What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1000w lumatek dimmeable question

prophecy

HI!!!

1- Need to buy a 600w bulb to dimm to 600w or I can let my 1000w bulb?

2- Do I strike at 600w or strike at 1000w and low to 600w after5-10 minutes? (assuming I can dimm to 600w with the 1000w)

Thank you!

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The 1000 watter will work fine dimmed to 750 or 600 .& just start the ballast on whatever setting you want ... it will start a 1000 set to 600 ... they're designed to do just that . will also run a HPS or MH bulb ..... just make sure the metal halide is not a conversion bulb , they are meant to run a MH bulb in a magnetic hps ballast .

toohighmf

Veteran
nothing is ever right with lumatek. particularly this whole dial-a-watt POS. If you want to run 600w. get a 600w ballast. I have been watching lumatek burn down houses, electricute people, blow bulbs and get people busted for poor RF shielding, messing with whole neighborhoods cable & internet. PS their bulbs are a joke too.

prophecy

i just setting up on 1000w and no tickleling!! Ballast outside the growroom!! Fan on the cooltube!! I get 1C less than my veg room with 2 T5!! AMAZING!! :)

If someone think that lumatek can get over human stupidity...!! You still need to watch if everything is ok!!

My ballast is at 42C ... the breaker at 29C and the room at 26.5C!!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love my Lum's. not one problem ever in 10 years using them. I have 3 of them. I don't have 1k I run 600. There is no ticking on any setting. If it's under warranty I would exchange it.

toohighmf

Veteran
looks like 2 people didn't like my post. Sorry! If you have a lumatek that outlasted its warranty you are a lucky man. If you owned a shop and had tp hear the stories, deal witht he returns, talk to the hydrofarm reps and other retailers w clout, they'll tell you the same unless their Jasons Homey. Dial a watts have a 50% return margin FYI :wave:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree about the return rates.:) It's the blame game on all the other stuff you mentioned that I don't agree with. Its not only Lumatek.

toohighmf

Veteran
what then? dial a watts and their "special" bulb? or that I claim them to burn down grow ops and that their RF shielding SUCKS? I Think it's a damn shame that I have to carry them, well knowing that I will most likely see these customers return em 3 months in for a failure of some kind. The idea for dial-a-watt is kinda cool, but it presents way too many problems and is not ready for the market. It has set so many debates.. "If I buy a 1k, can I run 600's?" get a friggin 600 if you want to run a 600. damn! :rolleyes:

Some people don't have the funds to simply go out and buy a new ballast. Also not everybody has central air or a/c in their house. My house, for instance gets way too hot in the summer for a 600. Luckily I still have my old 400 and it sure saves a few uncomfortable degrees in the grow room come the warmer months. I agree with you that the D-A-W system may be a bit 'unpolished' but in years to come this feature should save a ton of people lots of money.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some people don't have the funds to simply go out and buy a new ballast. Also not everybody has central air or a/c in their house. My house, for instance gets way too hot in the summer for a 600. Luckily I still have my old 400 and it sure saves a few uncomfortable degrees in the grow room come the warmer months. I agree with you that the D-A-W system may be a bit 'unpolished' but in years to come this feature should save a ton of people lots of money.

exactly why i bought the dimmable ballasts , i can run 600 during the winter but during summer its just to hot so with the lumiteks i can dim to 400 in the summer months & not have to shut down .
every problem that i've heard of about the lumiteks were the older style , the newer ones have had those problems addressed . so i've read ... whether its true or not who knows , but i've been running them constantly for over a year without even a flicker .

qupee

Lumatek isn't the only place making selectable watt ballasts.

I saw these Solis Tek's posted the other day and I'll say I'm intrigued.

It's a shame the local store doesn't have more variety. They've actually told me their distributor forbids them from carrying competitor's products, at least for some stuff. There's literally no choices for ballasts locally. Sun System or the "Miami" generic 1kw, end of story.

rrog

Veteran
I've spoken directly with the tech people at two major lamp manufacturers and three ballast manufacturers. Opinions are all over the board, and some claim to have data, but can't show it. So it either shows bad news or there is no data.

Some claim there is a spectral shift because the 1000w isn't being given 1000w. One claimed using their lamp in a dim setting would invalidate the lamp warranty.

No straight scoop. One thing seemed very clear, and that is they cover each others asses. Lamp guys don't want to badmouth ballasts, and vice-versa.

Given that a lot of lamps don't work well with digital ballasts, the dim feature simply complicates things, maybe. I wish there were available data.

Latest posts

Latest posts