What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2nd branch wilted and dies

No worm inside. Looks more like a fungus rot?

Attachments

• IMG 1463
    IMG 1463
    99.5 KB · Views: 28
T

Teddybrae

Yeah, that's Fusarium (or the Reverend recently posted similar and referred to a similar fungus can't recall its name). It will most likely take charge and stems will die one after another. There is no antidote.

You may likely have water lying about somewhere in your pots (maybe?). Inadequate drainage coupled with Molasses use (maybe). Or yr near a forest and there's fungus everywhere.

Sorry to be gloomy ...

T

Teddybrae

Or root rot too?

My experience with this stem dieback is limited. Both times its happened to me there were issues with mulching right up to the stem.

The first time I was using Oaten Chaff as mulch right up to the stem and it formed a surface that 'glued' together. It would have cut off oxygen ... or the atmosphere, anyway.

Second time I was using leaves off trees right up to the stem. After a while these glued together also. When I gave a big feed with Molasses all hell broke loose (in a fungus sortofa way).

IcMag member Tanzanian Magic notes that Molasses may feed anaerobic spores in the soil ... so Molasses may have caused the second outbreak.

I was interested to find that my fungus outbreak only affected plants crossed with Sour Diesel. Is that an Indica? Because Mango Haze treated exactly the same way remained unaffected.

Certainly soggy roots would not help the situation altho I understand Fusarium gets around on the surface of the soil.

Maybe read this company's blog on Fusarium: www.nutri-tech.com.au/blog

Bye from Oz ...

therevverend

Veteran
That branch is looking a little fucked up, is it rotten? I can't quite tell from the picture but it looks a bit like boytritis. Sometimes grey mold will girdle a branch and kill it. The pythium/fusarium wilt didn't damage the stems at all, they looked normal. Any time you see a branch wilting check for boytritis first, if the stalk is healthy start thinking about the roots.

A couple years back in June I found one of my large plants lying on the ground. Violent thoughts filled my head until I looked closer. From the back side the sun doesn't hit, the north side, the grey mold had rotted all the way through the middle of the stem. Like a lumberjack cutting through a tree. There was only a tiny bit of good stem, of course on the side I looked at disguising the rot. The inside was hollowed out. Almost killed the plant, there was one scraggy branch below the mold. I let it go and luckily it turned out to be male.

The stem rot is much more prevalent when the mornings are cool and foggy. It doesn't have to be rainy, when I lost the plant it was sunny warm weather and I've found it plenty of times when it was sunny and warm.

It's another plant disease that plants can be genetically weak towards. The plant that fell over was a Dank Zappa, Bodhi's breeding. Almost every time I've grown it there's been stem rot in some form or another, especially in late September and October. Usually on lower branches near the ground.

Bangi Haze is another strain to keep an eye on. Deep Chunk is bad towards all types of boytritis, I've lost plants to stem rot. Now it's something I watch for.

There's a few preventative measures you can take. Grow healthy strong plants. Remove yellowing leaves, and instead of pulling the entire leaf off the plant cut through the petiole. Leaving a section still attached to the plant so it can slowly dry out and heal. During wet times I've seen boytritis attack the spots where leaves have been removed or parts of the stems or stalk that have been damaged.

Once I find grey mold growing I pour rubbing alcohol over it. The mold spores will turn black and I'll wipe them off with a paper towel. Then smear neosporin or other antibiotic salve all over it. Usually takes care of the problem or at least slows it down.

Here's a shot of a Bangi Haze with the rot a few years back.

picture.php

PDX Dopesmoker

That branch is looking a little fucked up, is it rotten? I can't quite tell from the picture but it looks a bit like boytritis. Sometimes grey mold will girdle a branch and kill it. The pythium/fusarium wilt didn't damage the stems at all, they looked normal. Any time you see a branch wilting check for boytritis first, if the stalk is healthy start thinking about the roots.

A couple years back in June I found one of my large plants lying on the ground. Violent thoughts filled my head until I looked closer. From the back side the sun doesn't hit, the north side, the grey mold had rotted all the way through the middle of the stem. Like a lumberjack cutting through a tree. There was only a tiny bit of good stem, of course on the side I looked at disguising the rot. The inside was hollowed out. Almost killed the plant, there was one scraggy branch below the mold. I let it go and luckily it turned out to be male.

The stem rot is much more prevalent when the mornings are cool and foggy. It doesn't have to be rainy, when I lost the plant it was sunny warm weather and I've found it plenty of times when it was sunny and warm.

It's another plant disease that plants can be genetically weak towards. The plant that fell over was a Dank Zappa, Bodhi's breeding. Almost every time I've grown it there's been stem rot in some form or another, especially in late September and October. Usually on lower branches near the ground.

Bangi Haze is another strain to keep an eye on. Deep Chunk is bad towards all types of boytritis, I've lost plants to stem rot. Now it's something I watch for.

There's a few preventative measures you can take. Grow healthy strong plants. Remove yellowing leaves, and instead of pulling the entire leaf off the plant cut through the petiole. Leaving a section still attached to the plant so it can slowly dry out and heal. During wet times I've seen boytritis attack the spots where leaves have been removed or parts of the stems or stalk that have been damaged.

Once I find grey mold growing I pour rubbing alcohol over it. The mold spores will turn black and I'll wipe them off with a paper towel. Then smear neosporin or other antibiotic salve all over it. Usually takes care of the problem or at least slows it down.

View Image

I get that same stuff on some plants usually around the start of October. I've tried treating it in different ways, but whatever I've done has never stopped it from eventually spreading and the buds on the branches with that fungus tend to be a lot more susceptible to bud rot.
Last year I tried dipping strips of paper towel in lemon juice and wrapping the afflicted area and I also tried burning the fungus with a magnifying glass. Neither ways seemed to prevent further damage, but maybe mitigated it.

Well so far Ive had no more die offs. I think Teddy nailed it. I LST'd the plant and have some.branches that have grown right into the mulch.

Hopefully it's ran its course
We'll see. She looks good tho

Attachments

• Think big scrog
    Think big scrog
    95.8 KB · Views: 42

CannaRed

Cannabinerd

View Image

Damn, I was hoping Bangi Haze to be mold mildew resistant.

One to a new issue.. I want to be back indoors...

Wtf are these? Theyre like glued on to the branches. I THOUGHT aphids but fkd if I know. 20 years indoor growing and the only bugs I EVER had was fungus gnats.

Attachments

• PicsArt_08-15-07.38.06.jpg
    PicsArt_08-15-07.38.06.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Latest posts