What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

19 September, 43° North: is it too late to pollinate?

Treevly

I have discovered a growee with unusually good characteristics. Is it too late to pollinate it and still get seeds this year? It's a Kush cross, not a late one.

Latitude is same as Milwaukee and Lansing.

Thanks. :)

Koondense

Veteran
You need at least 4-5 weeks to get some viable seeds, some will be good to germinate after this time,most won't be mature enough.
Give it a try if you plan to harvest in mid/late october.

Cheers

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
420giveaway
yeah you needs till end of next month or longer depends on your male is early ones or late ones

Amynamous

I’ve gotten viable seeds after three weeks. 4-5 weeks are obviously better, but some of the seeds should be viable. Also, maybe Treevly will have a late freeze. I vote for pollination.:canabis:

troutman

Seed Whore
We can all hope for a nice Fall. :)

I'm finished pollinating and hope the plants can stay out until mid-October before it gets too cold.

Treevly

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!

I think this: ""[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pollinate a lower branch and let it go longer."" sums it up.

Problem is, there is some chance of rain tomorrow, and then a better chance for the next two days - and pollen does not like rain.

icon8.gif

[/FONT]

browntrout

Veteran
It is very strain dependent but generally yes Sept.19 is about 2-3 weeks from more optimal pollination, that is for most earlier varieties and certainly later types at 43-45N regardless of white hairs.

I'm at 45N I have a a multitude of strains that started receiving pollen end of august/first week September and are still 2-3 weeks out from ripe seed.

The odd strain however nearing the end of flower will take pollen and turn it into ripe seed very fast (under two weeks) I have seen this only a few times however.

You are best to pollinate a lower branch and take it indoors after the top is cut or leave it outdoors until it starts too mold or is close to being killed by frost.