What's new

Urban grow, light & scent

Does anyone have an effective way to cover the smell of your garden? Like rosemary, lavender, & basil.

Also, will it hurt if there is mh light on 4 hours after sunset?

Here are some topping and bending techniques shown on different strains, indcas, sativas, and hybrids.

First gdp, the two top branches are tied down so the lower leaves fill in. Slowly bend the branches back further everyday. The plant will become wide and short.

Last edited:
Heres the grandaddy now. Her top branches are now the ones on the far left and right and the middle filled in nicely!

Here she is from above, look how symetrical!

Grape Ape was also topped early to form two lead branches, and has just been tied down. she hasn't filled out yet like the GDP, but she's got 3x as many lead branches now! I couldn't be happier :)

Sticky Lung, can't wait to try her, her stem is the thickest of the bunch!

OG Kush:

Ken's GDP x Double Purple Doja:

Jack The Ripper:

Jack's Cleaner II:

Chem Dawg:

Same Chem took her top growth on her lead branches and tied them down, this will create the same effect of toping her, except later you can untie that top and will have more tops than if you had topped.. follow that?

Black Jack:

They're in fox farm soil with Puravida nutes (omri) & karma when they need it.

If the basil flowered the same time as my buds hopefully the basil would overpower the scent. Still open to suggestions, I've heard of using coffee, ona gel, insence, candles, etc. before- but thats only for indoor!

Maybe I'll check out the wind patterns in my area and pray the wind will sweep the sweet scent away! Peace

Last edited:
G

guest5703

Looks good many gotta love cali ;) You've got a decent amount of strains there do you happen to have a grower friend helping you out?? Always helps ;) Anyways they look really nice, they should flower beautifully but the scent is hard to hide, if your in a backyard I wouldn't worry too much about it, are your neighbor's sketchy?? Maybe you could hide them better?? Anyways looks good, I'd prolly cut the lower branches bending over on that jack cleaner 2 and make more energy go towards the tops, other then that keeps it up! Are you PH'ing the the nutrient mixes before using? PEACE

jackel

that overhead light will fuck u up. friend had his plants revegging cuz of a street light. he put a fence up that blocked most of the light. helped his problem. either that or a bb gun :D
smells hard to combat in the backyard. in another thread iv read somewhere, someone mentioned a compost pile which makes a lot of sense. the smell of horse shit n decomposing leaves stink just god awful (and yet soo lovely at the same time :D)
be prepared for the Grape Ape to mold. iv grown her (and culled her from my garden). she is soo compact with soo many fan leaves she doesnt allow air flow, and molds easily. u have to take her early otherwise she till turn into gray fuzzy mush before u know it.

Thanks for the advice! I planted them in the middle of my garden, but have to bend them to keep them below the other plants. I think the Jack's Cleaner bottom 2 branches should grow pretty nice colas. Outside they get lots of light all around and are pretty big.

I hope they don't reveg, I'll watch and see if they don't form pistils.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on that grape ape. Thats a great idea -compost pile, something that smelly would do the trick!

Last edited:
Pistil pics!

Pistil pics!

Despite the street lamp most of the ladies are coming along nicely! So here are pics to show their pistils and internode length. The Jack's Cleaner hasn't put out and pistils yet. Is it true that sativas are more sensitive to light (like that street lamp)?

First GDP, I love her structure, she looks like a bunch of different plants all pushed in together, but she is really leafy!! I think more bending is required, to expose the lower bud sites. This may not be the strain to top & bend.

My grape is filling out nicely since I tied her down, but still has god spacing, not too bushy.

BlackJack

Og Kush

StickyLung, shes gonna be dense. She has the shortest internode length of them all with a thick stem, and many budsites.

Group Shot, they're starting to peak above the canopy.

Last edited:

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Nice grow and great selection of genetics goin there! Gonna be a nice harvest for you for sure.

inverse

hey, nice garden! loving the morning glory covering up your fence

i'm sort of in the same predicament... back yard grow... they get some faint light from the street light all night...but theyve been flowering so far so i dunno if i should be worried about reveg or them going hermie...

any thoughts?

norwalkin

Light issues

Light issues

:joint: Hey Now! :jump:

Good looking garden killa'

I have 3 Blackjacks comin' down in the AM tomorrow. Hope yours does as well!

I wouldn't worry too hard about street lights as there is not a whole lot ya' can do ... I can see three from almost anywhere in my garden. I have had many sucessful flower cycles with no reveg or hermies due to distant lights. The city lights nearest my grow appear no brighter in intensity than a full moon IMHO. Although the neighbors motion light recently added is too close for my taste but they do not mind the odor so I will deal w/ light issues.
Just my 2 cents.

Concerning odor control .... here in So Cal Magnolias bloom twice a year and are very fragrant also Jasmine is prolific and will out odor the stinkiest plants. If you have luck with it Rosemary will smell it up too.....just does not like the climate ... at least for me .... lol .... And that Oleander grows EVERYWHERE and is almost always in flower.

Like jackal said watch the mold once they dense up it hits fast ...took 1/2 my White Rhino crop (DOOH! mistook it for Budworm damage :bashhead: ).

Bud worms are enjoying the dense Blackjack buds also ... got a new striped variety this year ... damn things :cuss:

Looks like i gota go wade through the drying Rhino and salvage what I can to make room in the dryer for Blackjack. Damn beautiful plants. Very thick gooey colas. Hats off to Sweetseeds for now :rasta: .... smoke will be the test.

Keep On Growin' :canabis:

OK for some reason I cannot just click on the pics in my gallery as when I submit I get : Your Post contains one or more URLs, please remove them before submitting your message again.

So please check out my gallery for those pics .... Good growing! :confused:

6 weeks in!

6 weeks in!

All my strains are coming along NICELY!!! despite the street lamp, yay! They 5-6 weeks in now, and even my jack's cleaner is in full swing.

Inverse, if your light source is the same distance, about 30 feet above, than no worries. At least my strains aren't phased by it, but I've heard of light sensitive strains before.

Hey norwalk, I'm sure to check out your black jack, my bj is pretty small because I put her out late, but I got flowering pics of her now. They're not stinking up yet... Then again I've always seem to become immune to my own garden's smell, so Ima have to invite someone over and ask their opinion. Plus I saw the neighbor tryin to peak over the fence the other day, grrr. Just 2 more weeks!!! Cross your fingers!

Tada! here are my sparkling ladies:

Grandaddy Purple. She is super bushy and a heavy feeder. I expect that I will cut her top colas off and leave the bottom buds on to ripen, because they are so shaded by the fatty fan leaves.

OG Kush, she's almost 5 weeks, I expect her to become more frosty...

Sticky Lung, I expect her to be my best yield, she's super dense. She smells of lemony citrus, but is an indica. I am stoked to taste her!

Chem Dog, wonkas cut anyone know if this is the real deal? Before and after:

Black Jack, pistils already turning purple, hells yeah!

Jack's Cleaner, before and after:

Thanks for checking my ladies out! Here are some other visitors...

Blue stripped dragonfly, that's gotta be a good omen right?

Last edited:

1000ARMSofKALI

nice plants, great looking buds, youre the girl killafornia i love the sun you have there

how was the smoke?:joint:

peace

Latest posts

Latest posts