Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Grow It! > Growers Forums > Growroom Lighting > Metal halide vs HPS for flowering?

Thread Title Search    
Click here for LED Lights!
 Metal halide vs HPS for flowering? Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2006, 09:18 PM   #1
0p0rat0r

0p0rat0r is on a distinguished road
Metal halide vs HPS for flowering?

I'm flowering with a 250 watt metal halide right now, I'm wondering how much difference it would make if I got an HPS conversion bulb? Will I see significantly improved yields or noticably fatter buds? I think the wattage output drops down from 250 to about 230 with the conversion bulb.

Any of you have pictures of plants flowered under both metal halide and hps for comparison or experience? I know just about everyone uses HPS for flowering exclusively and it has something to do with the colour of light output, but how much difference does this really make?
0p0rat0r jest offline   Quote

Old 09-17-2006, 10:11 PM   #2
MTF-Sandman
OG Refugee

MTF-Sandman is a glorious beacon of lightMTF-Sandman is a glorious beacon of lightMTF-Sandman is a glorious beacon of lightMTF-Sandman is a glorious beacon of lightMTF-Sandman is a glorious beacon of lightMTF-Sandman is a glorious beacon of light
I've got a 2K setup right now with 1K of each over a 4x8 table...

There's a few very minor differences in the buds, but definitely nothing that's mind blowing.

The MH side:

Slightly frostier
Slightly denser
Somewhat shorter internodal spacing

The HPS side

Slightly larger buds (but a hair fluffier)
Plants are a little taller

Since it's a quasi-perpetual SOG, I'm gonna run them the first 4 weeks under the MH side, then move them to the HPS to finish out...

MTF-Sandman jest offline   Quote

Old 09-17-2006, 10:33 PM   #3
DocLeaf
procreationist

DocLeaf is a survivorDocLeaf is a survivorDocLeaf is a survivorDocLeaf is a survivorDocLeaf is a survivorDocLeaf is a survivorDocLeaf is a survivorDocLeaf is a survivorDocLeaf is a survivorDocLeaf is a survivorDocLeaf is a survivor
to add:

metal halide put out light from the blue end of the spectrum. this blue light mimics late spring and summer environs when the sun sits high in the sky. this light band is ideal for growing, and ok for seeding plants.

high pressure sodium put out light from the red end of the spectrum. this red light mimics late summer, autumn, and early winter environs when the sun sits low in the sky. this light band is ideal for flowering and ripening sinsemilia

note:

we often force flower in spring using natural blue light, but results usually show more compact buds under hps indoor, regardless of growing/flowering season

hope this helps
peace dleaf

!!! DANGER GLASS WEED THREAD !!!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=42251

FRITILLARY SEEDS ...

https://www.seedboutique.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=86
REGULAR ORGANIC SEEDS FOR ORGANIC GROWERS !!

Last edited by DocLeaf; 09-17-2006 at 10:35 PM..
DocLeaf jest offline   Quote

Old 09-17-2006, 11:01 PM   #4
dre86

So after reading this thread I came to the conclusion that there wont be much difference if you give MH (blue spectrum) or HPS (red spectrum) during flowering?

Old 09-17-2006, 11:17 PM   #5
MTF-Sandman
OG Refugee

MTF-Sandman is a glorious beacon of lightMTF-Sandman is a glorious beacon of lightMTF-Sandman is a glorious beacon of lightMTF-Sandman is a glorious beacon of lightMTF-Sandman is a glorious beacon of lightMTF-Sandman is a glorious beacon of light
Not much difference...even though the MH is slightly less efficient lumens/watt wise, it'll still throw very nice buds. I should note that I'm using Agrosun Golds for the MH and an unknown Eye for the HPS (soon to be replaced). Quality bulbs with a good spectrum seem to do more than the actual type of bulb IMO.

Honestly I was expecting a much more pronounced difference from this test.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:54 PM   #6
bounty29
Custom User Title

bounty29 has much to be proud ofbounty29 has much to be proud ofbounty29 has much to be proud ofbounty29 has much to be proud ofbounty29 has much to be proud ofbounty29 has much to be proud ofbounty29 has much to be proud ofbounty29 has much to be proud ofbounty29 has much to be proud ofbounty29 has much to be proud of
Do MH bulbs put off more heat? That might be something to consider when planning.
bounty29 jest offline   Quote

Old 09-18-2006, 12:05 AM   #7
darrinjefferson
to the moon and back

darrinjefferson is just really nicedarrinjefferson is just really nicedarrinjefferson is just really nicedarrinjefferson is just really nice
i was thinking about using my mh bulb for the first week or two of flower to help minimize stretch, then switching to the hps for the rest of the time. kind like what you do sandman.

think it will be a good little test and maybe reduce stretch a bit.

later

current grows

08 greenhouse

400watt champ in action

2200 Watts of Fury!!!

DHS/OMMP Compliant
darrinjefferson jest offline   Quote

Old 09-18-2006, 12:07 AM   #8
dre86

Well this got me thinking, I have a 400 watt HPS ballast and I just bought a bulb Philips Son T-Agro for growing (vegging) plants....this was meant for my next grow....So it would be good to use that 1-2 weeks into flowering, then switch to my regular bulb?

Old 09-18-2006, 12:34 AM   #9
0p0rat0r

0p0rat0r is on a distinguished road
I think I'll stick with my metal halide all the way through flowering then. I did some research a while back on OG before deciding on an hps or metal halide and I vaguely remember coming across a couple articles and posts from people saying metal halides put out some type of uv light which has a good effect on trichomes...
0p0rat0r jest offline   Quote

Old 09-18-2006, 12:50 AM   #10
MTF-Sandman
OG Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounty29
Do MH bulbs put off more heat? That might be something to consider when planning.
It's negligible if you're aircooling the hoods...I can't tell a difference with the hand over canopy test.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:59 AM   #11
DocLeaf
procreationist

DocLeaf is a survivorDocLeaf is a survivorDocLeaf is a survivorDocLeaf is a survivorDocLeaf is a survivorDocLeaf is a survivorDocLeaf is a survivorDocLeaf is a survivorDocLeaf is a survivorDocLeaf is a survivorDocLeaf is a survivor
good info. all

to add (again): on the reverse, a hps bulb can be used during veg. and bloom cycles to make nice patterns of growth.
however, we find that trichome content and levels of essential oils are most abundant under levels of red spectrum (indoor or outdoor) rather than blue light during the latter stages of ripening.

big buds is one thing, but buds full of resin is something else, those mh bulbs are also more expensive to replace!

(note: not saying ya buds aren't full of crystals MTF,,, just adding to thread... lol)

peace all
dLeaf

!!! DANGER GLASS WEED THREAD !!!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=42251

FRITILLARY SEEDS ...

https://www.seedboutique.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=86
REGULAR ORGANIC SEEDS FOR ORGANIC GROWERS !!

Last edited by DocLeaf; 09-18-2006 at 01:03 AM..
DocLeaf jest offline   Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:36 PM   #12
Brazilian

Brazilian is on a distinguished road
Hi there everyone, i went to the store nearby and bought myself a metal halide, but when i noticed, the seller asked me blue?? and i said yes blue, but when i got home and tested it, my grow closet is looking like a motel room, i called the vendor, pretty much worried because its suspicious for a guy here buy a 400 WATT metal halide and still mistake i dunno, and i asked if i could change the bulb for another color, white i think...
what do you think guys what color of mh would be the better? notice that i already have a 400 wat hps that i was using until now.... thanx..
Brazilian jest offline   Quote

Old 11-11-2006, 07:35 PM   #13
Homeless

Homeless is on a distinguished road
You're fine with the HPS Blue spectrum...I'm sure its a multi-color and not simply all blue.

If you think you'd be better off, then exhcnage it, but I Don't see any problems.
Homeless jest offline   Quote

Old 11-11-2006, 07:44 PM   #14
Haps
stone fool

Haps is a survivorHaps is a survivorHaps is a survivorHaps is a survivorHaps is a survivorHaps is a survivorHaps is a survivorHaps is a survivorHaps is a survivorHaps is a survivorHaps is a survivor
One light - blue

Multiple lights - first light blue - secondary lights yellow.

Degrade genetic pool - yellow only

H
Haps jest offline   Quote

Old 11-12-2006, 02:07 AM   #15

how effective are the agromax bulbs which claim 30 percent more blue spectrum?