What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First Cabinet Ghetto Grow.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
Wahts up all. This started as my first hydro grow, but complication and problems have turned this into my first organic soil grow.

started in hydro didnt have proper nutes

after a while they started to suffer, root rot bad ph, etc.

i cloned the best then put em in dirt. mg soil to keep em alive longer.

then eventually repotted with organic mix

fast forward a month or so and here we are. like 30 days since flowers showed.

Don't take this personal, because I know nothing about Hydro setups, but Those are some really big lava rocks, looks like the ones in my front yard around the edge of my house. LOL

Never seen anyone try to use those to grow in. Only seen peeps use the round hydroton rocks.

Good to see you made it work and switched to a better medium.

Do you really pee on your plants? That can't be good.

Anyways, Good Luck!

O

Orga_Nerd

DRKN_MNKY420 said:
Don't take this personal, because I know nothing about Hydro setups, but Those are some really big lava rocks, looks like the ones in my front yard around the edge of my house. LOL

Never seen anyone try to use those to grow in. Only seen peeps use the round hydroton rocks.

Good to see you made it work and switched to a better medium.

Do you really pee on your plants? That can't be good.

Anyways, Good Luck!

Whats up DRKN_MNKY420, actually if you dilute it in water it can add nitrogen(i think it's N) to the mix. But really it should be like a last resort. Or if you feel like trying organic! lol. Sry im :joint:

iv seen people use lava rocks but of a lot smaller size iv never dun hydro but i plan to one day try a dwc bucket in my grow i like soil other then the frickin bug problems

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
thanks for the positive responses. yeah those are pretty large rocks compared to what people usually use. but its just for support so as long as they fit in the "netcups" its cool. i have used pee in the past its cool for nitrogen and some trace elements. works fine as long as you dilute it 10:1. but if you got something better then you should use that instead of urine.

fights not over yet though i seem to be nitrogen deficient even thought there should be plenty in the soil. 2 plants look overnitrated the 3rd one looks like its really starving. all the large fan leaves are yellowing and wilting. shouldnt be this starved so early in flower. i think i should have used bigger pots prolly but its too late for that now. but these pots should be large enough for flowering clones. ive seen people flower out clones in 20oz pop bottles and solo cups.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
weekly update

couple of pics of the cab. 2 door utility cabinet, 3feet tall 2 feet wide 1foot and some change deep. ballast and cords in the top compartment, lights, fans, plants in bottom. passive intakes. 2x80mm fans + 1x120mm fans for exhaust. still gets to lower 90's on hot days. i need to seal my box up with caulk for proper ventilation. exhaust goes into home made carbon filter im currently working on. i need to finish cuz they're really starting to stink... more than they were before.

a budshot

full shot of plant A im gonna call jenny
leaves are all yellowing and dropping off i dont know why exactly i thought maybe it was just the flowerign process. first time using organics. all my other plants finished dark green. anyway the buds are pretty small still and i figure ill let it go at least another 20 days im gonna have to feed it or all the fan leaves will be gone by then. hopefully its just hungry.

jenny 1 week ago

jenny 2 weeks ago

side shot jenny

this is plant B im gonna call her Lois been watering plain water like 2-3 weeks or so now i really need to start keeping a diary again. anyway the claw shit is still going on but its not super green anymore so im gonna start feeding lightly again.
closeup of the top.

Plants C and D hard to see cuz theyre tied together and trained around each other. one is a straight single cola type plant like Lois and the other is more leggy like Jenny. i shall just call them the sasha and misha

this shot is a seeded budsite. i polinated both of them with pollen from the 2 males i got out of the 6 plants i started. but it seems only misha (the short one) actually developed any seeds. actually i take that back i think sasha made 1 seed. i collected it already i call it betty.

top shot of misha

side shot sasha and misha

another angle.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
nothing much to report this week. lost more leaves on jenny so i decided to give another shot of nutes. 1/2 str veg and full strength bloom for everyone. then plain water from now till i chop sometime at the end of the month for jenny, sasha misha, and lois al look like they will go long.

jenny top, jeny profile, and a closeup of a lower bud.

sasha and misha i untied tied them from each other so they can get more light now that the stretch is over and they are starting to pack on the weight.
closeup op the top of misha.

lois cola shot, middle bud shot, and full profile. the buds on this one are so dense and hard. i wish i had xray vision so i could see whats going on inside these dense buds. humidity is low so i dont think i will have to worry about any bud rot. doesnt seem to be much activity on lois. maybe a few new pistils here and there. the old pistils are a slight orange color. they arent dry or anything they just turned orange some month ago and have been like that ever since. maybe its pistils naturally change color. at any rate this one is getting cloned for a breeding mother. its a really hardy plant and the buds are so hard and solid.

see you next week.

Quazi

Looking good man!

The bud is looking delicious.

Did you ever figure out your filter that you were referring to in an earlier post? If so, I'd love to see what you came up with.

Thanks and keep on growin!

:rasta:

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
yeah i finished my filters, they worked really good for like a week, then i come in the house and im like ...sniff sniff, something smells like weed in here lol.

back to the draw'ring board. pics later.

fans blow hot air up and out through these 2 filters you see here. nothing fancy, stocking, polyester fill, duct tape. i need to redo em because i think the airflow isnt going through correctly. i can smell weed again. either that or my plants are so dank they smell right through carbon.

Last edited:

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
went back and reworked my carbon filters. i made it closer to sugar bears design i think im using the exact same pencil holders.

sorry i dont have any WIP pics, i didnt think to take pics until afterwards even though the camera was right in front of me the whole time.

heres my cab and how it looks disguised up. I need to work on it some more so that the weatherstripping isnt so obvious and to fix the light leaks. ill be doing that between harvest and the next crop. gonna take the back off which is just the cardboard backing it came with and im gonn caulk it all up from the inside, then replace it with wood and an outlet so that its self contained and all i need to do is apply power. currently theres a cord dangling out the back for the powerstrip.

all shots of jenny. i didnt feel like takin em all out of the box plus it was lights out time.

Last edited:

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i opened the box and saw a spiderweb dangling from one of my plants. eek no, not the dreaded borg.

I chopped Lois, pistils are like 70%+ turned so i figured its prolly time. the smoke test will let me know if it should go longer next run. gonna flower out the rest of the bottom buds with the other girls and reveg.

I dont know if you're supposed to use old urine, ive alway used it fresh diluted 10:1. keep me updated on how its going with your plants.

anyway wish me luck in these next 2-3 weeks. hope that was a spiderweb and not a spidermite.

Last edited:

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
I found a scale to weigh the semi dried lois budstick up there. it said 16g after 5 days drying. i figure it wont be fully dry for another week and im estimating losing another 50% or so water weight. maybe more. so minus the 2 sample smokes i took from the bottom i think around 7 g should be what im left with. not bad i guess i wanted more. i shoulda let it go longer. the high is really creeper. i smoked a bowl then i smoked another bowl. nothing happened for like 10 minutes then it was like wait... wait i remember this from when i was a teenager. im high and i didnt realize it till just now. fun fond memories. im currently flowering out the rest of lois so i can see the optimal flowering period. the trich are mostly cloudy on whats left, it was half cloudy clear when i chopped.

jenny, looks like she might be about done. im puzzled on this one. the pistils are like 90% turned but the trichs are mostly still clear. its like indica structure with sativa flowering time. im gonna go another week then chop.

leaves are really yellowing up and shriveling so i think it might just be almost time. im seeing some classic color changing action from some of the bud leaves all those nutes are being used up and hopefully it'll be nice smooth clean smoke.

now on to sasha and misha. i plucked a seed out of sasha last time. so far i have a seed from jenny, a seed from sasha, and at least 2 more seeds developing on misha. should be a nice run next time assuming they arent all males.
sasha the one with 2 branches is smelling like a faint berry scent, and the way it flowers reminds me of all those kush plants ive seen. same golf balls but more sativa leaning. misha smells like i dont know how to explain it. its like something funky like garbage and something else lemony and citrussy. and the resin omg. dont touch any of the buds by accident your hand will keep getting stuck to everything you touch untill you wash em. this is gonna be some skinky shit i can tell already. pistils are turning, maybe at about 40-50% now. but its still so super dark. im gonna harvest the top cola only at the end of the month and let the rest keep going till it looks like its done. i had to transplant halfway through the flowering and all that fresh nitrogen in the soil mix i use is the culprit for all this dark green. plus all the trichomes are still clear.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
buds were almost dry today so i chopped them away from the main stem, i also had a sample smoke of some bottom buds. i dont know if the quick dry just dried it out or what but when i ground it down in the old grinder i found a ton of what were either dried out buds or premature seeds. i dont know. at any rate this plant definately needs to go longer, much longer the calyx are so small and im sure its because the plant needs more flowering time. or the ferts were lacking. im gonna clone it and figure it out.

heres some shots i took before i put it in a jar to cure. i had to photoshop because the flash is so bright against the paper it was washed out. almost looks like the weed im drooling over when other people post shots.

CannyMcCannabis

looks good man! where did you get that cabinet?? I'm trying to find that exact same style, barn doors w/ white particle board. Thanks and I'll keep and eye on this one!

CMcC