What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

480W Photo Boost Strip Light Vs 600 Watt HPS

Hey,

I'm in the process of setting up my new grow room and possibly making the full switch to LED. I am planning on building a 4x4 480W Photo Boost Strip Light. I want to do a side by side with my 600W HPS and see what I get.

Has something like this been done before?

Are you guys interested/have suggestions?

I know there is variables and I'm open to suggestions to keep this side by side as fair as possible. I'm hoping some of the guys who have done side by sides will chime in...

Let the games begin!

I've decided to scrap the idea, after looking at shipping, cost, and time to fabricate I've decided it's not worth all the extra time and money to create one. If I had a special need for it that I couldn't fill by just purchasing a current LED setup I would do it. I guess I'll be saving this project for another time.

jacksonliam341

Is your grow space a 4x4? or the size of your frame?

In a 4x4 you would probably be looking at around 480w of power. The number of strips will vary by how hot/cool you want to run. The general rule is 30/ per square foot.

I just finished a 240w 2x4 build with 12 EB gen2's. I was planning to use 8 strips and run them hard. I was advised to go for 12 strips instead, and they run very cool with very light heat sinks. 18 Of these strips would need no heatsinks at all. For a 4x4 strip quantities would be double. So 16-36.

The driver will depend on the layout of your light, and if you want CC or CV connections. I did a 2x4 build with 6 4 foot extrusions, so each extrusion had 2 strips in series, while the 6 extrusions ran in parallel. The series connection bumped my voltage from 19.5 to 39. I used a meanwell ELG 240-42.

negative37dBA

Veteran
I built a 640ish watt photo boost strip light. The light kicks butt and I love the fact that I built it. I could repair almost anything that came up. It has also produced some amazing fire GG4. The only bad part was the absolute lack of CS from the company that makes the strips...I wont even mention their name..they are dead to me! That said they are many very good options for a bit less than you can build it for now. I did a build thread if you are interested in looking at it.

https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijuan...epts-led-build

As far as the quality of the bud produced under HPS vrs LED. I would say LED wins. I have grown this gg4 many times under hps and 3 times under LED. This last round of LED grown was the best looking pot I have ever grown!! It also has a very strong effect and ranks right up there with the best I have produced. I have a rather long diary of 2 grows back to back with it if you want to see some pics of the goods. Link below.

https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijuan...-under-plc-led

Just make sure you get quality(meanwell) drivers and samsung chips...you probably will not be disappointed. Also dimming is VERY useful.
Good luck and have a great day. Peace, negative.

Latest posts

Latest posts