What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

7 Crosses of Sherb Cream Pie

als_weed

7 Crosses of Sherb Cream Pie

In our experiment with reversed Sherb Cream Pie, we didn’t get the seed production or all the crosses we wanted. But we got enough to pheno hunt several crosses of interest.
Seeds:

7XSBCP001.jpg

Here we go!

7XSBCP002.jpg

To the cups!

7XSBCP003.jpg

We got 96% germination. Let’s see how they do in the dirt.

-al

als_weed

A Short Time Later . . .

7XSBCP004.jpg

40 cups and 35 through the dirt. I am perimeter watering with straight RO water. This prevents washing out the tender seedlings and setting them back in their development. I keep an oscillating gently blowing on them at all times. This promotes strong stems and greater air exchange. It’s surprising how much a simple fan can improve your plants, even at the earliest stages.

I had a mysterious death problem with the SBRPs. 4 out of 6 sprouts just rotted, and the ones that lived were feeble looking. Dumping out the cups, it became suddenly obvious why. When preparing our 1 quart cups for this strain, I had forgotten to poke some drainage holes. Doh!!!

Just another lesson in humility to keep my farmer ego humble.

I soaked a few fresh seeds to get our sprout numbers back to where the science needs them.

As always, your questions and comments are welcome.

-al

als_weed

Time for a Skirt Trim

Here’s our girls before:

7XSBCP006.jpg

Before:

7XSBCP007.jpg

After:

7XSBCP008.jpg

Group After:

7XSBCP009.jpg

These got a little big on me. I normally start this process a little earlier.

So a skirt trim is about removing bottom leaves, exposing the bottom branches to more light and air. This also helps with litter and pest prevention.

After all, our goal is to produce great branches to harvest for the cloner. Then we just need to keep the original plants alive while we bloom out the clone.

As always, your comments and questions are welcome.

-al

als_weed

To the Cloner

Group Before:

7XSBCP010.jpg

Almost everyone has at least 2 branches large enough to be cloned. So here we go!

The first thing we do is assign everyone their ID number. I generally do this by height. This gives me a little help in planning for vigor. This early tell is not perfect, but is right most of the time.

WTCP Lineup:

7XSBCP011.jpg

Before:

7XSBCP012.jpg

After:

7XSBCP013.jpg

I take the top and the 2 largest branches. This gives us the best chance of getting a rooted clone of each individual. Our original plants are now ready to hang out for 4 months while the cuttings get rooted and bloomed.

Cuttings:

7XSBCP014.jpg

To the Cloners:

7XSBCP015.jpg

There were a few plants that were stingy with branches, but we got 3 cuts from most.

Our strain list breakdown:

7XSBCP016.jpg

Our 40 individuals that made it to the cloner.

Mutilated moms:

7XSBCP017.jpg

These girls look pretty bad but it will be a struggle to keep them in cups for the next 4 months.

As always, your questions and comments are welcome.

-al

hamstring

Veteran
I have your SCP in flower now. Very interested in some of these crosses. The GDCP sounds interesting. Hope you plan on doing a smoke report on these.

Appreciate your dedication to keeping the thread going. I don't comment much but do keep my eyeballs on your work.

als_weed

I have your SCP in flower now. Very interested in some of these crosses. The GDCP sounds interesting. Hope you plan on doing a smoke report on these.

Appreciate your dedication to keeping the thread going. I don't comment much but do keep my eyeballs on your work.
We will go through everyone that makes it to the chop. I'm getting the crew together for 38 Truffles now, can't wait for 40 Cream Pies.

Thankyou for your interest and kind words.

-al

als_weed

Cloner Update

7XSBCP018.jpg

We have roots for almost all individuals. I’ll take back up cuttings soon after the dead or alive roundup for anyone still not rooted.

One of the main reasons I take 3 cuttings as opposed to just cloning the top, is getting everyone rooted at once. I want head to head data, and running stragglers is not acceptable. I plan on sending 2 waves of 20, 2 weeks apart to the bloom room.

The center top has different hormones than the side branches. You can see this happening in this pic:

7XSBCP019.jpg

This is very common. The center top normally takes longer to root. This makes them more susceptible to attack, even while running beneficials.

Extra rooted cuttings can be used to replace the original mom if she is too distressed in her cup. I always like options and sending the best possible representative to the bloom room.

-al

als_weed

There Can Be Only One!

I have gone through all the clones and selected the best individual from the 3 cuttings. I will let them grow out for a bit before separating them into our 2 groups.

7XSBCP020.jpg

Root development ranges from spikes to ready to rock. We had 2 individuals drop into the straggler group when all of their cuttings failed. They will have to wait for a roundup several months from now to get a second chance.

-al

als_weed

Getting There..

Cloners:

7XSBCP021.jpg

The plants are starting to hit their veg growth stride. We still have about 4 that have very limited root development.

However most look like this:

7XSBCP022.jpg

I’m using al’s Go Go Veg o Matic recipe now after starting with al’s Rootin Tootin Setup Sauce. We no longer need the B1 and extra vitamins and res ppms are now up to around 400.

I’ll get these trimmed and rearranged into our 2 groups headed to the bloom room. Looks like we are just a couple weeks away from flower!

-al

als_weed

Staging Up to Bloom

7XSBCP023.jpg

I have separated our girls into 2 cloners. The cloner on the right has all of the fastest rooters and will hit the bloom room soon. Our second cloner on the left will happen 2 weeks after the first. Rooting speed is certainly related to overall vigor, but doesn’t tell you if the plant is going to get you high. So don’t get too concerned with a difficult start.

Our Line Up:

7XSBCP024.jpg

We had 3 individuals that did not produce a rooted clone. Unfortunately our only Skunkberry failed and the Strawberry Runtz Pies were feeble from the start. Of course the SBRPs not having drainage for the first week did not help. Meh

Anyone that doesn’t get into this cycle will be added to the next roundup a couple months from now. This is obviously less than ideal, but I really want to see everyone bloom.

-al

als_weed

One Week to Go

7XSBCP025.jpg

I have shoot pruned all the clones. This is where all the shoots except the top 3 are removed, but the fan leaves are left in place. This prepares the plants for high performance in the bloom room, while optimizing the plants energy by not wasting it on stuff we are whacking off anyways. Tallest plants get their first stem pinch.

Our plan is to send the first group to bloom next week, selecting the best from both cloners. We will then send the rest 2 weeks later.

-al

als_weed

This experiment was rudely interrupted when this happened:

7XSBC026.jpg

The fire destroyed everything on the first two stories, leaving me my spouse, 1 of 2 cats, the clothes on my back, and the plants/equipment in this experiment.

Theads on all this:

So thanx to many friends we get to continue the experiment.

Here is the state of our original plants almost 6 months after their rescue:

7XSBC027.jpg

Our poor girls are still in their original 1 quart cups. I have kept them alive by feeding them weak tea and foliar sprays. It has taken some time to build the infrastructure needed, but I am thrilled to get a chance to look at these survivors, since this lump of charred plastic is all of the seeds I have created in the last couple years:

7XSBC028.jpg

Of the original 40 plants, 39 have survived:

7XSBC029.jpg

And here is everyone in the cloners:

7XSBC030.jpg

I got at least 2 high quality cuts of every girl. My plan is to send one to bloom and use the other to replace the original plant if needed. They will be close to a year old in those little cups when this is done, and I just don’t want to lose a winner at this point.

So everyone got a haircut and I’ll see how slow they can grow, while keeping them from auto flowering.

7XSBC031.jpg

We have 5 months left in this project. The rainbow chase for the very best new weed is back on!

-al