What's new

1988 Chevy G20(?) Get-Away Class B Camper Van

moose eater

I have a shot at acquiring this vehicle with 'low miles' on it. Some where in the neighborhood of 58,000 original miles.

It would come from an extended family member, photos inside and out, it appears to be a very clean looking rig. No visible rust I've seen. A bit of sun-fade on the exterior. I also don't know the condition of the gel coat on the top of the thing; it has a hard-top out of eithe rfiberglass or polymer.

Mechanical is unknown at the moment, other than it drives, and we're being offered the thing at half of what they'd intended to sell it for. And the air conditioning was recently repaired.

Bushings between the body and chasis are a perpetual target for ozone, etc., so I'll wait to see what the mechanic says who may do the thorough inspection down south, pre-trip, before bringing it up North from the Lower-48.

It has the infamous and fairly reliable (as well as relatively common and cheaper to replace) Chevy V-8 350 motor in it. Not sure if it's carb or injected, though from that year there's a good chance it's carb. (Oh well).

Don't know if it's got the 3-speed or 4-speed automatic transmission in it, but the mpg changes a notable amount if it's the 4-speed.. for the better, apparently.

Small fridge/freezer (dorm size), like many van Class B's, the dinette converts into the only queen size bed. Don't think it has the additional sliding sleep platform in the top. 2-burner cook-top. Storage and porta-potty in the area compartment behind the bed/dinette. Stereo system in place, but not sure of the type or condition.

Need to closely check the drive-line, all seals and bearings, propane and wiring connections, radiator and AC condensor conditions, make some sort of a 1/4" hardware cloth protector for the grill if we do this, and likely some additional focus points on the would-be pre-trip 'hit list'.

Anyone else have experience with this model rig?

The only Chevy I owned was a 1953 3/4-ton pick-up with a flat bed on it, years ago, and my wife's 1991 1/2-ton Suburban in the mid-1990s, and otherwise, Chevy has not been "like a rock" in my observation. Early 1990s and before they were decent. They lost the pulse of market needs and quality builds, imo.

Any insights, issues to be aware of, etc., are welcome.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If you want my honest opinion, I wouldn't have that piece of junk. You are offered a piece of junk for half price because it is junk and won't stay running.. The reason for only having 58,000 original miles is because its been broke for the last 20 years. . Don't waste your money. 😎

moose eater

If you want my honest opinion, I wouldn't have that piece of junk. You are offered a piece of junk for half price because it is junk and won't stay running.. The reason for only having 58,000 original miles is because its been broke for the last 20 years. . Don't waste your money. 😎
In some cases, I might fear such an assessment in advance, but the owner's been using it steadily, and doesn't take it on long trips, but rather those near to her home.

We'll have a decent mechanic down there inspect it. There's a 3rd-party extended family member (several) there to be objective in the review. And it's being sold by an extended family member from my wife's family.

If the thing fails inspection for solid road-worthiness (of several thousand miles, minimum) then we'll scratch on it, and wait for something else.

Hoping to find someone who has had one or more of these, to establish any quirks to look for that are specific to these models.