What's new

100% solar powered off grid farm

I'm on an off grid farm; the house already had a 5kw pv array, battery bank and 8kw propane generator. I get 280 sunny days and have lots of wood on my property.

I first added new integrated PV/radiant panels. I get heated water for radiant GH heat while simultaneously cooling the panels, increasing their efficiency.

Second, I bought kits online for a multi-fuel boiler and a 10hp piston drive steam engine from Green Steam Engines. Then I connected a trailer mounted solar concentrator. The concentrator heats the boiler water, driving the engine and direct drive generator to produce 500w. The steam heat is collected for radiant heating via a countercurrent heat exchanger and the cooled distilled water goes to the GH misting system ( my well water clogs the misters).

On cloudy/rainy days I put wood chips in the boiler for GH heat and power. Cooling can be achieved by using a heat pump with the engine. 500w isn't much but the kits are cheap and compact so you could install several. The bigger engines on the website have to be licensed for much more $$$. Small scale solar concentrators are not as efficient as the PV panels but make up for it by producing high temp heat and distilled water

CrushnYuba

That sounds awesome. Do you have any pictures of your set up?. I have been looking into wood fired boilers for hydronic greenhouse heating in the off season. I have been struggling with a cost affective way to heat a greenhouse in the winter. I always wanted to build a steam engine and connect an old gas generator end.

I am off grid but am not the most efficient. My water pumping demands alone are crazy. I have less then 2k of solar and burn hella diesel. My house doesn't use much power but my gardening costs a fortune.

Latest posts

Latest posts