What's new

LED grow

zingablack

livin my way the high way
Veteran
Has anyone done a decent size grow with LED lights. i figure it will be the future of growing so i want to see what its like right now with them. you could literally build the walls and ceiling of a cab out of LED panels and totally surround the plants and still have no heat. seems like the future so what is growing on now in the world of LEDs.

I've done some searching through threads where people have used them. So far from what the general concensus says, is that they will work, but are not as good as the claims made by the manufacturers of the prewired setups available on the market.
I figure in a few years the technology will get better.

zingablack

livin my way the high way
Veteran
yea thats what i was thinking. a few more years of real lights and then they will be up to par and able to grow good plants. i just cant wait to not have to worry how much electricity is being used.

It would be real nice if it were just simply legal, then we could grow it under the sun and use no electricity. Damn hater bastards in office!

I am experimenting with a couple of 45w led panels. testing them out to see if they make decent supplement side/fill lights. I used CFLs in the past for this purpose.

They have only been in the room for a couple weeks now. Much less heat then CFLs of the same wattage (the LED panels get warm at best). Leaves seem negatively unaffected with prolonged direct contact. I guess only time will tell how much they really help, but so far so good.

I

ihave2kittens

i think the blue led bulbs are pretty legit off ebay, (i believe those ones) so far the panels are not doing as expected but when i put my journal online everyone will get these results they want to see. lol.

casualtoker said:
How many lumens does one of those 45W panels put out?

Good question. I can't seem to locate that info anywhere. Ordered them from sunshine-systems. They are the GlowPanel45: "high output" 10mm LEDs.

sure thing. the girls are at day 14 and will update with pics when the lights come on. I wish I still had some older grow pics when I had used CFLs for the lower lighting to compare with.

~NKM

Last edited:
I

ihave2kittens

i just trust the bulbs more cause i seen them in action at my buddies place... i was quite impressed ... lol

The plants seem to like the extra light.

It's only day 15, but the lower buds getting the most LED light are developing nicely.

For now I remain realistically optimistic.

I like the idea of using the LED's to supplement the bottom of the plants. If they last as long as the claims I've seen (anywhere up to 20 years) It would be well worth the investment.
Hell, as an added bonus the bright colors make your garden look cool.

The LEDs are much brighter than they seem in the pictures. Without eye protection, looking at them for a little bit leaves your vision with red and blue dots for a minute. The CMH over powers and washes out most of the red and blue light of the LED panels. But, the time when they come on until the time the CMH warms up is a very space age trippy sight indeed.

Last edited:
I

ihave2kittens

lol i got 4 leds boards (2 muticolored) a red one and a blue one. not to be a stoner but if you stare at them all together and run into the light real quick it changes the tint to your eyes with the red and blue dots. ;p

but the all blues really do work like a MH bulb.

red i havent got to yet. and the muticolored ones do not work from seed... especially the ones from glow panel. lol. but they do bud anything.

ExEcutioner

YEaaaaa....hmm seems like they are superior for veg and def inferior for flowerring ... hence they are prob perfect for cloning and veg cabs.

another side note, why does no one take advantage of the strains that hate a lot of light like thazexskunk??

oneiriearth

i have used led panels before. they work just fine for veg but they either dont produce very good flowers, or they lengthen the flowering period. i think theyre just great supplemented with some cfl reflector floodlights though

Latest posts

Latest posts