What's new

Low Pressure CO2 Extraction???

jdubz206

Has anyone ever tried a low pressure co2 extraction to make oil? I've heard of people talk about supercritical co2 extraction of hash oil but never seen it in action. That's probably because it requires huge machines that are able to keep the co2 in liquid form through very high pressure. DIY Supercritical extraction with co2 would be extremely dangerous, maybe even more so than butane. The co2 must be above 1100 psi. Normally it co2 extraction takes place between 6,000-10,00 psi. Basically it seems impossible unless you know how to build a pressurized chamber that would be SAFE or have $20,000+ to shell out on an extractor.

Low pressure extraction actually seems like it would be the best bet for making hash. Check out this information I found:

There are two basic types of CO2 extraction. Low pressure cold extraction involves chilling CO2 to between 35-55 degrees F and pumping it through the plant material at between 800-1,500 psi. Supercritical Fluid extraction involves heating the CO2 to above 87F and pumping it above 1,100 psi. Usually this work is done between 6,000-10,000 psi. Supercritical Fluid CO2 can best be described as a dense fog whereas the first method described uses the CO2 in a dense liquid state.

Low pressure CO2 is often the best method for producing high quality botanical extracts. CO2 has a high loading rate in this state meaning that you will have to pump many volumes of CO2 through a given volume of botanical. The loading rate is typically 10-40 volumes. For this reason, it is important to have a high flow pump and a CO2 recycle system unless wasting high volumes of CO2 is not a concern.

So it would seem that if you were to chill a bottle to 35-55 degrees and pumped it through a metal tube with a valve at 800+ PSI, it would extract... I don't know much about this subject at all, I may be completely wrong but I'd really like to hear any info about this idea and why or why not it would not work. Is 800 PSI an extreme amount of pressure? Don't paintball guns use somewhere around this amount?

Something else to consider that I found on the same page, especially for those doing butane extractions like me:

Propane- There is a little known school of thought in the natural products industry which believes that propane is the ultimate solvent for extracting botanicals. Eden Labs has tested this theory thoroughly and we have come to the conclusion that there is something to it. Although propane cannot be as widely manipulated through temp. and pressure as CO2, it produces very similar results, sometimes better. It has an amazingly small loading ratio 1-4 volumes and it can be recovered quickly. This means much faster production times. It leaves no toxic residues and it is an all natural, organic solvent. The material data safety sheet, MSDS, says it is harmless except for the fact that is flammable. Because it works at relatively low pressures, 80-150 psi, the technology costs much less than a full supercritical CO2 system and can be very competitive in terms of quality and speed of production.

The webpage will this info is http://www.edenlabs.org/supercritical_extraction.html. Pretty damn interesting.

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
So would it be safe to assume that a tank that is capable of 800+ psi could be connected to a solenoid > steel tube > collection flask would work for said extraction?

If so, an existing grow room CO2 systems seems like it could be pretty suited for this. Could be interesting.

devilgoob

Veteran
too get the supercritical going it only has to be at 1,100 psi @ 87F, which is only 15F higher than room temp and not even hotter than your own body.

the difference between 1,100PSI for the supercritical state and the 800PSI for low pressure extraction is little.

it does say that 6,000psi to 10,000psi is used to extract, but that's the industry. by having such a high psi they are trying to extract every little bit because they're a business.

extracting at 1,100psi might not solvent all the essential oils, so it could go a little higher.

I am only theorizing by the way, I might not know what I'm talking about :asskick:

I say do a stream extraction.

jdubz206

devilgoob said:
too get the supercritical going it only has to be at 1,100 psi @ 87F, which is only 15F higher than room temp and not even hotter than your own body.

the difference between 1,100PSI for the supercritical state and the 800PSI for low pressure extraction is little.

it does say that 6,000psi to 10,000psi is used to extract, but that's the industry. by having such a high psi they are trying to extract every little bit because they're a business.

extracting at 1,100psi might not solvent all the essential oils, so it could go a little higher.

I am only theorizing by the way, I might not know what I'm talking about :asskick:

I say do a stream extraction.

wouldn't the steam vape the weed? also, they say that low pressure is better than supercritical to get the highest quality oils...

jdubz206

MarquisBlack said:
So would it be safe to assume that a tank that is capable of 800+ psi could be connected to a solenoid > steel tube > collection flask would work for said extraction?

If so, an existing grow room CO2 systems seems like it could be pretty suited for this. Could be interesting.

i was thinking the same thing but honestly don't have much knowledge on this subject.

LowWater

Low pressure CO2 is often the best method for producing high quality botanical extracts. CO2 has a high loading rate in this state meaning that you will have to pump many volumes of CO2 through a given volume of botanical. The loading rate is typically 10-40 volumes. For this reason, it is important to have a high flow pump and a CO2 recycle system unless wasting high volumes of CO2 is not a concern.
The webpage will this info is http://www.edenlabs.org/supercritical_extraction.html. Pretty damn interesting.

From EDEN re Supercritical Fluid Extraction:
"The downside is that some extracts can be damaged by either the high pressure breaking molecular ring structures or the fact that moisture in the botanicals can react with the CO2 and form carbonic acid which can turn some oils rancid."

Yes, I realize this thread is ancient.

If you crack the aromatic ring and start ingesting carbonic acid, you have a big health problem. Doesn't this render SFE an unusable technique?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Has anyone ever tried a low pressure co2 extraction to make oil? I've heard of people talk about supercritical co2 extraction of hash oil but never seen it in action. That's probably because it requires huge machines that are able to keep the co2 in liquid form through very high pressure. DIY Supercritical extraction with co2 would be extremely dangerous, maybe even more so than butane. The co2 must be above 1100 psi. Normally it co2 extraction takes place between 6,000-10,00 psi. Basically it seems impossible unless you know how to build a pressurized chamber that would be SAFE or have $20,000+ to shell out on an extractor.

Low pressure extraction actually seems like it would be the best bet for making hash. Check out this information I found:

There are two basic types of CO2 extraction. Low pressure cold extraction involves chilling CO2 to between 35-55 degrees F and pumping it through the plant material at between 800-1,500 psi. Supercritical Fluid extraction involves heating the CO2 to above 87F and pumping it above 1,100 psi. Usually this work is done between 6,000-10,000 psi. Supercritical Fluid CO2 can best be described as a dense fog whereas the first method described uses the CO2 in a dense liquid state.

So it would seem that if you were to chill a bottle to 35-55 degrees and pumped it through a metal tube with a valve at 800+ PSI, it would extract... I don't know much about this subject at all, I may be completely wrong but I'd really like to hear any info about this idea and why or why not it would not work. Is 800 PSI an extreme amount of pressure? Don't paintball guns use somewhere around this amount?

Something else to consider that I found on the same page, especially for those doing butane extractions like me:

Propane- There is a little known school of thought in the natural products industry which believes that propane is the ultimate solvent for extracting botanicals. Eden Labs has tested this theory thoroughly and we have come to the conclusion that there is something to it. Although propane cannot be as widely manipulated through temp. and pressure as CO2, it produces very similar results, sometimes better. It has an amazingly small loading ratio 1-4 volumes and it can be recovered quickly. This means much faster production times. It leaves no toxic residues and it is an all natural, organic solvent. The material data safety sheet, MSDS, says it is harmless except for the fact that is flammable. Because it works at relatively low pressures, 80-150 psi, the technology costs much less than a full supercritical CO2 system and can be very competitive in terms of quality and speed of production.

My research suggests that subcritical extractions are possible with CO2, but low pressure extractions also extract excessive non actives and the high quality ones are done above 5500psi. We will be exploring that more this year, so stay tuned.

Latest posts

Latest posts