What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2024 Market Gardens

hfm

Ducks,I love ducks!That's a beautiful garden and with all that water for a backdrop,Wow!Are you able to walk on your bare feet there?Really great photos thank you for sharing those :)
Some super yummy looking pumpkins,we grew some neat ones last year.Heres a few,the yellow columbine is a natural cross that is on the first year.The bees love it so hopefully it'll come back.
1000018730.jpg
1000018726.jpg
1000018727.jpg
1000018722.jpg
1000018723.jpg
1000018724.jpg

oldmaninbc

Ducks,I love ducks!That's a beautiful garden and with all that water for a backdrop,Wow!Are you able to walk on your bare feet there?Really great photos thank you for sharing those :)
Some super yummy looking pumpkins,we grew some neat ones last year.Heres a few,the yellow columbine is a natural cross that is on the first year.The bees love it so hopefully it'll come back.
Love your photos, the dominant color for the columbine I have is yellow. Your first photo with the purple color I don't believe I have seen that in my mix, I like that color. I have 2 tone, yellow and purple or yellow and orange, I might have a whitish colored one as well. last year I started separating the seed into individual colors. I mostly just let them seed naturally, for the last 12 years or so.
The clematis look good, I really like the pink or fuchsia color, sorry my color pallete description is not the best.
Thanks for the photos, I have a huge appreciation for plants in general and very fond of flowers for their color and beauty. I don't have any blooming flowers yet.
I think my computer is going to have a breakdown, making lots of noises and turning itself off.

You asked about walking barefoot around the Japanese Garden. The lake at that part of town is probably about a mile in width and probably about half that is walkable beach. I like to walk it in July/August in the morning before the beach crowd comes out. I 'll put up some photos to give you an idea.
The 2nd photo is standing outside the Japanese Garden to the east as you follow along the lakeshore it is a city park, a garden, beach and the public marina.
The 4th photo shows the resort/convention center on the left, the Japanese Garden is behind that building. the other photos show to the west of the convention center, there is rocky and sandy beach all the way.

Okanagan Lake is to the north of Penticton and what is really nice at the south end of Penticton is Skaha Lake, it is not as big as Okanagan Lake but still substantial in size, the water is somewhat warmer. It has a very nice beach and public park. I don't have any photos of that area. We like to take in both beaches and parks for variety.
1713383367497.jpeg
1713383182734.jpeg
1713386189464.jpeg
1713383040702.jpeg

oldmaninbc

I see a paddleboat! Great pictures I will come back after some contemplation ;) enjoy the day!
Oh yeah, it's all about the summer tourist trade, you can rent just about any type of water craft.

Down by the resort is a good sized pier, my wife and I love to sit there and watch the young people being towed around on the banana boat, watching them being thrown off, they are just full of laughter and so are we.
I can't wait for my hernia surgery next week so I can get back out and enjoy those summer days around the water and people watching. In the summer along that stretch of beach where you can see the ship, it becomes very lively in the evening, people of all ages cruising the strip. We like to sit there and watch the sunset.

I grew up around beaches the joy of them has never left me.

And a special cookie makes everything that much better.

hfm

Oh yeah, it's all about the summer tourist trade, you can rent just about any type of water craft.

Down by the resort is a good sized pier, my wife and I love to sit there and watch the young people being towed around on the banana boat, watching them being thrown off, they are just full of laughter and so are we.
I can't wait for my hernia surgery next week so I can get back out and enjoy those summer days around the water and people watching. In the summer along that stretch of beach where you can see the ship, it becomes very lively in the evening, people of all ages cruising the strip. We like to sit there and watch the sunset.

I grew up around beaches the joy of them has never left me.

And a special cookie makes everything that much better.
Sounds like a wonderful time and a great place to live ;)
Those danged hernias are terrible.I had one starting five or so years ago about the same time a few discs herniated :(
The discs slowed me way down,enough that the inguinal hernia mostly healed up.If super strenuous activities are going on its a bothersome booger for sure but most the time we do alright :)
We have a lake here so we don't leave for recreation anymore and unfortunately aren't able to people watch now.There are some nice advantages though.
1000018732.jpg

oldmaninbc

Sounds like a wonderful time and a great place to live ;)
Those danged hernias are terrible.I had one starting five or so years ago about the same time a few discs herniated :(
The discs slowed me way down,enough that the inguinal hernia mostly healed up.If super strenuous activities are going on its a bothersome booger for sure but most the time we do alright :)
We have a lake here so we don't leave for recreation anymore and unfortunately aren't able to people watch now.There are some nice advantages though. View attachment 18989825
I have a creek in my backyard but would rather have a lake. :)
We like to fish and in our old age we no longer have to pay for a licence for freshwater fishing. Because of all my degenerative bone issues casting is a painful experience. Some casting is OK but minimal. I think of the salmon fishing I have done in rivers, that won't ever happen again. I have a system for lake shore fishing that works well, we have a small lake about a ten minute drive from here. It's a popular, easy to get to fishing lake, best fishing in cooler months. Ice fishing in the winter. In my younger days getting back in the mountains to smaller hard to get to lakes was my first choice. I have had some great fun fishing trips, I could talk for hours about them.

My son came from Calgary and we met half way at a small mountain fishing resort, that was my last fishing trip. This was our campfire supper, I prefer the Kokanee over the trout.
1713560121666.jpeg

Who is the little white dog?

I've spent most of my life living in the country, it was always my preferred choice. Now being older not so much, health issues not being able to drive. I would move from the country NOW to the small city I showed photos of but my wife has other plans, LOL, She grew up in Lansing Michigan, later moved to Houston Texas, until we met on the internet. In the last 25 years we have mostly lived in the country/island and she does not want to leave the country. She is willing to move 10 minutes down the road to the village of about 1600 people.

hfm

I have a creek in my backyard but would rather have a lake. :)
We like to fish and in our old age we no longer have to pay for a licence for freshwater fishing. Because of all my degenerative bone issues casting is a painful experience. Some casting is OK but minimal. I think of the salmon fishing I have done in rivers, that won't ever happen again. I have a system for lake shore fishing that works well, we have a small lake about a ten minute drive from here. It's a popular, easy to get to fishing lake, best fishing in cooler months. Ice fishing in the winter. In my younger days getting back in the mountains to smaller hard to get to lakes was my first choice. I have had some great fun fishing trips, I could talk for hours about them.

My son came from Calgary and we met half way at a small mountain fishing resort, that was my last fishing trip. This was our campfire supper, I prefer the Kokanee over the trout. View attachment 18990087

Who is the little white dog?

I've spent most of my life living in the country, it was always my preferred choice. Now being older not so much, health issues not being able to drive. I would move from the country NOW to the small city I showed photos of but my wife has other plans, LOL, She grew up in Lansing Michigan, later moved to Houston Texas, until we met on the internet. In the last 25 years we have mostly lived in the country/island and she does not want to leave the country. She is willing to move 10 minutes down the road to the village of about 1600 people.
Nice catch :) Its wonderful to remember those times shared with fish,better to go make more ;)
Used to like to eat golden trout from the coldest high up creeks in CA. Thats rad you are still able to do some shore fishing!
The white shadow,he's a neat little buddy of mine.Figures he can help me do anything if he can just get in the middle of it first and sniff things out some.Here he splashes up and down the bank in which ever direction I cast and scares fish to my lure,or thats a good point of view I suppose...
We got him at a shelter as a puppy when we first got out here and have been trying to spoil him rotten since.He is full of shenanigans but has an impressive handle on him.
Do you have any little buddies that keep you and your wife company?
It sounds like you two have some fun adventures together :)

oldmaninbc

Nice catch :) Its wonderful to remember those times shared with fish,better to go make more ;)
Used to like to eat golden trout from the coldest high up creeks in CA. Thats rad you are still able to do some shore fishing!
The white shadow,he's a neat little buddy of mine.Figures he can help me do anything if he can just get in the middle of it first and sniff things out some.Here he splashes up and down the bank in which ever direction I cast and scares fish to my lure,or thats a good point of view I suppose...
We got him at a shelter as a puppy when we first got out here and have been trying to spoil him rotten since.He is full of shenanigans but has an impressive handle on him.
Do you have any little buddies that keep you and your wife company?
It sounds like you two have some fun adventures together :)
The tenacious nature of little dogs knows no bounds. Your white shadow looks like a cutie. I can easily picture in my mind him out fishing with you and him being the whole reason why you got any fish at all.:)
I've owned a couple of dogs but mostly cats. Are last cat was from the animal shelter and he was the smartest animal I have ever had. He died a few years back from cancer.
We both feel we are too old to care for an animal and are concerned by it out living us. It would break my heart to raise an animal with love only to have it end who knows where.

Reactions: hfm