What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hanuman's cheap and easy jungle tunnel

hanuman

Hi friends :wave:

I have been growing outdoors for quite a few years, and living in an area where the nights are quite humid come september/october time, I usually lose a few buds, if not more, to bud rot. Also I usually grow indoor strains outside, which doesn't help. Here's a very sorry sight of a Swt3 of which I lost about 80% due to bud rot a few years ago.

Anyway, I'm growing some Serious AK47 this year (there is a thread in the outdoor forum, at http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=97922&page=1&pp=15 ) and my generous benefactor who gave me the cuts told me it was quite sensitive to bud rot if left outside without any precautions.

So during the whole season, I've been thinking of a way to build some sort of tunnel or tent around my plant to keep them dry while budding. In my area, there is a lot of strawberry farming under plastic tunnels, but when I looked into it, I found that the prices were quite prohibitive. :bashhead:

Then, on another ganja forum, a grower had used PVC pipes to build a structure for his homemade greenhouse. That interested me, but after working out that I would need 6 meter (20 feet) lenghts for my arches, how the hell was I going to transport these in my 1.80 m trailer ? Then the other day, as I was talking about that to a friend, he pointed out the bamboos growing just outside my front door. Of course! why hadn't I thought about these before. I don't know the exact strain, but they are the giant kind, green ones, some of them reaching 8 meters high, i.e 26 feet!

So the next day, I set myself to work. After cutting the lenghts of bamboo I needed, I hammered six short lenghts of 6 cm diameter PVC pipes (2.5 in) in the ground, to hold the base of my arches.

For each of the arches, I took two bamboos and tied their thin ends together, so as to have 6 meters rods, which I bent to fit in the PVC bases. Next, I tied five more bamboos lengthways, so as to reinforce the structure.

A piece of string on each side to keep the structure from moving sideways and voila...

Total time spent: no more than an hour and a half. Total money spent: zero euros/dollars/rubles/rupies/florins for the structure, then 25 euros for the tarp.

Anyway, enough time wasted talking, here's a few pics:

From this:

To that: :joint: :rasta:

Last night, I covered it for the first time with a 6 x 8 meters sheet of clear plastic (I'll post some photos later) and this morning, when I went to check, the plants were nice and dry, untouched by morning dew or the fog we usually get in the morning too. Now today is a nice day, but we have a rather pessimistic weather forecast for the days to come, so I'm all set for a nice harvest around mid-october. :jump:

That's all for now, thanks for taking the time reading :)

h :ying:

Last edited:

Bob Jones

Just keep a sharp eye on it once the weather gets damp. I use a similar setup and find that when the air is humid it will condense on the inside of the plastic and drip down on the plants. It helps a lot, much better than leaving them out in the rain, don't get me wrong but there can still be mold issues. I lost about 10 percent last year to mold even with a greenhouse.

I do live in a very, very, wet climate and once the rains start in October they don't stop until May, so harvesting in November (sativas) with only a little loss is a big success for me.

hanuman

Thanks for the comments my friends.

Also thanks for mentioning your experience, Bob :) Yeah I've already noticed droplets caused by condensation. (or a few holes I already have in the plastic, due to some of the wires I used to fasten the bamboos, that were sticking out the wrong way). Oh well, I leave both sides opened to allow a good air flow and now I just have to keep my fingers crossed ...

Anyway, I wanted to post pics of the tunnel with the plastic on. I've already posted some in the outdoor forum, but as I have started a thread here, I might as well complete it! :bashhead:

Still thinking about some improvements. I'll document these here of course.

Thanks for you attention :) :D

K

kallenavndk

ÅÅÅHHHHH hanuman tha champ this is a very nice green house im on it for my girls

hanuman

Thanks for the comments friends :smile:

dankbudz, the tunnel is about 1.85 / 1.90 meters high in the middle. In feet, that's between 6 and 6.2'. Plants have finished stretching a while ago, I don't think they'll grow much higher.

THC123

Veteran
Hi nice tunnel and nice plants

In a greenhouse u can still lose quite a lot to budrot. I also live in a humid climate(northern europe)

So the key element is enough air replacement and movement.

So be sure to keep ur greenhouse also opened at night(at the side) U have to allow the air to flow from left to right.(or from one opening to the other)

Even with a 1000 cubic meter torin fan 2 oscillating fans , ventilation windows and a heater i still get budrot although much less than outside.

If the plants get too tall bend the branches or use rope

Grtz

Last edited:

headiez247

shut the fuck up Donny
Veteran
beautiful. Wish I had land like that.

Next year lets see another row or 2!!!

Can't wait to see harvest pics.

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Sweet Tooth#3 outdoors? Yes, I can believe you had problems there. She's prone to mold indoors, and can be a pest magnet. You should definitely hook up with some of the outdoor growers here that can direct you to good outdoor strains that deliver the punch you're looking for. I'm not trying to lecture you, it's just a shame seeing 80% of a crop getting binned.

Kind of looks like you're growing on a golf course. In that case, what hole? :D

PS: the girls look awesome,

Last edited:

hanuman

Thanks my friends ! :smile:

THC123 said:
In a greenhouse u can still lose quite a lot to budrot. I also live in a humid climate(northern europe)
So the key element is enough air replacement and movement.
So be sure to keep ur greenhouse also opened at night(at the side) U have to allow the air to flow from left to right.(or from one opening to the other)

Thanks THC123. Yes, I keep both sides of the tunnel open at all times, even at the cost of getting a bit of rain on the plant of one end, as the opening is a bit too close on one side.
About still getting budrot, well, I'm expecting it anyway. In fact, I picked out two buds with traces of botrytis already. But well, that's part of the game outside, I guess, and I think I'm still going to salvage most of the harvest compared to what could have happened without the greenhouse.

THC123 said:
If the plants get too tall bend the branches or use rope

Yeah, that's what I always do anyway, greenhouse or not, so as not to let the plants grow too high and so I can have a more-or-less even canopy. Yestarday I noticed one or two buds touching the plastic and I just slided another bamboo arch inside to lift it up.

Rosy Cheeks said:
Sweet Tooth#3 outdoors? Yes, I can believe you had problems there. She's prone to mold indoors, and can be a pest magnet. You should definitely hook up with some of the outdoor growers here that can direct you to good outdoor strains that deliver the punch you're looking for. I'm not trying to lecture you, it's just a shame seeing 80% of a crop getting binned.

Thanks Rosy Cheeks. Actually, I'm quite aware of the issues of growing indoor strains outdoors, but I must say that outdoor/early/autoflowering strains don't excite me much compared to indoor stars such as SWT3 and AK47, mostly on the taste traits, so I'm ready to take the risk. (unfortunately, the sweet tooth pheno I got that year didn't even taste or smell that nice and all the others were males...). Also, that year I had plenty of other strains growing outside (bubbleberry, BG, Master Kush etc.), so I still managed to smoke happily for the whole year, as always :jump:
Here's a pic of the garden that year (put in soil veery late, around mid july). The big girl on the right is the SWT3 :smile:

Rosy Cheeks said:
Kind of looks like you're growing on a golf course. In that case, what hole?

Don't tell anybody, but my name is Tiger Woods. Well OK, I might be a bit too old to be him... I'm his father really. (hmm Tiger Woods? Something wrong somewhere. I think my wife owes me some explanations on this one... :biglaugh: )

There are recent pics of this grow in the thread I started in the outdoor forum, see my sig.

Later guys and thanks again.

JOE CHRONIC

Looks good Bro,
I do a setup using 1" PVC pipe since I don't have access to free bamboo.
Remember you only need the tarp on for rain, take off on sunny and clear days and nights, keeps the bud rot to a minimum...

MildeStoner

Veteran
I really like the bamboo frame and pvc supports, I'm sure this will be very usefull to me this year!! Thank you for sharing your experience..