What's new

190 proof Ethanol from scratch

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For those of ya'll medical patients with limited funds or where big brother is protecting you from yourself by proscribing ethanol above 150 proof, here is a way to make your own 190 proof ethanol for extraction and formulation from scratch:

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/...l-from-scratch

Attachments

• The batch.jpg
    The batch.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 47
  • First run 130.jpg
    First run 130.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 189 proof.jpg
    189 proof.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 45

Tynehead Tom

Thankyou for this Gray Wolf .... couldn't have come at a better time.
I'm north of the 49 and in a province that doesn't sell 190proof without a permit so I rely on my brother inlaw in alberta to bring me a few bottles whenever he visits.
Doesn't last long, costs 40cdn per 750ml bottle and I currently have no way to reclaim it but I'm working on that.
The simple things ..... Thanx for the tips on Corn Sugar producing only ethanol , that right there is gold.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You're welcome brother! Bon appetite!

troutman

Seed Whore
I made 98% by distilling Vodka 2X.

I got 95% the 1st run using an all glass laboratory still equipped with a vigreux column to make the process
more efficient and distilling very slowly. That's probably good enough for most people. To get the 98%, I let
the 95% alcohol sit on molecular sieves 3A for over a month and redistilled with a drying tube attached to a
claisen adapter before the receiver flask to keep as much air moisture out.

BTW: Don't ever drink this high purity alcohol. It burns badly.

I tasted 1 drop of 98% and it numbs your tongue a lot. :biggrin:

Results below:

95%

fetch

98%

fetch

troutman

Seed Whore
Are you gentlemen preferring ethanol over butane? Curious ... :)

I'm avoiding butane cause I don't want to play with a gas at room temp. I have made n-hexane honey oil instead.
The 98% ethanol I made was used to purge the remnant n-hexane after most of it was distilled away and reclaimed.
For most people, ethanol is the safest way to make an extract.

Tynehead Tom

I smoke and eat my oil so using ethanol seems to me to be the safest way to make the product for both methods of consumption.
Low and slow in the vac chamber and it comes out wonderful
This is made with Purplelazerlite 6 month cured flower, whole, not crushed. Flower and Ethanol both pre-chilled to -18, 5 minute wash.

Attachments

• EHO ethanol honey oil - Copy.JPG
    EHO ethanol honey oil - Copy.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 53

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It would be cheaper using sugar and wine yeast for sure. Corn sugar (glucose) ferments cleaner than table sugar. Note: Fermentation creates carbon dioxide. So feed that your plants at the same time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txm7eu8KxVI

Table sugar is a mixture of glucose (dextrose monohydrate) and fruticose, while corn sugar is straight dextose.

How long a vigreux column are you using?

I actually like products from both, but ethanol extraction is still legal for the home owner, while butane now requires a permitted facility to not be a Class B felony here locally. The purpose of this thread is to insure everyone has legal access to cannabis medications in their many forms.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
BTW: Don't ever drink this high purity alcohol. It burns badly. I tasted 1 drop of 98% and it numbs your tongue a lot.

Yeah, I swirled some 190 proof on the end of my tongue once to determine what pure alcohol tasted like, and after a moment it felt like I had a hot coal against my tongue. I spit it out, and noted that the tip of my tongue was desiccated and had turned white.

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Table sugar is a mixture of glucose (dextrose monohydrate) and fruticose, while corn sugar is straight dextose.

How long a vigreux column are you using?

I actually like products from both, but ethanol extraction is still legal for the home owner, while butane now requires a permitted facility to not be a Class B felony here locally. The purpose of this thread is to insure everyone has legal access to cannabis medications in their many forms.
:tiphat:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is the exact one I have and it's 300mm long 24/40 joints from Laboy.

For those who don't know, a vigreux column is placed between the boiling flask and the distillation head.
It makes it harder for things to distill over with all it indentations and allows a better fractional distillation
to occur.

https://laboyglass.com/distillation-...40-joints.html

hma030309.jpg

Another way to say it is that a vigreux column continues to cool the vapors so that they fall back down, and only the lightest reach the top where the condenser is. Same with a reflux column.

Latest posts

Latest posts