What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2022 by the Danube: ZamZamKullu, PCK and China Yunnan

yoss33

Veteran
Good day and a good 2022 season, everybody!
I'll use this thread as a grow log for my 2022 outdoor adventures. The opening post will not be long, as I don't have much time at the moment, will just post the photos of the seedlings that I took yesterday. Hopefully will add more in the following days.
In short, the strains that I'll be growing one seed of each outdoors, but started more seeds for selection and finding a PCK male to make some crosses with:

3 x ZamZamKullu, which is a homemade back-cross - Zamaldelica x (Zamaldelica x Kullu) by Ace Seeds and Khalifa Genetics:

1 x PurpMex x ZamKullu - again a homemade cross of Purple Mexican x (Zamaldelica x Kullu) by Cannabiogen, Ace Seeds and Khalifa Genetics:
ZamZamKullu

7 x Pakistan Chitral Kush, by Ace Seeds:
ZamZamKullu

3 x China Yunnan, again by Ace Seeds:
ZamZamKullu

and 2 x Kullu, by Khalifa Genetics, that will be used only for producing seeds:
ZamZamKullu

And a photo of a clone of the mother Zamaldelica, uploaded because this damned thing doesn't let me post the thread if I don't "upload" at least one photo, the photos above seem not to count...

Attachments

• IMG_1138.JPG
    IMG_1138.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1138.JPG
    IMG_1138.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1139.JPG
    IMG_1139.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 65
  • photo2122530.jpg
    photo2122530.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 64

lemonade

Veteran
Oooh very nice!! It's been a few days since you posted how are those babies doin'?

How about and update! 😀😁

yoss33

Veteran
Not much progress for the last week. I'm waiting for the plants to start showing sex, hopefully after a week or so. Some of them (Kullu and China Yunnan) have their cotyledons getting pale, so all plants just had their first salts (NPK 6-4-4).
I'm growing 7 PCKs with the hope to find a nice male that preferably has a late start of flowering that its children inherit and don't start to flower in August when the wild hemp around still spreads pollen. The plan is to pollinate with it 5 females: one of its sisters (again, a late flower-starter) for some late-flowering PCK seeds, a China Yunnan female (again, a late flowering one), a Kullu female, a clone of the Zamaldelica (mother of ZamZamKullu) and another clone - of a Purple Mexican (mother of the PurpMex x ZamKullu). I will switch to 11/13 lights after 2-3 weeks and when pollination is successful, I'll transplant the mothers outdoors to finish under the sun after which all of them apart from the PCK and China Yunnan will be culled. These 2 will be left to reveg in the summer and have normal flowering for buds in the autumn.
The plants are mature enough to explore the stem-rub and top-sniffing smells.
Out of 7 PCKs, the one with the fattest small dark leaves has very good strong hashy stem and top smell, another one with dark small leaves also has strong stem smell and detectable top smell, the stem smell is not so hashy though, more plastic/rubber kind. A third PCK (the last to sprout, which is also the tallest and the most pale green) also has strong stem smell, rubber with sweet. The other 4 PCKs don't smell.
Out of the 3 China Yunnans, #2 that is the tallest, pale, with biggest leaves, is the strongest smeller. The stem smell is citric-fruity, not very different from the Zam mother's citrus & cherry stem smell.
The PurpMex x ZamKullu has moderate stem smell which is a louder version of the Purple Mexican mother's discreet somewhat indica stem smell (rubber and astringent).
2 of the 3 ZamZamKullus have the lovely citric & cherry Zam stem smell of their mother, very well expressed. One of these 2 plants, despite being the most compact one, has some features that remind of its Kullu grand-father - very green (no purple and red), coarse strong leaf serration, and some herbal+metal flavor added to the citric & cherry.

China Yunnan:
China Yunnan

PCK:
PCK

PCK

PurpMex x ZamKullu:
PurpMex x ZamKullu

ZamZamKullu:
ZamZamKullu

yoss33

Veteran
Some photos from 2 weeks ago of all the plants.
A week ago I switched the lighting to 12/12 to flower the plants that are left in the grow box.

ZamZamKullu.
The tallest (and darkest) plant that first started to bring out pistils was chosen to be transplanted outdoors. The green shortest one was given to a friend to grow outdoors. Unfortunately, the favorite one (the one in the middle on the photo) is still not showing its sex in a definite way.
View media item 18123117
Kullu
The 2 Kullus too are yet to show their sex.
View media item 18123120

yoss33

Veteran
And here are several photos of what's in the flowering tent right now.

The 2 Kullu. The funny thing is that at some point I saw that the plant with the thinner leaves is bringing out female preflowers, so I up-potted it. But then the very small preflowers started looking more like male ones, and in the same time the other plant started bringing out what looked like female preflowers, so I swapped their pots. And then the small preflowers of both plants just stopped developing. So I still don't know their sex.
View media item 18123122
View media item 18123123

Here's the big China Yunnan. It's tall, vigorous and smelly (both top and stem). Its stem smell started turning pretty attractive in the last week.
View media item 18123124
The other 2 China Yunnans turned out male and one of them is kept, it has nice hashy smell. I'm not sure if I'm going to use it though. Here it is next to the 2 PCK males, the CY is the shortest plant on the left side of the photo. In the middle is the dark pungent hashy-smelly PCK plant that I'm very happy to have turned out male, and on the right side is the tall green PCK that also turned out to be a male. Happy that 2 out of the 3 most promising (by smell) PCK plants are males. The dark-color one is the favorite, not sure if the pollen of the green one will be used.
View media item 18123125
And here are 3 of the PCK females, the chosen one in a pot in the middle. It's a very stinky one (hash and a bit of unpleasant skunky smell). It will be pollinated by the dark PCK male. I'm not sure what I'll pollinate the other 2 females with, I'm flowering them just to have a better idea of PCK's variety.
View media item 18123126
The nice ZamZamKullu plant that, like the Kullu, is not in a hurry to show its sex.
View media item 18123128
And a photo of 2 Zamaldelica and 2 Purple Mexican clones (of my preserved mothers) that are going to be pollinated. With pollen from the dark PCK male and still not sure from what else - Kullu or ZamZamKullu or China Yunnan or the green PCK male, we'll see...
View media item 18123127

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks for the new thread @yoss33 :) and for exploring this year pure PCK and re released pure China Yunnan in regular seeds.
Glad to see them beside your own hybrids. Hope you find interesting parental plants from each strain to achieve your growing and breeding goals.
China Yunnan is not that resistant for wet climates, but PCK does. Did you produce any New Caledonia hybrid ?

Take care, dubi

yoss33

Veteran
Thank you, @dubi !
Last year I made Zamaldelica x New Caledonia seeds and had a taste of a few small tester plants from these seeds. The results were good, the effect was somewhere between the 2 parent lines and the smell was different than both :) Will experiment more with these seeds and with New Caledonia in the following years, this year is the year of the PCK for me! New Caledonia / PCK sounds sweet, but I was simply out of capacity to also start a few New Caledonia plants to produce the cross. Decided to bet on the Kullu, because I love the mix of 50% Purple Mexican and 50% Kullu on the pipe. I hope Kullu x PCK to have the same spirit.
I'm fairly excited for playing with PCK and being able to make some seeds with it. I need a pleasant clean indica both for me and for medicine for a family member. I really dig the Purple Mexican clone that I keep, mostly for its rich flavor and strong pleasant high, and it looks and feels mostly on the PCK parent side, so this PCK line must be a good one.
I removed the males from the flowering box several days ago as I got tired of picking unopened flowers to avoid random pollination. Here are the 3 of them right before going to the balcony.
View media item 18701367

Both Kullus seem to be female (still no pistils though) and the ZamZamKullu plant left under 12/12 is female but with male flowers on one node.
Will take new photos of the flowering females in some of the next days.

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi yoss33 PCK is indeed a great indica line to shorten sativas flowering times, increase cold resistant and adapt them to latitudes and climates like yours, without adding sensibility against botrytis or too much lethargy and numbing effects to the hybrids. Zamaldelica x New Caledonia mus tbe really interesting :) what kind of different outcome did you find from your combination of these 2 lines ? Love to follow the development of your grows and breeding projects!

yoss33

Veteran
I've had only a few very very small tester plants of Zam x New Caledonia last year (seeds were produced in the summer, so no time for bigger plants), that made a total of 3 smoking sessions x 1 big hit each :) Some photos and description can be found at the last page of last-year's thread - https://www.icmag.com/threads/new-caledonia-and-zamaldelica-x-kullu-on-the-chernozem.17819002/page-4

Back to this year's grow, I've pollinated 1 Zamaldelica cut and 1 Purple Mexican cut with pollen from the dark PCK male, and the 2 plants are already transplanted outdoors to produce the seeds before being discarded.
The chosen stinky PCK female, the other purple PCK female and the China Yunnan female are also pollinated by the dark PCK male and I'm waiting for the pistils to start shrivelling (confirming the pollination) before transplanting them outdoors.
I was going to pollinate the remaining green PCK female (which is also starting to get pale red colors in the flowers), another Purple Mexican clone, another Zamaldelica clone and the Kullus with the green PCK male. But today I saw that the lankier beautiful Kullu is finally showing flowers and it's a male. So I'll use it for pollination of these 3 females and discard the other Kullu plant. It still hasn't shown sex, has fatter leaves and something that looks like Ca deficiency, that's present in about half of the plants from the Kullu seeds that I produced from my first grow. These plants are very vigorous, but start showing this deficiency when rootbound. Maybe it's fixable (feeding, adjusting the pH, etc.), but I prefer just discarding these plants. The male is also a large plant that is completely rootbound in a 400ml cup, have received only one NPK feeding in its life a moth ago, only tap water otherwise, and it's still a very happy healthy plant. Just a little scorched on the leaves too close to the lights :)

View media item 18701540
The green-red PCK (with a branch of Purple Mexican visible in the background), waiting for the Kullu pollen:
View media item 18701537
The 3 plants, pollinated by the dark PCK male, waiting to be transplanted outdoors in a few days:
View media item 18701539
View media item 18701538
View media item 18701536
View media item 18701534
View media item 18701535
The dark stinky PCK female looks and smells ferocious, a little deformed on the top by being too close to the light. It has the largest trichomes from the 3 PCK females, though I must say that now that I can smell their flowering smell, they all have a very similar seducing indica smell, that I haven't smelled in a very very long time, bring some memories of a Kush plant, grown by a friend some 20 years ago :) The dark female has more deep hashy notes added.

yoss33

Veteran
A quick update of what's outdoors.

The 3 seeded indica plants (2 x PCK and 1 x China Yunnan).
The China Yunnan was strangely burned by the sun at the places it touched the black plastic bag covering it during transportation. Never had such a mishap before.
View media item 18701836
The PurpleMexican x ZamKullu.
I think I overdid it fertilizing my soil this year, for now only in a good way :) Both big outdoor plants (this and the ZamZamKullu) are exploding with big fat hybrid leaves and stems, same with my tomato plants. They all look like body-builders. Soil in the top 20cm is 50% compost and 5% zeolite.
View media item 18701837
View media item 18701838
ZamZamKullu
View media item 18701839
View media item 18701840
And here's the other ZamZamKullu plant, the initially chosen one, that delayed showing sex, then had some male flowers in its lower part and only female flowers on its top. I manually removed all male flowers.
View media item 18701841

Azure

The China Yunnan was strangely burned by the sun at the places it touched the black plastic bag covering it during transportation. Never had such a mishap before.
View media item 18701836
The Bag Burn! This exact thing happened to me this year for the very fist time as well.
My buddy came over with his truck to pick up bunch of plants, we covered them with various plastic bags and we went to outdoor garden less than 10 minutes away. By the time we got there, the tops of a Kandahar Black and a few Item #9's had the same exact bag burn while the two Panama x PNG were fine. These plants were covered using his bags.
I used my black contractor bags to cover a Bangi Haze and Bubba Hash and these didn't suffer bag burn.
I'll have to find out what kind of bags my buddy used. Maybe these bags came with a chemical scent sprayed inside.

Azure

View media item 18701836
My buddy used scented kitchen bags to cover plants which burned them. What ever nasty chemicals are in those bags work faster than any herbicide we can buy at the market.
Imagine if they sold it as a concentrate.

yoss33

Veteran
I don't think the particular bag was the cause in my case. The 3 seeded plants were covered together by the same bag, I also used it when transplanting the PMxZamKullu and ZamZamKullu. None of the other plants had any issue. It seems the China Yunnan is more sensitive. It actually continues to suffer, with more of the top dying, the disease slowly progressing downwards. Now it looks like some fungal disease. I hope to be able to harvest some seeds after all, though this sensitivity doesn't make the plant a very attractive parent.
Here it is now:
View media item 18702148
We are having a rainy few days now, so the fungal resistance of the plants will definitely get tested. Together with the 2 seeded PCKs:
View media item 18702145
View media item 18702146
View media item 18702147

The PurpleMexican x ZamKullu:
View media item 18702138
View media item 18702139
View media item 18702140

And the ZamZamKullu, already just above 2 meters, with the seeded Zam mother clone in its feet. The hermy ZamZamKullu that was also transplanted there was culled, as it started to reveg very quickly, so I couldn't get "buds" to try.
View media item 18702141
View media item 18702142
View media item 18702143
View media item 18702144

yoss33

Veteran
Thanks, Funkalicious! A beautiful plant it is, as all its siblings, the children of the Zam mother which herself is a beauty queen :)

I just harvested the PCK, China Yunnan and Zam mother, all seeded by the dark PCK male. PCK:
View media item 18702423
View media item 18702424
China Yunnan:
View media item 18702425
And the 2 big plants. PurpleMex x ZamKullu:
View media item 18702426
View media item 18702427
View media item 18702428
ZamZamKullu:
View media item 18702429
View media item 18702430
The Zam mother, grown at exactly the same place 4 years ago, just for a reference:
View media item 17355905

Latest posts

Latest posts