What's new

37% of California voters have tried marijuana, new poll finds

bigbrokush

There is some interesting food for thought in this article... and I especially note and remind readers that not one of the top candidates for Governor of California is for legalization.

37% of California voters have tried marijuana, new poll finds

A new Times/USC poll offers an unusually detailed look at who is using marijuana in California.

Among the 1,506 registered voters surveyed May 19-26, 37% said they had tried pot -- a figure roughly consistent with federal surveys of drug use -- and that group strongly supports the initiative. The 11% who had used marijuana in the last year favored legalization by a landslide, 82%.

A match-up in the governor's race between Democrat Jerry Brown, who governed the state in the 1970s, and Republican Meg Whitman, the former EBay executive, clearly illustrates this. Voters who have tried marijuana make up 45% of Brown's supporters, and 37% of Whitman's. But both candidates oppose legalization.

Among Democrats and voters who decline to state a party affiliation, 12% had used marijuana in the last year, as had 7% of Republicans. About a quarter of the voters in each slice of the state's electorate said they experimented with the drug in the past, but not in the last year.

One of the biggest differences is between men and women. Among male voters, 45% said they had used marijuana, 14% in the past year. Among female voters, 29% said they had tried it, but just 8% in the past year.

The heaviest use of marijuana skipped a generation. The youngest voters, between 18 and 29, reported the highest percentage of marijuana use in the past year, followed by voters between 45 and 64, who could be their parents or even grandparents. Most of those voters came of age in the marijuana-hazed Vietnam War era.
Click here for the entire story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly what I thought.
I bet the true number is at least twice that

Yeah. But now that I think about it, if someone told me they were taking a poll, and asked me if I ever consumed cannabis, I might say no to protect myself. Who knows who this person could truly be.

Kinda like those stings where LEOS contact criminals to say they won money or whatever lie they make up, when they are doing a dragnet.