What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Two Heads in the swamp 2008

two heads

Veteran
In the cedars

In the cedars

Thanks for the update esbe. It's a kick for the Two Heads to know our seeds are half way around the globe! I hope you get something nice out of it.

I went back to the cedars today as we have had an unprecedented 5 straight days of sunshine and I thought they could use some water. They were dry but not wilting so my timing was good. I gave the Thai Rain pail 10 liters of water and the Baby's Breath pail 5 liters, leaving 10 liters stockpiled. (We have to gather water at night and store it on site in 10 liter gas cans).

It was nice to see the plants in full sunshine. I usually only visit just before dusk.

seulguide

Everything is looking awesome heads. It's about time we started having some nice weather around here. Summer started a little to late, gonna be a nice fall though.

two heads

Veteran
Trichomes & dewdrops

Trichomes & dewdrops

The rain appears to have ceased for the next week or so which is a relief. I will be heading out to the swamp sites later today to fertilize and spray with my homemade GreenCure (1 tsp of baking soda and a drop of dish soap in a spray bottle) to try to ward off mold this year. I'll report back with pics tonight or tomorrow.

This morning I went to the cedars site to fertilize (never had mold here). Everything is looking good. The combination of dew and sparkly trichomes was enchanting:

The buds and plants are filling out. The Thai Rain may need a bit longer than the Baby's Breath. I'm guessing sometime in the first two weeks of October for harvest, weather permitting.

I'm keen to see the swamp sites. It would be a treat to find that even one Bella Donna has come recovered from the slug damage. Stay tuned!

lookin good two heads. Where did u come up with the idea about the homemade greencure? haha, sounds like a good idea if it works. Have u tried this before?

two heads

Veteran
Nope, never tried this before. I found a homemade recipe right here on ICMag, though I'm adding the drop of dish soap to act as a surfactant because the GreenCure website says they add a surfactant to their potassium bicarbonate solution to achieve even coverage. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate which should create a similar alkaline environment.

GreenCure isn't available in Canada unfortunately, but that shouldn't be an issue for you - with a handle like Tony Soprano, I can only assume you are from Jersey!

hahahaha nawww, Im from southern ontario to just like you. not a swamp grower though. I would send ya a PM but I dont have 50 posts yet. lol. I will have to give this homemade greencure a try if I start to spot any mold on my plants.

two heads

Veteran
Damn stoner slugs!

Damn stoner slugs!

Maybe it is because it's been so wet (water levels in the swamp all season have been higher than I can remember), but slugs are going to be our undoing this year. I went to the swamp sites yesterday and, as expected all four Bella Donna females are Bella Done.

That wasn't such a big surprise. Unfortunately, in spite of spreading diatomaceous earth and slug bait/killer, the slug damage has spread and it looks irreversible. Our traditionally biggest producing site had two decent bins left. One had three plants, one of which had slug damage but looked like it would be fine last time. Not so, it is dead/dying. Now they are only two.

Slugs have now attacked every plant at this site except the re-flowered clones.

The other good bin still looks good although there was some mold on two of the plants. I sprayed with my homemade Greencure. Hope it works. The plants still look good but we will likely have to harvest early if/when they show signs of deteriorating due to slug damage

Some bud shots from this site:

Next post: the other swamp site.

two heads

Veteran
The other swamp site

The other swamp site

The other swamp site is doing better though it now has slugs as well. There are 5 good sized Baby's Breath females here and two re-flowered clones. The slugs are leaving the clones alone, as at the other swamp site, but have attacked 3 of the five BBs. Still no signs of damage but these plants will come down early as well if they deteriorate.

Here is the entire site:

And here are the two re-flowered clones, they will be the last plants harvested:

And a bud shot from this site:

We will be back at both sites Monday and monitor them carefully from here on. I am loath to visit this frequently, especially at harvest time, but we have to keep an eye on the slug damage and harvest before plants start dying.

This winter will be spent researching slug deterrents...

lookin great 2 heads, sorry to hear about the slug damage. Do you know the strain name of those revflowered clones second pic from last? They look identical to some of the clones I have out right now. They need about another 3.5 weeks. The babys breath looks great to. Where did you get the seeds for it?

two heads

Veteran
Tony, I'm not sure what the re-flowered clones are. They came from a buddy on my hockey team and were cuttings from his indoor crop. They had pistils when they went out and it took a while for them to re-veg and then re-flower outdoors. My guess is these are 3 weeks away as well. I've tried the smoke. It is a heavy night time smoke, in spite of the sativa look. They are sticky, smell strong and a bit skunky.

The Baby's Breath is our own seed project. We grew a clone we named Baby's Breath for years. It was taken from a cross between a Marc Emery outdoor mix mom (with magenta pistils) and a Breeder Steve Blue Domino male. We gave up on the clone because we wanted to avoid maintaining the indoor grow we needed to keep a mother plant alive all winter. Before we abandoned it a couple of years ago, we crossed it indoors with Blueberry and Real McCoy males. These seeds became the basis of our seed project. This is the first year we are getting the magenta pistils back (about 50%).

Good luck with your crop.

zapatoloco

two heads said:
GreenCure isn't available in Canada unfortunately

In canada you can get Milstop which is basically the same thing ( 85% percent potassium bicarbonate). I got a pail of it from Koppert canada's website. Pricey but effective.

two heads

Veteran
Good point zapatoloco. I think you told me that in another thread but it's worth reminding other Canadians following this thread. I didn't have time to go to TO or wait for mail order so I tried my own. If it works I may just go with the homemade next year as well. Either way, mold control is definitely a priority for all future crops.

two heads

Veteran
Harvest begins

Harvest begins

The weather has finally turned and we have several days of warm sunshine coming up. For this reason most of the Baby's Breath is going to stay out till at least the weekend. However, one container was suffering from mold. Even though the homemade Greencure seemed to work great, we still decided to take these three plants yesterday when we visited:

You can see the pruner repair at the bottom of the stalks and maybe a bit of brown mold if you look carefully. The next pic, below, are the two Baby's Breath we left at this site. Not a great pic but these two plants are stunning. Thick, sparkly buds and no mold. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we are getting about 50% magenta pistils in this generation of the Baby's Breath Seed Project. So far, this seems to be an indicator of mold resistance. The original clone was intensely magenta and very mold resistant.

The other swamp site is looking really good. No more signs of slugs and not a spec of mold. These plants will go till next weekend as well.

Here is the site altogether. Both swamp sites have a couple of re-flowered "hockey clones" which will need a bit longer. Weather will determine their harvest date. They are still filling out but are smelly and sticky - almost like fly paper!

two heads

Veteran
I went to the cedars site to give the plants a bit of water. Everything is looking good. I'm so excited to see the magenta hairs the original Baby's Breath clone had showing up in this second generation of seed. I know colour has no relation to potency but, in this case, it is acting as a genetic marker to let us know we are getting close to our target.

The two Thai rain females are looking pretty uniform. Today is around the time the seed catalogue suggested they should be harvested. We will give them a little longer. This bud doesn't really look done to me:

...though the plant itself is looking close and has a more sativa look than it did before flowering started.

Interestingly, I checked all the plants with a 30x scope and they all look pretty close to being at peak ripeness. I like an energetic high so I look for mostly cloudy trichomes with no amber. I am seeing 75% cloudy, 25% clear on everything. We will be taking at least some of the remaining plants next week, maybe all of them. Either way, I don't think this will be too early.

Finally, we will be experimenting with an outdoor dry for a few plants this year - most likely the plants at this cedars site. I'll start another thread to document it.

G

Guyute54

two heads said:
I went to the cedars site to give the plants a bit of water. Everything is looking good. I'm so excited to see the magenta hairs the original Baby's Breath clone had showing up in this second generation of seed. I know colour has no relation to potency but, in this case, it is acting as a genetic marker to let us know we are getting close to our target.

The two Thai rain females are looking pretty uniform. Today is around the time the seed catalogue suggested they should be harvested. We will give them a little longer. This bud doesn't really look done to me:

...though the plant itself is looking close and has a more sativa look than it did before flowering started.

Interestingly, I checked all the plants with a 30x scope and they all look pretty close to being at peak ripeness. I like an energetic high so I look for mostly cloudy trichomes with no amber. I am seeing 75% cloudy, 25% clear on everything. We will be taking at least some of the remaining plants next week, maybe all of them. Either way, I don't think this will be too early.

Finally, we will be experimenting with an outdoor dry for a few plants this year - most likely the plants at this cedars site. I'll start another thread to document it.

I love the colors of the Babay's Breath always have always will!!! Hope know one minds just had to make those pics bigger.

thatguy

Those plants sure are looking gorgeous, TH! Sweet as hell to see another swamp grower doing it so well!

All the best,
TG

esbe

hybridsfromhell
Mentor
Veteran
beautiful two heads! my single babys breath got the axe yesterday. small freak with many seeds and resin. i had a nice time with her and hope to find some dank shit in the new cross
babysbreath260908jpg1se4.jpg

babysbreath260908jpg4jo6.jpg

babysbreath260908jpg3ki2.jpg

babysbreath260908jpg2al5.jpg

hamstring

Veteran
2 heads the swamp is looking mighty fine cant wait to here about the harvest. I Need to get me some of that Hockey strain. Hows it doing?

Latest posts

Latest posts