What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

08 midwest outdoors

wisco61

I'm growing some plants for my first time outdoors this summer, and things are looking darn good. I'm at 45 N lat, in 2'x2'x2' holes of sand, peat, perlite, and water crystals. The native soil is 99% sand it seems, and will not support a plant placed directly in the ground. I tried it, it failed.
I've been feeding them 15-30-15 and 40-2-2, 1 heaping teaspoon per gallon. I watered about 5 times in June, feeding each time. So far in July, I have watered once and fed 3 times.

I started them as clones in March, all of them White Lady girls, 2 phenos. 4 plants of pheno 1, and 1 plant of pheno 2 :bashhead:

I've grown them both out indoors, they both produce a ton of trichs and finish in about 60 days. Pheno 2 being quicker and producing more trichs.

bud shot of an indoor one grown

Here is the main plot before planting on April 20th

I planted them all on May 24th. Forgot my camera that trip, but here is a shot of plant 2, the one plant of pheno 2 i planted from May 27.

I put chicken wire cages around them, 2 feet tall and a foot across. I ended up guiding the branches through the wire to give the stems support. I also added a second 4' high, 2' across cage in June as seen in the next pictures.

June 15th & 18th, WL#2

From June 25th, a group shot of the main plot, 4 plants. From left to right, 1,3,4 are pheno 1, 2 is P2.

Closeup of #2, June 25th

The 5th plant is off on its own, here it is June 15th and then the 25th.

So far, it is going amazingly well. Too well I imagine, but we shall see. Some of the leaves have been damaged by some type of leaf eating insect, but the damage is minimal when looking at the overall plant. Weather has been amazing, good solid rains when its cloudy, otherwise the sun has been just a-shining. Over 4" rain in June, and already over 5" for July. Hopefully it dries up come fall. It normally does anyways around here.

Regardless, this has been a great experience and I am already prepping at least another 10 holes for next year, and doing selections for some strains. I've also come to some realizations about the area I am in, and have big plans for next year! :muahaha:

Last edited:

wisco61

Alright, some more current pics.

Here is a group shot from July 8th.

And here is a group shot from July 23rd.

Here are plants 1-4 in order, from July 23rd.

Here is plant #5 on July 4th and the 23rd.

wisco61

Thanks Family, they are quite the bushes.

Gonna start hitting them with the flower nutes next week, they will hopefully stretch a bit more, but mostly fill out from here on out. I have the 15-30-15 I will use, plus a bottle of Earth Juice Bloom I need to use up. A bit of mollasses and I should be rocking I think.

I wish the bugs weren't so bad so I could spend more time getting next years plots going, but beyond marking them its just too brutal out in the woods for anything else atm.

wisco61

Thanks for stopping by littlej.

Got out to the plot this morning, more bug damage, but they are still moving right along. Not flowering, but lots of preflowers, I think she is preparing.

Found a guard at my plants. I have named him Rex. I assume he eats other bugs.

Main plot, 7/28

Stalk of plant #5, 7/28

wisco61

I wouldn't chance it with any seeds I payed money for, but with bag seed, what the hell. If this winter is like last, it probably won't happen, but if we don't have snow until mid-late November like some previous years, than you might make it.

Ppl grow indoors at 12/12 from seed so it should work in theory. But, I wouldn't chance it on a $50 pack of seeds.

wisco61

Got out to the plants yesterday and their is good news and bad news.

For the good news, the main plot looks great. I sprayed an insecticidal soap last week and its seems to have done the trick. There isn't any new bug damage and there were less bugs around it seemed. Plant 2 is still growing good and the other plants are starting to throw more hairs too. I don't think they are really into flower yet, but soon I think. I cleared a more branches and brush out, and marked 4 trees that are gonna get the ole Paul Bunyan treatment come fall.

Main Plot, August 6th

Plant #2, August 6th

The bad news occurred at plant 5. It appears a deer attacked the plant. Apparently the deer pushed the entire chicken wire cage and plant to the south and then raked back down on the north facing side of the plant breaking a few branches. A jihad upon the deer. I straightened her up as well as I could, cut off a bunch of broken and weakened branches and added support to some weakened ones. It looked like hell at first, and crap after I fixed her up.

But I came back about 6 hours later with more supports and wire, and she looked pretty decent at that point. She won't yield what she would have originally, but I think she will survive.

While it sucks, its ok cause its a lesson learned. Also, its gotten me even more excited about opening of deer archery season in about a month. I figure the main plot should make a fine blind. Oh yes, he will get his comeuppance. They all will get their comeuppance. :rant:

Oh and I gave them their first shot of Greencure. So mold has been put on notice. Hopefully thats as far as it goes, I don't want to have too many Jihads at once.

little j

i think its all good. i got a few plants jumped on by critters and you would be surprised what survives. i had a stem that was nibbled or trampled 75% of the way through. i tied it up and it was just some stem skin holding it in 1 pc. i thought for sure the top half of the plant was dead. the next week i went the top half had slipped down the stake and put a funky s curve in that skin. healed like a champ and looked strong and healthy.
dont write off a broken stem or even a really mangled stem until its yellow dead after a few days. i know i was surprised.
iim going to test my pm on you. thanks little j

Hey wisco61, hows Rex doin? Ha!
Nice lookin bushes you got, gonna make some big buds for ya I'm sure. don't worry about the deer stomp- looks like she'll still produce plenty, and plants like a little abuse anyways- what doesn't kill em makes em stronger. Have a safe and happy season, you're well on your way! They love the EJ outdoors as much as in.
Peace

wisco61

Thanks for stopping by and the kind words guys!

Got a cpl pics of some things I got on the plate for '09. First off, I am trying a cross. Taking the good White Lady pheno and crossing it to a bushy, thick, green Early Misty male. Hoping he will thicken her up and make her finish a bit earlier. Ideally by December I can have about 50 seeds started for spring selection. Planning to pick out 4-5 mothers to try out '09 outdoors.

I also started my project for fall/winter 08. Started 5 Mosca Negra C4xc99 freebies and 10 Nirvana Jock Horror a couple days ago. 3 c99 and 1 JH peeking above the soil so far, but its early. Looking forward to these beans, have heard good things about both strains.

Thats it for now, probably just a quick trip next week, but I will snap a few photos and post them up.

Last edited:

wisco61

34029Victory.JPG

I call hax PHL8T, I just got back from my spot and a huge weight feels like it has been lifted off my back. VICTORY!

Well, maybe not victory yet, but they are flowering anyways. The 4 plants of pheno1 look to be about 2 1/2 weeks into indoor 12/12 with the other pheno lagging about 5 days behind.
34029flower.JPG

This is great with it being my first time growing outdoors and not knowing much about this strain, I was stressing. Of course there are always more worries, but first some pics.

Here is the main plot, early AM August 20th

Here is plant #2, 8/20

Here is the plant that got attacked by a deer or bear or somesuch. It actually is the farthest along in flowering of all the plants. Including its sisters. I am not sure if it is because of the trauma it took or some other factor. I will say this. I checked this plant first and saw that it was flowering quite nicely and yelled with glee. As I walked towards the other plants, which I had not seen for a couple weeks, I thought about whether the damage from the deer had caused early flowering. What if this was the only plant that had started flowering? A quick thought of simulating deer damage to the other plants followed by a mental image of myself with deer antlers strapped to my head attacking my plants.... hey I was stoned. But then I saw they too had started flowering and I again yelled with glee.
Anyways, she still looks kinda roughed up from the attack, but she's alive!

Alright, onto the concerns. Plant number 3 is showing what looks to be a pretty bad N def. But its only on some leaves and only on this plant. I have cut way back on the N the last 4 feedings, except one time I gave them some 15-30-15. While watering this one I noticed the mulch and ground around this plant was more hydrophobic than the others. My hypothesis is the one time I gave them the 15-30-15, this plant didn't take in much cause I was in a hurry and didn't notice the runoff. Anyways, does that sound plausible? Also, is it OK to give it a good shot of N? I have some 42-4-4 I could use, too much at this stage?

And lastly, what's this and will Green Cure take care of it?

Thanks for all the views, kinds words, and help everyone. ICMag rocks. :jump:

little j

looking good wisco. your beat up plant looks like it will produce just fine. are you sure that last pic is mold? looks like purple pigmentation to me. hard to see exactly. did it rub off on your hand? i got the same confusing thing going on with some yellowing of a couple plants here too. i dont know why. they all get the same but 1 plant really is dropping leaves fast while the others are green. i thought maybe nute burn or heaven forbid nute lockout. i had earlier issues with that. like i said, im confused with it also. quick ques. you ever get my pm.? im wondering if im using correctly or if im a dick and nobody wants to talk.? watch you later. little j

Hey Wisco, you're plants look awesome bud! Making a guess we probably can't be much more than two hours away from eachother! I had big plans for this year but things fell through so I kinda threw out some beans at the last minute here, more of just an experiment. You have any concerns about your girls finishing before the cold weather hits? If you're looking at 60 days I think thats mid October ish. With our weather you never know I guess. Well I'm glad I stumbled on your thread and I'll keep in touch so we can hopefully share some info and knowledge about growing in a simliar climate/area. Best of luck.

Bugg

wisco61

Hey Bugg, really I am not sure. I've grown these plants indoors a couple rounds but never before outdoor. If these were indoor they would have about 45 days left, which puts me at the beginning of Oct.

Now beyond that, who the hell knows. The weather around here used to be kinda hard to predict, but now it is just fucked. Our first snow used to come on Halloween sometimes. Then we always seemed to have snow for deer rifle season or near thanksgiving. 3 or 4 years ago we didn't raelly have snow until Dec 23rd. But now this summer has been pretty cold, so who in the hell knows what it will do eh?

I hope they finish and hold out about 60% hope, but only time will tell.

wisco61

Good news, Rex is still alive and plant 5 now too has a guard!

Flowering moving along, pheno #2 seems to be changing color more than the others, but they all are somewhat.

A bit farther off shot of main plot, Aug 26.

I bought and brought a bunch of pro mix and other compost to my spot today. Also picked up a file to sharpen my shovel, gonna dig a few holes for next year tomorrow. A few days ago I started a compost pile out in the woods, its gonna suffer from lack of water, but it will be ready eventually and I don't have to haul it a mile into the woods.

All looking good otherwise, and the bugs have pretty much been wiped out with our recent cold nights. Real nice being able to hang out by the plants and smoke a bowl without being attacked. Looking forward to getting back tomorrow and getting some work done for '09.

Last edited: