What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2gallon Clay Pebble vs 8inch Rockwool

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Rockwool blocks generally need watering once a day in the Vegetative Growth Stage and twice a Day in the Bloom Stage.😎

LostTribe

Premium user
rockwoool can get nasty.

Hydroton is completely inert and can be washed and re used indefinately. Hydroton in a drip system can be feed 24/7 but I recommend not more than once per hour of light time systems I am familar with drip until ebb then off for the rest of the hour. Wash the hydroton several times until you get no clay run off then you are good to go.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Love pebbles. Love. Though hydroton is a little irregular. I like the rounder ones. They riddle better, and if flooded deep, they can be stirred. Not that you want to stir them, but it's easy to plant into them, if they are cleaned and soaked actually in the system. Root in an aero cloner and you have a very sustainable system.

Rockwool.. never again. I spent years getting away from it. It's a health and safety risk to you, that you rarely hear about, and then the environment. It's not good to grow in either. It's old fashioned.

I'm going with Rockwool cause it's easier to store everything in my one bedroom. 50l bag of clay pebbles weighs 50lbs and I would need 4 bags every grow. Then it takes up space filling the pots. Rockwool might use less water also.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Are you listening.
You don't chuck pebbles away each crop. That would be insane.
One of the best things is that you don't fetch anything each crop.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Skunk it's time to get those seeds cracked and growing! Keep us posted on your results and remember learning how to not do something is just as important as learning how to do it, either way, we learn from experience. Happy Gardening Friend. 😎

Hiddenjems

It doesn’t take much of the rocks. I’ve gotten 8 zips off an Afghan in a half full gallon container. Normally I use the 5.5x5.5 containers and get 2-3 zips per if I’m not doing sog. I’m pretty sure you could get a full lb off one plant in a 5.5x5.5 if you trained it right.

In my experience flooding the table very often for the shortest time to get it full works best.

Latest posts

Latest posts