What's new

1st grow (autoflower). How close to harvest? How much damage done? Thanks. Pictures included

kreikrei

Hi guys,

My apologies for bad trichome pictures, my hand is too shaky and I just couldnt stabilize the usb microscope.

This is my first grow. Almost killed my babies by underfeeding and underwatering them on week 5 (lost all fan leaves), but they seem to have bounced back. Its day 89, should have finished by now (based on grow diaries on this strain), but my underfeeding might have delayed the harvest a week or two probably

Strain: Banana kush auto by anesia seeds
Biobizz light mi and nutes (grow, bloom, topmax, activera, algamic)
Day 87
3x3 tent ,
390watt of light (kingbrite +mars ts1000)
temps good, but last 3 weeks a bit too hot - 90-100F
Humidity decent - about 40%

PROBLEMS during grow:
a) Almost killed them on week 5 due to underfeeding. All fan leaves yellowed and died.,
b) Days 70-90 from seed have been 90-100 F in tent - much too ho for an indica.
c) Nute burn after I underfed them. I think nute burn is also visible in pictures, yes?
d) Took smaller/lower buds for test (feel a decent effect, but not too strong) and hey had 2 SEEDS.
Havent seen more seeds, but they may have hermied from the stress right?

I would appreciate if someone answered even one of the following questions.

1) What DAMAGE do you see? Is it visible that the plant almost died on days 30-37? (lost all fan leaves due to severe deficiencies and underwatering) Is there any damage?
Also - the small leaves (calyx?) which are brownish in colour are VERY dry and brittle and "crunchy"

2) Does the browning of calyxes is normal or the heat might be the problem? From day 70 to day 88 it has been 90-95 Fahrenheit inside the tent, and its an indica, I also have no AC sadly.

3) Looking at full plant pictures and bad quality (sorry) trichome pics - any guess, how long to go? The plant seems to be starting to drink less. Usually I water 2.5 - 3 liters (its a 12 litre pot) and it takes about 80-96 hours to dry. Last week has been 96+ hours to dry.

Also the white pistils have been receding/not developing any new ones for the last week

Thanks for any input, folks!

Attachments

• hmm.jpg
    hmm.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 111
  • lmm.jpg
    lmm.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 79
  • rmm.jpg
    rmm.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 88
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-07-24 at 1.07.04 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-24 at 1.07.04 PM.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 89
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-07-24 at 1.07.19 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-24 at 1.07.19 PM.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 83
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-07-24 at 1.07.36 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-24 at 1.07.36 PM.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 111
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-07-24 at 1.07.48 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-24 at 1.07.48 PM.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 114

pjlive

This is just my opinion, so please take it lightly.

I'd say if your plant isn't ready right now, you can harvest it at will when you feel it's done. If 10 percent or more of the plants buds are drying, I'd say you're done and have been done. But that's just my opinion on harvest times for an auto given the info you've provided.

I think it's amazing your auto handled the amount of stress you describe. That alone shows you have some very good genetics there as well as some good gardening skills. You're not likely going to be able to judge your harvest time by the coloration of your trichome bulbs. It's very possible they will remain clear for the most part. Rather, in your case, you might be able to know more by the stickiness of your buds combined with the overall scent the plant is emitting. If you've got a good strong scent, it's probably a good time to pull the plug on her. But, even there, many auto-flowers don't even produce that pungent of a scent. So, it's really about timing in the end.

You mention you're approaching 90 days. Given that this plant has had to be defoliated and cropped to clear away the dead material, it's very likely to be ready right now. I wouldn't let it go too much beyond 100 days. But, again, that's just me and my opinion on it. You might just want to let it die right in the pot -- but you might not find the effect you were initially hoping for.

One last time, I think it's really amazing your auto plant tolerated such initial trauma. For an auto-flower, I'd say you've done an exceptional job here.

kreikrei

This is just my opinion, so please take it lightly.

I'd say if your plant isn't ready right now, you can harvest it at will when you feel it's done. If 10 percent or more of the plants buds are drying, I'd say you're done and have been done. But that's just my opinion on harvest times for an auto given the info you've provided.

I think it's amazing your auto handled the amount of stress you describe. That alone shows you have some very good genetics there as well as some good gardening skills. You're not likely going to be able to judge your harvest time by the coloration of your trichome bulbs. It's very possible they will remain clear for the most part. Rather, in your case, you might be able to know more by the stickiness of your buds combined with the overall scent the plant is emitting. If you've got a good strong scent, it's probably a good time to pull the plug on her. But, even there, many auto-flowers don't even produce that pungent of a scent. So, it's really about timing in the end.

You mention you're approaching 90 days. Given that this plant has had to be defoliated and cropped to clear away the dead material, it's very likely to be ready right now. I wouldn't let it go too much beyond 100 days. But, again, that's just me and my opinion on it. You might just want to let it die right in the pot -- but you might not find the effect you were initially hoping for.

One last time, I think it's really amazing your auto plant tolerated such initial trauma. For an auto-flower, I'd say you've done an exceptional job here.
Thank you, I appreciate such a lengthy reply :)

It is interesting. I posted the same qustione elsewhere and someone seemingly knowledgable said "I would call it a learning experience and start a new grow.
Screw harvest time
It’s all skewed once all those sugar leaves die
It doesn’t matter how long you go it won’t reach optimal potency and will taste like dung
Sorry
I would cut my losses and move on"

You both seem to agree, that the plant is/was stressed out, yet your harvest time suggestions differ - now vs wait a bit.

This is not me trying to sound argumentative or anything like that, just thought you might find such answer interesting.

Can you pkease tell me why you think "You're not likely going to be able to judge your harvest time by the coloration of your trichome bulbs. It's very possible they will remain clear for the most part. Sounds interesting..
Also, there wont be much harm if I donbt harvest now but a bit later?
Can cannabis actually "die" in the pot and be rendered usless?( I know about THC conversion to CBN) And if you are right about my trichomes possibly not changing colour, it might result in a CBN heavy high, despite trichomes being white?

Sorry for the long rant, feel free not to reply lol.
You gave me really good info in your first comment, I appreciate it!

Last edited:

pjlive

Thank you, I appreciate such a lengthy reply :)

It is interesting. I posted the same qustione elsewhere and someone seemingly knowledgable said "I would call it a learning experience and start a new grow.
Screw harvest time
It’s all skewed once all those sugar leaves die
It doesn’t matter how long you go it won’t reach optimal potency and will taste like dung
Sorry
I would cut my losses and move on"

You both seem to agree, that the plant is/was stressed out, yet your harvest time suggestions differ - now vs wait a bit.

This is not me trying to sound argumentative or anything like that, just thought you might find such answer interesting.

Can you pkease tell me why you think "You're not likely going to be able to judge your harvest time by the coloration of your trichome bulbs. It's very possible they will remain clear for the most part. Sounds interesting..
Also, there wont be much harm if I donbt harvest now but a bit later?
Can cannabis actually "die" in the pot and be rendered usless?( I know about THC conversion to CBN) And if you are right about my trichomes possibly not changing colour, it might result in a CBN heavy high, despite trichomes being white?

Sorry for the long rant, feel free not to reply lol.
You gave me really good info in your first comment, I appreciate it!
Oh, hey. No problem.

There's more than one way to think and go about a harvest like that. To me, the plant is done doing its thing and I was trying to say that, if it was mine, I'd probably harvest it right now. Then I went on with some things thinking that "if" you decided to let the plant go longer -- these are my thoughts on it kind of thing, you know?

On trichome bulbs, it's my experience that many autos trichs don't really darken or turn amber over time (some do) -- even when they're long past optimal harvest times. After significant stress it seems to be even worse. Although that hasn't happened to me too many times. But, the message I was trying to convey there is that if you're waiting for cloudy or amber trichomes, you might be waiting into 2024.

And as far as timing, what I mean there is that it's a personal thing. I sometimes let my plants die right in the pot because I like a narcotic effect most of the time. I'm the type of user who likes to go into very deep stones. I'm wired for sound naturally so it takes quite a plant to slow me down. Letting them die in the pot isn't exactly ideal with an auto but works really well with photoperiods. For me, anyway. The point, though, was that I have no idea how you like to harvest your plants and thought I'd just toss out those ideas in just in case you found them helpful.

Overall, though, I completely agree with @Mitsuharu's reply on the other thread. If you're asking if you can just harvest now and get going on your next plants, my first answer is "yes." But, again, I don't want to influence you either way. I think you should do what you think is best for your needs, interests, or whatever.

kreikrei

Oh, hey. No problem.

There's more than one way to think and go about a harvest like that. To me, the plant is done doing its thing and I was trying to say that, if it was mine, I'd probably harvest it right now. Then I went on with some things thinking that "if" you decided to let the plant go longer -- these are my thoughts on it kind of thing, you know?

On trichome bulbs, it's my experience that many autos trichs don't really darken or turn amber over time (some do) -- even when they're long past optimal harvest times. After significant stress it seems to be even worse. Although that hasn't happened to me too many times. But, the message I was trying to convey there is that if you're waiting for cloudy or amber trichomes, you might be waiting into 2024.

And as far as timing, what I mean there is that it's a personal thing. I sometimes let my plants die right in the pot because I like a narcotic effect most of the time. I'm the type of user who likes to go into very deep stones. I'm wired for sound naturally so it takes quite a plant to slow me down. Letting them die in the pot isn't exactly ideal with an auto but works really well with photoperiods. For me, anyway. The point, though, was that I have no idea how you like to harvest your plants and thought I'd just toss out those ideas in just in case you found them helpful.

Overall, though, I completely agree with @Mitsuharu's reply on the other thread. If you're asking if you can just harvest now and get going on your next plants, my first answer is "yes." But, again, I don't want to influence you either way. I think you should do what you think is best for your needs, interests, or whatever.
Thanks for the explanation and dropping knowledge - again :D

I misunderstood you the first time - it means majority of people who recommended in places, where I made threads, would chop now. Although, I would also like a bit narcotic effect, maybe Ill wait a week :D It is an indica, maybe kinda screwed from my mistakes, but still.

kreikrei

+1 👍

Btw, no need to dry and cure the plant after harvest... it's already done. 😊😛
This is what confuses me. I think you are the second person to say this.

How can it be done? You think the heat has already dried it out?

I am asking, bcause I take samples about once a week.
Last sample I took 5 days ago, smoked yesterda - it was decent.
But it still needed about 3 days to dry out (it was very sticky) - and that was just a small nugget.

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
That line from me was a bit ironic though, sorry if i confused you or something.

But, these many little brown leafs... ;) That's just dead material. Don't know what more to say, sorry buddy. You will not get much more out of this because it's just at the end, you won't get the green(working) leafs back. 🤷‍♂️

It's part of learning process, so try to see it positive also. Looks like it will be no bad crop anyway. :)

kreikrei

That line from me was a bit ironic though, sorry if i confused you or something.

But, these many little brown leafs... ;) That's just dead material. Don't know what more to say, sorry buddy. You will not get much more out of this because it's just at the end, you won't get the green(working) leafs back. 🤷‍♂️

It's part of learning process, so try to see it positive also. Looks like it will be no bad crop anyway. :)
Haha, thanks for elaborating.
Yup. my first grow, made many mistakes - but, most importantly, I know more or less what mistakes I made so my second grow might be better :)

You think the most likely explanation for the small brown leaves is 90-100F temperatures during days 70-90?

Thanks for spending your time answering my questions.

P..S. I see almost only positives :D The moment the first nugget got me high, I was so happy :D The emotional satisfaction from doing it yourself is amazing, makes the high better as well lol

Cuddles

have you had a sampler to smoke yet? I suggest trying a little to see how you like it. If it suits you fine, then why not harvest? If you think it could do with a little more time, then wait a little longer.
I always have the same problem myself and this was the best advice I recieved :)
90 days or so is kinda the average for autos I guess, so it´s worth having a little test smoke ;)

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
I'm no auto expert but you basically trimmed the entire plant already, it's probably in shock.

Also lowering the light hours to like 10-8hr a day will help ripen

Latest posts

Latest posts