What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

23 Strain Cross with Reversed Black Truffle

als_weed

23 Strain Cross

Here's a guide to the participants:

ANTR - Animal Tree (Lemon Tree x Animal Mints Bx1) Seed Junky

APBN - Apples and Bananas Blue Power, Grand Daddy Purple, Platinum Cookies

BBRD - Big Brad A pheno of YaHemi that's a tribute to Brad

BRLC- Black Rock Lava Cake (Thin Mints x Grape Pie) Ver12 Best Potent Cake

BSCT - Biscotti (Gelato 25 x South Florida OG)

BTFL - Black Truffle (Pure Michigan x White Truffle) breeders cut

CHTN - Chocolatina (Mint Chocolate Chip x Tina) dank chocolate gas Exotic Genetics

GBTH - Gorilla Breath (GG4 x OGKB)

GDGP - Gran Dawgy Purps (Grand Daddy Purple x Chemdog) al's cut

LMIC - Lemon Icee (Lemon Mints x Icee Sherbert) by TikiMadMan

PBRV - Pablo's Revenge (Animal Mints x Sherbert Cake) TikiMadMan

PLCG - Platinum Lemon Cherry Gelato Cannatique cut

PTBK - Point Break (Tropicana Cookies x Trophy Wife) June 2022 HT Centerfold by Phat Panda

PTCK - Platinum Cake (Platinum OG x Wedding Cake)

SBCK - Sherb Cake (Sunset Sherbert x Ice Cream Cake) Chromatic Cultivation cut

SBCP - Sherb Cream Pie Chromatic Cultivation cut

SBRZ - Strawberry Runtz (Strawberry Gelato x Runtz) GRF strain

SKBY - Skunk Berry odiferous old time sativa

SOAP - The Soap (Animal Mints x Kush Mints)

TPCH - Tropical Cherry (Tropicana Cookies x Cherry Cookies) Relentless Genetics

WAGL - White Angel (Hell's Angel's Kush x The White) al's cut

WDGP - Wedding Pie (Wedding Cake x Grape Pie)

WTFL - White Truffle (GG4xPeanut Butter Breath) BeLeaf cut

YAH4 - YaHemi #4 (Project 4561 x Melonatta) Grandiflora Unicorn pheno

So our plan is to cross all of these with a reversed Black Truffle. Combining BTFL's superior buzz and distinctive flavor with any of these winners will produce some spectacular daughters.

And we intend to go find them!

But first, we have to make some seeds.

Let's go back 2 weeks in time and look at our she-male going into the Transition Chamber. Or otherwise known as a cheap panda plastic tent with direct exit air ducting. This lets us grow a big tall plant to produce a lot of pollen over time.

Here's our BTFL in soil getting ready to see her first darkness:

BTX002.jpg

First spray of STS:

BTX003.jpg

We have a huge amount of work ahead that depends on this plant producing viable pollen, so I'm using every trick to make sure of it.

That is the reason for the cotton balls. It increases the contact time and helps with plants that resist reversal. Dunno about BTFL, but I'm not taking any chances.

We will feed her our organic brewed teas and keep her closeted until she transitions in the next 30 days.

Current pic of BTFL trans:

BTX004.jpg

Let's get on to the bloom room.

-al

als_weed

The Bloom Boom Room

We are going to bloom out all participants spread across 2 aero units a week apart. Our plan is to pollenate several times up to 2 weeks from finish.

Here's Our Layout:

BTX005.jpg

Bloom Day 0 Unit 1

Group shot:

BTX006.jpg

The plants are different sizes and ages to try and get them to all finish under the light. Pruning, pinching, and trellis tech will be employed to control this jungle.

We are using a generic nutrition profile that will be a compromise to some, but everyone should make it to the finish.

This is going to be a fun challenge!

As always, your comments and questions are welcome.

-al

als_weed

Bloom Day 2 Unit 1

Trellis Time.

Unit Shot:

BTX007.jpg

Since we have plants of different ages and sizes, the trellis will be used to help control this jungle. I have bottom pruned everyone and removed any damaged leaves. I have aggressively shoot pruned the shortest and slowest plants, while leaving most side branches intact on taller or faster plants.

Strain Cards:

BTX008.jpg

I gather data on all the strains I work with and record it on cards. This lets me calculate stretch ratios, rooting timing, and best prune strategies. Sometimes simple is the most effective. Once this run is complete, this data will be boiled down into a strain digest table, available for everyone to help plan their garden.

As always, your questions and comments are welcome.

-al

TTF_Farms

Now that is what I call a breeding project and TRUE dedication!!! Amazing the work your doing Greenrush as you say truly a cut above the rest!!! Massive love from ttf_farms

als_weed

Bloom Day 7, Unit 1

Unit:

BTX009.jpg

The plants have settled into their trellis. A few are unhappy with the nutes, but most are starting to thrive.

Data:

BTX010.jpg

The reservoir started a little hot because many of our clones had large root masses that drug nutes over from the cloner.

A circled s indicates foliar spray was applied. I have also documented when different pruning methods are used.

Canopy:

BTX011.jpg

Mostly perky plants. We will soon start pinching taller plants to keep them out of the light.

The second aero unit with another 18 plants will kick off in the next couple days. It will have the rest of the participants and some backups.

-al

als_weed

Bloom Day 0, Unit 4

Unit:

BTX012.jpg

Layout:

BTX013.jpg

The second unit with participants for our cross has launched. Everyone has survived the transplant and once again we have plants of different ages and sizes.

An initial bottom prune was given to all. Each plant will get its own custom prune from now on.

We got male flowers!

BTX014.jpg

Our She-Male:

BTX015.jpg

Reversing a plant is never a sure thing. So seeing such a strong response and so many male clusters is a breath of relief.

The discoloration is from the Silver doing its thing.

Time to break out the pollen collector!

-al

als_weed

She-Male Update

When making seeds, obviously generating pollen and at the right time, is critical. So I'm pretty pumped that our Black Truffle has balled up right on schedule.

The flowers are due to start opening in the next few days and we need to prep for the momentous occasion.

Pollen Collection Tray:

BTX016.jpg

A big drip tray modified with a Skill saw does the trick. It's sturdy, smooth, and black. Makes it easy to see and scoop out the pollen.

Ready to Drop Pollen:

BTX017.jpg

I've removed all the large fan leaves. They were silver-burned and get in the way of the falling pollen. The oscillating fan is unplugged, and the exit fan is turned down.

Now we just wait for the purple speckled flowers to open!

-al

als_weed

Bloom Day 14, Unit 1

Unit:

BTX018.jpg

Data:

BTX019.jpg

The plants have started eating regularly and growing steadily. WTFL is the only participant looking unhappy. Thankfully we have 2 looking good in the backup unit.

I did a couple swaps before the roots get locked in.

Swaps:

BTX020.jpg

The next week or so is when we get maximum growth rates. So it's time to pinch and prune like a madman!

-al

als_weed

Bloom Day 7, Unit 4

Unit:

BTX021.jpg

Data:

BTX022.jpg

The plants have started to eat, and I have done one shoot prune beyond their initial bottom prune. Everyone has perked, and there are no obvious laggards.

The trellis is coming soon!

-al

als_weed

A Study in White Truffle

Here are 2 clones of the same age that started bloom one week apart. They were both vibrant and healthy at the beginning, but here's what they look like today:

Sickly:

BTX023.jpg

Healthy:

BTX024.jpg

The sickly version in unit 1 locked out within days of transplant to bloom. I left the damaged leaves on because those were the only fans the plant had left! I treated the plant with aero tea dribbled into the netpot, directly onto the rootmass. This helps the plant recover with fresh soldiers and nutes. The plant still has issues, but will survive.

So when I put TWO of these plants in unit 4 a week later, you can imagine my trepidation. However they both are thriving with no difference in care.

The data shows that unit 1 started with a ppm of right around 400, while unit 4 started around 380. The unit 1 plant suffered root damage from getting burned and starting a spiral of disfunction. It appears that WTFL is sensitive to high ppms and will require a little extra observation.

The root cause of the problem is the large root masses that were transplanted into the bloom room drug considerable nutes from the cloner to the res. My solution is to do a lite nute rinse on any substantial root masses on clones going to bloom. Plain RO causes osmotic stress, so quarter strength veg nutes will be used.

The lesson is that shit will still happen, no matter how much you think you have it together. However if you view it as an opportunity, poop soup is a lot like lemonaid in our quest for beautiful buds.

-al

als_weed

She-Male Update

We have Pollen!

BTX025.jpg

BTX026.jpg

The first flowers have opened, and we have pollen! Right on schedule, we can begin collecting pollen in the next few days.

I will be storing and freezing it until we will be ready to start using it in a couple weeks.

Just happy to hit this milestone. A whole lot of effort and resources went into getting to this point. So seeing that tiny bit of magic dust gave me a smile I'm still wearing.

-al

als_weed

Bloom Day 21, Unit 1

Unit:

BTX027.jpg

Data:

BTX028.jpg

We have happy plants everywhere except for WTFL, who is still lagging behind. The plants have continued to eat steadily, and I did their final prune. I will be taking out the intermediate bud zone leaves soon, in preparation for the first pollination.

Big Brad:

BTX029.jpg

BBRD had some extra veg time to give her a larger base. That investment is about to pay off with an explosive bloom stalk.

-al

TTF_Farms

She-Male Update

We have Pollen!

View attachment 18766379

View attachment 18766380

The first flowers have opened, and we have pollen! Right on schedule, we can begin collecting pollen in the next few days.

I will be storing and freezing it until we will be ready to start using it in a couple weeks.

Just happy to hit this milestone. A whole lot of effort and resources went into getting to this point. So seeing that tiny bit of magic dust gave me a smile I'm still wearing.

-al
Great work Al souch to learn from you!! Thank you for your work!

als_weed

First Pollen Collected!

BTX030.jpg

Here's our first collection results. I will leave the flowers in the bag for now. They will get sifted out before we do any long term storage.

For now, we will collect every day at the end of the day, and store in the freezer.

-al

Latest posts

Latest posts