What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1989 Super Skunk F4

GoatCheese

Veteran
i think it's skunk x nl5 or skunk x mapleleaf but that's just my guess
I don’t think UK Cheese has Maple Leaf genetics in it. UK Cheese doesn’t have the hashy traits coming from ML, nor the cinnamon/gingerbread cookies spices from ML. UK Cheese has been described tasting like “black hash” by some people but it’s not the same as ML hash smells, quite different in fact.

I have been growing NL5Afg from MNS lately and i have MNS Ortega (NL5/NL1) pack in veg, and i really can’t see UK Cheese having NL5 in it.

I’d say it’s pure SK1 as the story goes but that’s just my opinion.

Last edited:

GoatCheese

Veteran
@GoatCheese I think the Sensi Seeds and White Label Super Skunk are the same, I might be wrong but it would be easier yo have only one seed line sold with 2 different names rather than doing 2 versions of the same genetics. I've searched for recent grow journal of Sensi Seeds strains and I've seen some impressive results on growdiaries and youtube.
Yea, i was thinking about it too. Maybe they pick the “premium” quality seeds for Sensi Seeds and the second-quality goes to White Label packs?

One way of telling; If they used the same mother-plant the seeds should look the same; color, shape and other details – size could be a bit different even if it would be the same mom cause they could be “seconds”, the WL kind.

However it is, WL’s SS looks quite good to me – indica leaning. I’m more interested in the Afghan-T genetics in SS than the SK1 side.

Some Spanish seed bank (oaseeds? ..can't remember) was selling Super Skunk regs as bulk seeds for 2 euros per seed few years ago, and some of these shops seem to sell bulk/left overs of the seeds produced for seed banks. ..and i was thinking maybe they are the same seeds as WL.
I once bought bulk Amnesia Haze fems from on of the shops and the seeds were in fact Royal Queen's AH Fems - very unique looking seeds (light sandy color), so they had to be the same stock. The plants also appeared to be indica leaning in veg (i never flowered them cause they were so Afg/Hawaii leaning) as is the plant/photo RQ uses on their website - They also show a photo of they AH seeds on their site and the bulk seeds looked 100% identical.

So some of the bulk stuff in Spain are in fact left overs from famous seed banks. You guys should go and have a look in these spanish shops cause the seeds are fairly cheap. Iirc,the SS regs got good reviews from customers who grew them.

goingrey

I bought Skunk #1 from the SSSC catalog. Growing weed was top secret back in 1980s. I was worried getting the catalog. Then I was lost about what strain to buy. I actually called them from the USA and ask to talk with Nevil. It was Nevil that answered and he told me so. He ask about my latitude, what kind of high I liked and suggested Skunk #1 and Pluton 2. He said Sk#1 was ready 1st week of October and Pluton was ready mid September. He told me not to worry the seeds would be discreetly sent. They came in a envelope with his country's addy on it. Amsterdam or whatever. If I would have thought about that I would have been freaking out. I got them though. I talked with Neil about 20 minutes. I forget what the phone bill was but my wife was not happy.

The Pluton mold like crazy and I never got a harvest. The Sk#1 didn't finish until late October. I let them all make seeds together. Eventually I started just making seeds with the plants that had lime tipped leaves and would get big yellow fan leaves that the catalog said were not a deficiency. They were the best tasting, smelling and most potent. They were not sweet. They were dank and skunk. I grew them every year in the wilds for 20 years or so. Eventually I stopped getting ones with lime tipped leaves. I didn't know about clones. I lost some fantastic plants.

Anyhow the catalog said that Skunk #1 was originally bred by Sacred Seeds. That is Soma isn't it? Not Sam. Just a thought. Does not really matter to me.

You can see the original description in the SSSC Catalog.

Nevil didn't try to take credit for it. Nevil was a very nice, friendly guy to talk too. I like the way the catalog would rate how strong a strain was by how many joints Nevil could smoke and still ride his bike.
SSSC and The Seedbank were different companies. Nevil's company was The Seedbank. I doubt he would be on the phone for SSSC. Do you still have the catalogue?

Sacred Seeds back in the day was Sam. Soma's Sacred Seeds is a more recent company.

After seeing the yellow tips and yellow fan leaves I used to wonder if 1974 Columbian Gold was a Skunk #1 early variant with all yellow leaves. The Skunk #1 yellow tip phenos were almost as potent as Columbian Gold. Maybe an all yellow one was Columbian Gold. But then I read they use to ring them or spike them to make them yellow.
Colombian Gold is one of the varieties used to breed Skunk #1.

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
Guys stop those pointless spéculations about the Cheese's genetics, check if it is registered on phylo so you'll know its DNA. Trying to guess what it is by comparing it to strains you've grown won't help you to know its Real genetics.
By descriptions of them they had never smoke cheese. Just trolling

shiva82

it wasn't trolling. one man says he thinks cheese is skunk 1 and one man thinks it could be a sensi stock skunk x sensi stock afghan of the time period.No arguments , no big deal and no problems. was just a personal obvservation from different people. wasn't "just trolling " and it's "just normal conversation".

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
it wasn't trolling. one man says he thinks cheese is skunk 1 and one man thinks it could be a sensi stock skunk x sensi stock afghan of the time period.No arguments , no big deal and no problems. was just a personal obvservation from different people. wasn't "just trolling " and it's "just normal conversation".
I mean this
"UK Cheese has been described smelling like “black hash” ".
Its not cheese,cheese is skunkyiest strain there is with bit of fruit twist sometimes.

I just shared my expirience,dont want to argue with people that dont know what cheese is.
Or people that chated with Nevile who was owner of SSSC....im out of this thread.

But shure cheese is pheno of shiva...

shiva82

no worries. you have quoted somebody elses different opinion and attached it to my post for some reason. its all good. people are allowed to have different views. i respect your view , i respect goatcheese opinion. i don't have to agree.

didn't nirvana make f2s of the superskunk from the original f1s? i remember those being a great price bulk order 20 years ago

GoatCheese

Veteran
I mean this
"UK Cheese has been described smelling like “black hash” ".
Its not cheese,cheese is skunkyiest strain there is with bit of fruit twist sometimes.

I just shared my expirience,dont want to argue with people that dont know what cheese is.
Or people that chated with Nevile who was owner of SSSC....im out of this thread.

But shure cheese is pheno of shiva...
Ooops ..”smelling like black hash” was my mistake. i should have wrote TASTING like black hash.

..i haven’t slept that well recently. My bad.

Those are other people’s comments not mine.

And..

I have smoked UK Cheese in Adam few times. From Grey Area and the original De Dampkring around 2012-2015. I tried the Big Buddha version from some shop too but it’s not good, the Afg#1 in it ruins it..

I have grown ten UK Cheese fems from GHS and few UK Cheese hybrids. I know how it is and smokes.
It’s pure Sk1, imo. An Afghan/Columbian-pheno based on how it splits in the S1 seeds.
It doesn't have NL5 in it. forget about it.

GoatCheese

Veteran
didn't nirvana make f2s of the superskunk from the original f1s? i remember those being a great price bulk order 20 years ago
A buddy had few of these growing around 2005 and thou it was nice smoke it wasn't very stable phenotypically. White Label's SS looks better from the photos, imo.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Bulkseeds, they simply take original seeds, make f2 or f3 (although almost always fem) and resell them, a job that can even be done by a kid in a grow box ....
And if it was about me, I'm not a troll, as far as I'm concerned all you can spend the entire fortune with your favorite seed banks that doesn't change anything, we are in a forum to express our own opinion ...
I wish you all a great day :tiphat:

GoatCheese

Veteran
Guys stop those pointless spéculations about the Cheese's genetics, check if it is registered on phylo so you'll know its DNA. Trying to guess what it is by comparing it to strains you've grown won't help you to know its Real genetics.

The problem with using Phylos for this one is that the Afghani(s) Sam used in SK1 and the Maple Leaf-genetics are both from Mazar i Sharif area, so they may show genetic relation thou they still could be from different population/source.

These were hash-cultivars and not geno/phenotypically stable – there’s BLD and narrower leaf afghanis in the Maple Leaf-Mazari line, so it’s down to selection which way the breeder chooses to go; BLD or more narrow leaf. = The end results in breeding with different kind of parents would look very different but Phylos could show relatively close relation.

The data archives on Phylos are relatively small so the genetic relations can appear to be closer than they actually are.Growing, smelling and smoking plants is much better source of information when it comes to UK Cheese/Sk1, Maple Leaf-genetics and NL5, but that's my opinion. I grow and smoke the shit, reading shit from the internet is another thing, i'm telling you guys. Hah-hah

Here’s my Sensi Black Domina- Ortega pheno (Maple Leaf)
...more narrow leaf Mazari kind. Afg-T is more broadleaf type
Hashy-gingerbread cookies, notes of (blue)berries, peach candy and little green apple. Abit skunky and sweaty acrid

full

full

Here’s Sam on the Mazari he used in SK1

Q: "From which region of Afghanistan did the 'Afghan' in 'Skunk #1' come from?"

“Mazar, but then crossed with a Columbian, then selfed, then the hybrid crossed with Acapulco Gold to make it a bit earlier.
But to be honest in the same seed batch from Afghanistan you will find many phenos, remember they may have thousands of females that the seeds came from, as well as thousands of males hitting every one of the females, so that is a lot of possible combos.....”

This post is in the Skunk1 thread, was is the Flying Dutchman Skunk1 thread? Sam’s post number was #163 in that thread

GoatCheese

Veteran
Bulkseeds, they simply take original seeds, make f2 or f3 (although almost always fem) and resell them, a job that can even be done by a kid in a grow box ....
And if it was about me, I'm not a troll, as far as I'm concerned all you can spend the entire fortune with your favorite seed banks that doesn't change anything, we are in a forum to express our own opinion ...
I wish you all a great day :tiphat:
No.
Like i wrote at least some of the seeds are leftovers from well known seeds banks like the AH seeds i bought that were in fact Royal Queen’s AH seeds.

I’m not claiming every shop out there is selling leftovers but some are. These cost me 2 euros per seed how much is the same seed from Royal Queen?

But you guys do what ever you want. Go buy Sensi Seeds stuff for big money if that keeps your mind at rest – better yet, get some overpriced American made repros cause they have to be the best = proper Made In USA, ay.. 2 euro costing Spanish made seed can't be as good, right? :)

Peace.

GoatCheese

Veteran
@GoatCheese The Super Skunk seeds from Sensi are not expensive compared to the Black Domina you bought from them.
True. Super Skunk is actually fairly reasonably priced by Sensi for such a famed variety.

I bought my BD at Sensi's spring cleaning -30%. Save your money, it's unstable line with some freak-plants in it. Not worth the money at full price of €105, imo. Buy some BD repro version instead
Even the White Label Super Skunk looks like a better line

LOL The price has gone up since 2016 when i got mine. It was €96 back then, iirc. €50 would be more fair, imo. For 105 euros stay away, amigos

The only good thing about the unstable Sensi BD is that it being unstable helped me to get a heavily Maple Leaf Ortega leaning pheno, which is a nice one. Small to Average yield but the bud/smoke is top quality.

iTarzan

Hey going grey it was the Seed Bank. I was trying to find a description of SK #1 and the SSSC was pictured. That is why the joint ratings were not in that catalog. It was The Seed Bank. They had a strain that the only description was DEBILITATING. LOL! Seeds seemed shockingly expensive back then because we had tons of free seeds in the ounces we bought.

So Sam did make sk#1. Am I remembering correctly that sk#1 won the cannabis cup a couple times and then they didn't let sk#1 enter again so something different could win? I mentioned this years ago on another forum and nobody remembered that.

Last edited:

iTarzan

But it is fun in a kind of '"Who would win a fight between Mighty Mouse and Superman kind of debate way".

Last edited:

iTarzan

Sorry cannatorium I had the wrong catalog but the strain description was correct and I did talk to Nevil. It wasn't a big deal because you just dialed the number in the catalog to ask questions. He answered the phone because he was just a new business owner. He wasn't a super star. It wasn't like trying to call Elon Musk.
These breeders are smart people but they are not special, untouchable genius people. They certainly were basically nobodies back in 1980. They answered their own phones.
You need to chill out and have some fun. You are not the Jeopardy Weed History Champion. You dig? You never even called Nevil. LOL! Your are a nobody just like the rest of us.
And Cannatorium you didn't know anything about the lime tipped leaves Mr. Skunk #1 expert. Most times these Skunk #1 threads go on and on and nobody not even Sam mentions the %^%$% yellow fan leaves and lime tipped leaves. Which is a very important description of Sk #1.

Last edited:
This thread is funny. But I’m growing right now some of that same Super Skunk stock from Joe except it’s Giesel x Super Skunk not the f4’s. They are in week 4 right now. I’m also growing some Maple Leaf x Mazar I got from a friend just for fun. Hopefully something cool pops up and is worth keeping around.