Eight sativa leaning plants is a tough ask. DOH!

I am going for it though.:)

hamstring

Veteran
Went through my old notebooks last year looking at the maths.
Had two different ten packs yield nine males each back to back so it certainly happens , average over thousands of seeds is slightly more females , maybe 55%

I totally agree with your 55% female number.

I used to sprout 80-100 seeds every outdoor season (before fems) and I swear I never had anything less than 50/50 female/male.