What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dr.Bud for Dummy's

E

eLiguL

Soil Mix:

My soil mix Contains.....
-Local Peat
-Compost My own
-Worm Castings
-Perlite
-Vermiculite
-Composted Chicken Crap and Straw from Chicken House floor
-And some decomposed "Tree" from the forest behind the Cabin

30088Geisha_testers_3-20-08_008.jpg

Nutes:

per Gallon of water everytime I water

-They are fed 4-droppers full of Schultz 10-15-10
-1 Tbsp. Fish Emultion
-4 drops SuperThrive

Light Mounting:

The idea behind this is simple, in Dr.B’s SOG style grow you want to incorporate the stretch into the grow. This is achieved by mounting the lights at a height where the plants finish growing within inches of the lights. Currently, Dr.B flowers his clones at 2-3 inches and they finish at approx. 14in (Chesaw strain). A trial and error bases is required to find the ideal height for your strain/pheno type.

Dr.Bud’s diagnoses

The budsicle is the natural reaction of every MJ plant when you find her "Sweet Spot". The “SweetSpot” is the height at which we induce flowering to achieve max Height/Weight without side branching. The S.S.(SweetSpot) of each kind is different for some it's 3" and others its 5”,6”,7”, you get the Idea . My old Haze x xNL#5 flowered at 1" and finished 17 weeks later at 29-31".

Special note:

Q. Doc, I believe you said your flower box was 28" tall (?) Since your lights are fixed do you elevate the individual pots when they're first placed into the box ?

A. Yup' they sit on some 4" pots that are about 5 Inches tall for about 7-10 days when they first go in

30088Geisha_SOG_test_finshed_7-01-08_007.jpg

SOG:

-16 plants per sq ft.
-20oz(700ml) pop bottles cut down to 16oz(560ml) with 11 holes drilled into the bottom

30088Dew_the_Dew_001.jpg

Watering:

This “drowning” style of watering is only necessary when using a container that is 16oz or smaller. The benefits from this “ebb & flow” type of watering is it forces bad gases out and ensures all of the soil is used by the plant.

1. Find a container that is slightly larger than your 16oz bottle.
2. Place your 16oz bottle into the container.
3. Fill the container with water/nutes until the water level is above the soil, hold down soil if necessary.
4. Continue holding bottle down until you can no longer see bubbles rising to the surface(approx. 1-2 minutes under water).
5. Allow the bottle to completely drain before putting back into your grow space(usually takes 5-10mins).

NOTE 1: This watering method can be very time consuming, I speak from experience.
NOTE 2: Each bottle is given one quarter turn when returned to the cab so that all sides can receive light.

Early Sexing:

-When your seedling has hit its 3rd node, top it. In approx. 5-7 days, timing may vary from strain to strain, you will have two 1 inch cuttings. Use these two cuttings to determine your plant's sex.

30088Geisha_testers_3-20-08_001.jpg

Cloning:

-it is made from a bed of perlite in any clear/opaque container that seals.
-100% wet perlite soaked with 10 drops SuperThrive per gallon of water and pour off the excess water....leaving 1/2"(inch) of water under the perlite...
-Press the perlite down firmly...and make lil' holes in it about 1-1.5" apart...
-Make yur' cut and dip in whatever you use .....
-put it in the hole and press perlite up around it...
-Repeat til box is full...
-Seal it up and don't touch it for 2 dayz...
-after 2 days open it up 1 or 2 times per day....for a week or so then start lifting the top a lil' bit each day til it is off....
-When they show a lil' new growth ....pot'em up.....

30088Free_cloner_6-30-08_006.jpg

Flowering Box Detail's:

- 24" x 14" x 28"
- 5 warm white CFL’s
- Cooled with a 265 dayton blower
- interior is painted flat white

Dr.Bud’s diagnoses

-The temp. in the Cabin is a pretty steady 72-75 air is pulled out by a dayton 265 into the toilet vent
-Keeps it around 75-78 in the box
-I'm at just over 5,000 ft. it never gets hot for long....even in the summer
-210 watts of CFL's over 27 clones in 2 sq. ft.
-they finish in 9 weeks
-Avg. 7- 21 Grams dried per plant
-harvest 3 per week
-0.75-2.25 oz a week

30088Bud_box_12-10-06_00006.JPG

*Special thanks goes out to Dr.Bud for sharing his knowledge of MJ. :pimp3:
**Please let know if you find any inaccurate information and ill do my best to fix it up

Last edited:
E

eLiguL

FAQ

Q. Wouldn't it be better for your roots to use a container that doesn't let light through? just a thought

A. Traditionally this was thought to be true, however, this doesnt seem to affect the strains/phenos that Dr.Bud has grown out. The only way to find out if it affects your strain/pheno is to try it out for yourself.

*Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions or info to share.

Last edited:
E

eLiguL

Last edited:

petemoss

Good summary, eLiguL! In one of his threads, Dr Bud mentions that when cloning, the perlite is soaked with water containing 10 drops of Superthrive per gal.

Also, he says in the Geisha girls thread to top at the third node. But in his Bonzai Mum's thread, he shows a seedling topped at the first node at week 1. Which is the right way?

Last edited:

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
they are both right. if you can take cuttings and get them to root without extra nodes then do it! (twice as many clones!) if not, then take that extra node.

E

eLiguL

sandman8324 said:
wouldnt it be better for your roots to use a container that doesn't let light through? just a though

Traditionally this was thought to be true, however, this doesnt seem to affect the strains/phenos that Dr.Bud has grown out. The only way to find out if it affects your strain/pheno is to try it out for yourself.

Last edited:
E

eLiguL

petemoss said:
Good summary, eLiguL! In one of his threads, Dr Bud mentions that when cloning, the perlite is soaked with water containing 10 drops of Superthrive per gal.
Yes, this was in his Geisha test grow thread. Personally I dont think it is necessary and it really comes down to personal preference. I will add it so people can decide for themselves whether or not they want to try it.

petemoss said:
Also, he says in the Geisha girls thread to top at the third node. But in his Bonzai Mum's thread, he shows a seedling topped at the first node at week 1. Which is the right way?

I suspect that "seedling" he topped at 1 week was actually a clone. I could be wrong and will ask him when he gets back from his vacation to Cali.

Last edited:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The sour creek x casey jones is in the bonsai mums thread. He is showing how to make a bonsai mom. Topping at the first node makes the plant immediately start growing out the two side branches. These side branches can then be topped and/or clones taken to further encourage side branching. The object of a lot of topping is to create a small or bonsai style mom, ie a small plant with lots (DrBud's says 50-60) of tops meaning lots of clones.

Letting the geisha to grow to the third node before topping allows the plant to have more (ie 6) branches to start growing out once the top is gone. A little growth and DrBud had a lot of usable clones immediately along with the original plant he could either flower or turn into a bonsai mom.

I guess the difference I'm trying to point out is that the sour creek x casey jones was topped younger because it was being topped for the purpose of creating a bonsai mom. The geisha was topped later because it was being topped for the purpose of creating a bunch of clones right away that he could root and flower.

petemoss

Hey thanks, blynx! I'm sure you're right about the topping. I'm trying to get ready to try a DrBud SOG now that my bloom cab is finally up and running. Got some seeds germing and I'm going over the details in my head. This should be fun!

E

eLiguL

petemoss said:
Hey thanks, blynx! I'm sure you're right about the topping. I'm trying to get ready to try a DrBud SOG now that my bloom cab is finally up and running. Got some seeds germing and I'm going over the details in my head. This should be fun!

Please come back and share your experience once you have completed a full run using his methods. I would like to use one of the saved post as a gallery for students of Dr.Buds methods.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I've seen countless number of people regurgitate the "don't let light hit the roots" fact, yet I myself have grown in clear containers and I've seen many others do the same, with no ill effects.

One thing that has more of an impact than people might realize is the watering method, I think it is an important part of his growing style. I noticed improved growth when watering like that without a doubt.

Last edited:
E

eLiguL

bounty29 said:
I've seen countless number of people regurgitate the "don't let light hit the roots" fact, yet I myself have grown in clear containers and I've seen many others do the same, with no ill effects.

One thing that has more of an impact than people might realize is the watering method, I think it is an important part of his growing style. I noticed improved growth when watering like that without a doubt.

Im not sure if it was you who posted a pic of his dunking method??

If it was in fact you, would you mind linking me to the picture so I can add it to the thread??