What's new

2 315w or 1 600w

Cipherx256

I have a 3.5ft x 4.6ft grow area and I'm trying to decide between a double level 315w CMH set up or a single 600w set up. Due to the final 315 set up having more ven coverage due to the double reflector, will it penetrate the canopy as much as a single 600w set up. I was looking at the phantom duel 315 CMH system.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i have a 4x3.5ft tent and use '2' 315's with phillip bulbs... last couple of grows i have added cheap led's i have as side lights as i think 2x315 is a little lite on light...

goingrey

You might want to look at the specs of the particular lights you're planning on using but in general 600W should have a better efficacy (more light generated for each watt) and better foliage penetration, and should cover your entire tent just fine. It's what I would choose out of these two options for sure.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
If I already had the 315s with Philips lamps, then I would use them. They are worth 1.9 per watt, while a 600 green power is worth 1.7 per watt.

The 600 can be magnetic though, while the 315 is electronic. I don't particularly like electronic ballasts, though it's not the end of the world if you buy branded kit. I have had poor 10w LED drivers make more RF noise than decent 600w electronic ballasts. You must stick to proper brands though. Not plant equipment brands, real brands like Philips.

In a new setup, It can only be a magnetic 600 imo. Only Philips Green Power lamps. Nothing else even interests me. They last a year or two.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i have been using '2' 315's with phillip bulbs on my 4x3.5ft tent , and gotta say i am not happy with the results - besides having a 1/2 dozen 'cheap' , shitty led's , i have a 1000w hps/mh - i'm thinking of using it next grow.... my problem is heat in the tent - on a 32 degree day outside , my tent usually is in the mid 70's, sometimes topping out at 80 - if the 1000watter add's just a bit of heat, i should not have a problem.... if it starts to add 15/20degrees, then there is a problem...

well i set the 1000watter in an empty tent , on a cold/cold day outside, n the temp was 92.... i'd guess if the temps went up to the norm for this time of the year into the mid 30's... i'd be approaching 100... so unfort it appeaars i'll have t continue with the 2 315's and a shitty weight at the end...

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
I run both set ups in my 5x10 (600 with hortilux super hps over 5x5 and 2 315's with Phillips over the other 5x5) and like them both. If I was you I would go the 600 route for cost savings of equipment and ease of setup. Good luck

Latest posts

Latest posts