What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2x 200 sq Mts; NoTill; Organic

Barbecho

Hi everyone…

…I would like to share a bit from two greenhouses, each occupied 200 sq Mts.

I am learning about living soil and no till practices.

I’ll share step by step more info. Please be patient with bit of time I have for this.

Keep growing your independence!

See you…

Attachments

• photo2106733.jpg
    photo2106733.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 161

Barbecho

I believe in living soil…less human impact mean more balance in soil metabolism and its whole sustainability for me today.

…but, couple years ago we removed soil in both greenhouses, I think that was a mistake!

So, I am working only with basic hand tools since then, last year with no manure and any other nutrition input.

What I can see a part of amazing floral diversity is also great soil capillarity and its structure.

I am not cultivating nothing during few months in winter and there is still enough soil moisture in top soil layer even without irrigation.

One photo may explain more than my bad English 🤣 oupsss…I hope you can see those photos well.

Keep growing your independence! See you…

Attachments

• photo2107032.jpg
    photo2107032.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 153
  • photo2107033.jpg
    photo2107033.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 150
  • photo2107036.jpg
    photo2107036.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 146
  • photo2107037.jpg
    photo2107037.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 140
  • photo2107038.jpg
    photo2107038.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 143

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
I'm curious Barbecho, did you replace the soil you had removed with organic topsoil to start the process or what? :tiphat:

Barbecho

I'm curious Barbecho, did you replace the soil you had removed with organic topsoil to start the process or what? :tiphat:

We removed original soil with all the native vegetation with cow manure once the greenhouses were done. I forget to mention one important data - that land was fallow about 10 years.

That allowed me to form final terraces, which I am keeping and forming until now.

Attachments

• photo2107319.jpg
    photo2107319.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 118
  • photo2107320.jpg
    photo2107320.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 113

Gry

Hi everyone…

…I would like to share a bit from two greenhouses, each occupied 200 sq Mts.

I am learning about living soil and no till practices.

I’ll share step by step more info. Please be patient with bit of time I have for this.

Keep growing your independence!

See you…

Nice picture, what an impressive setting.

Barbecho

Water…what an element, another key for success grow.

We are pumping it from 65mts. deep drill!!! I was used to irrigate with hose, what a hell on that surface 🤦🏻‍♂️😬

Than I built up drip system in first greenhouse and I’ll finish the second greenhouse drip soon.

Water tank with 1000l volume, which is about meter high from the surface. Then I am using four independent lines with 16mm diameter, 20mts. length and with perforation each 35cm.

Gravity is doing great job here, same pressure on all four lines until the water tank gets empty. Important to know that there is a bit of elevation at that land and drip lines has an auto pressure system.

Last measures were: pH= 5.6 and Ec= 0.12

More from pics…

Keep growing your independence 🍻

Attachments

• photo2108680.jpg
    photo2108680.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 104
  • photo2108681.jpg
    photo2108681.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 100
  • photo2108682.jpg
    photo2108682.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 106
  • photo2108683.jpg
    photo2108683.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 101
  • photo2108684.jpg
    photo2108684.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Water…what an element, another key for success grow.

We are pumping it from 65mts. deep drill!!! I was used to irrigate with hose, what a hell on that surface 🤦🏻‍♂️😬

Than I built up drip system in first greenhouse and I’ll finish the second greenhouse drip soon.

Water tank with 1000l volume, which is about meter high from the surface. Then I am using four independent lines with 16mm diameter, 20mts. length and with perforation each 35cm.

Gravity is doing great job here, same pressure on all four lines until the water tank gets empty. Important to know that there is a bit of elevation at that land and drip lines has an auto pressure system.

Last measures were: pH= 5.6 and Ec= 0.12

More from pics…

Keep growing your independence 🍻

Super information and all your work is really interesting, thank you for taking the time to share your hard work with us. I'm a little confused about the water? Do you mean 1.2 EC because there's no such reading as (.12 EC) If that is the case and your water is 1.2 then the water ppm is about 600? Very interesting work you do. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
It's going to be fun watching and learning from this thread. I'm subscribing to this thread because I don't want to miss anything here. Thank you again for sharing your hard work with us. 😎

Barbecho

Super information and all your work is really interesting, thank you for taking the time to share your hard work with us. I'm a little confused about the water? Do you mean 1.2 EC because there's no such reading as (.12 EC) If that is the case and your water is 1.2 then the water ppm is about 600? Very interesting work you do. 😎

Firstly thank you!

About the electro-conductivity, my Hanna showed 0.12 that time= low Ec.

Talking about pH and Ec, I would like to mention just some quick summary related to soil from three different spots:

1) Greenhouse- where I used cow manure two years ago, than without any other nutritions, after cultivation of Cannabis and vegetables

pH 5.15! and Ec 0.13

2) Big compost (slow decomposition)- filled with harder wooden fibers, whole plants, etc.

pH 6.39 and Ec 0.4

3) Small compost (quicker decomposition)- filled with reused substrates from germinating, some ash from fireplace and a lot sliced kitchen organic waste with many earthworms I found all around

pH 6.09 and Ec 0.76!

Grow your independence!

Attachments

• photo2111361.jpg
    photo2111361.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 108
  • photo2111362.jpg
    photo2111362.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 111
  • photo2111363.jpg
    photo2111363.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 19-04-2020 talea apicale
    19-04-2020 talea apicale
    105.3 KB · Views: 127
  • photo2111365.jpg
    photo2111365.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 110

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
That is super information and I see what you are talking about using Hanna pH meter. Keep us posted with new details, if you don't mind. I know you are a very busy person and don't have much free time, but I really appreciate your posts. Thank you 😎

Barbecho

Thank you Creeperpark!

I would like to mention something about the germination…how to properly crack out your seeds. That became real issue when I started to work with higher amount of seeds and different kinds.

Crucial is calculation for proper use of your growing space and right timing.

When we built our greenhouses I tried to be less dependent on electricity as possible, that was something from my growing philosophy. So I germinated inside the house, or greenhouse.

As you know there is so important right soil moisture and temperature at right moment. I really tried different places, popping in water, then transplanting, popping in trays covered with plastic, popping in shade in greenhouse and so on….but there was always problem with unstable temperature over the nights (march, april, may), with that related unstable soil moisture and temperature.

I was missing that direct effectiveness at right moment when you need to open your seed if you understand me. So, I came back to germinating indoor with low consumption lights as in past, because if not, there was always high probability of loss of some good varieties, or nonsense final amount of seedlings.

Anyway, there was one effective way how to germinate inside the greenhouse, vegetables as carrots, leeks and onions, and I am sure that will works with Cannabis too (it’s generally easy to germinate). I built up wooden frame covered with plastic, I sowed from hand seeds directly into the soil, used right amount of water and covered them with that frame for few days. The effect was like tiny greenhouse inside the big greenhouse if you understand me, and like this I was popping good amount of seeds at right time, of course then you have to transplant them into the trays.

There is also this Walipini construction, which I would like to build inside the greenhouse (again the same model of greenhouse inside the greenhouse) for to achieve more stable temperatures mainly over the night. But that’s something for the future, I am still looking for the artificial light independence.

I have done germination very badly, when I burned hundreds of freshly opened seeds in trays, I missed one day of checking them and the temperatures get over 50 degrees!!! I fought with mold in trays because of the bad ventilation below the plastic which covered them. I tried sowing of extreme amount of seeds in each one spot of trays and so on…So as I said that I’ll switch ON the lights again after couple of years.

The best was this spontaneous natural germination of cannabis everywhere, over the working table, in the terraces with vegetables over all year and on the compost too :)

Check the photos below and cultivate your independence!

Attachments

• photo2112259.jpg
    photo2112259.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 106
  • photo2112260.jpg
    photo2112260.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 107
  • photo2112261.jpg
    photo2112261.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 100
  • photo2112262.jpg
    photo2112262.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 104
  • photo2112263.jpg
    photo2112263.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 104
  • photo2112264.jpg
    photo2112264.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 108
  • photo2112265.jpg
    photo2112265.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 106
  • photo2112266.jpg
    photo2112266.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 109
  • photo2112269.jpg
    photo2112269.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 101
  • photo2112270.jpg
    photo2112270.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 103

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Thats so cool Barbecho! God's way, is the best way when it comes to cannabis seed. When I worked in the greenhouses, we produced 1000's of vegetable plants for commercial growers every year. We used germination tables with heating mats that filled a large greenhouse. Very big outfit. It took 7 days from the time the seed hit the heating mats, sprouted, and left the germination greenhouse, and went to the pre-veg greenhouse. Lots of hard work without any failure every year, plus we made and sterilized our own potting mixes. I miss that and that's why I like reading your posts with photos. Thank you for sharing your interesting posts. Looking forward to seeing your growing season this year too. 😎

goingrey

You're growing hemp in a greenhouse?

Interesting. What's the goal? Seeds (oil)? CBD?

Are you doing light dep?

Barbecho

Nice record! Would you like to consider some supplemental lights for cloudy weather? :D

:D Not by the moment, thank you!

Thats so cool Barbecho! God's way, is the best way when it comes to cannabis seed. When I worked in the greenhouses, we produced 1000's of vegetable plants for commercial growers every year. We used germination tables with heating mats that filled a large greenhouse. Very big outfit. It took 7 days from the time the seed hit the heating mats, sprouted, and left the germination greenhouse, and went to the pre-veg greenhouse. Lots of hard work without any failure every year, plus we made and sterilized our own potting mixes. I miss that and that's why I like reading your posts with photos. Thank you for sharing your interesting posts. Looking forward to seeing your growing season this year too. 😎

Amazing!!! I am following couple of accounts doing the same you did guys and it’s fascinating all that germination and pre-veg alchemy. Those mats you are talking about, seems to me like a good game changer. I have to check these. Thank you for sharing your experience, as you can see all my effort is hobby/ side job/ improvisation, but with real enthusiasm for growing.

You're growing hemp in a greenhouse?

Interesting. What's the goal? Seeds (oil)? CBD?

Are you doing light dep?

Hemp and vegetable by the moment.

Hemp- looking for interesting strains which I may use for quality flower yield and which would accomplish local laws for to cultivate.

Light Dep- another dream, maybe in future. Something small, for personal research, not at this scale.