What's new

DP "Mazar" Window Grow

Continuation of my first thread, renamed for accuracy's sake.

My mazars are 20 days old now from seed and starting to grow a little more robust. It's interesting to see the different phenotypes you get from the same batch (supposedly) of seeds. Here they are:

The one seedling that had a wilting stem problem has recovered nicely, now the injured part is thicker than the rest of the stem. This plant's ability to bounce back after a almost completely broken and wilted stem has amazed me.

Before, inside the clear tape "splint" there was almost nothing left:

Now, see how thick the stem has become:

I have begun with fertilizers, I bought this organic stuff called "Bio-Grow" by BioBizz. It's supposed to be used with every watering, and the plants have definitely responded with perkier, more lush growth in the past few days.

Not sure when nature will call the plants to start the flowering cycle but I'm hoping sometime in late august.

AF

Day 42 from seed.

The plants are growing alright, and I believe I am starting to see preflowers, but I'm not for sure. The resolution isn't great, but don't these look male to you?

You can also see where I got a bit overzealous with the supercropping and nearly snapped off a main stem.

This next photo shows how much ambient light the plants are exposed to at night in the city. Could this prevent flowering?

Thanks guys.

AF

Day 51 from seed.

Good news! All three plants are female!

I don't know if I got feminized seeds or if I was just lucky. Although now I have triplets to contend with.

Since yesterday I have begun moving the plants to a dark closet at 8pm and putting them back out in the morning, giving them around 13-14 hours of total darkness. I'm doing this to make sure the plants are definitely starting to flower; I'm not sure if showing sex is an indication of the beginning of flowering, or just a result of age. Thus day 50 from seed is officially day 1 of flowering.

Dutch Passion's website says the strain requires 8-9 weeks to complete flowering, kind of a bummer, but we'll see how it goes. That means these babies should be done around October 5. Let the fun begin!

AF

Day 54 from seed.

The plants are starting to develop bunches of white pistils at their growing tips. I wonder how much these guys are gonna stretch. I think I let them go way too long in veg.

I bought BioBizz's "Bio-Bloom" at my local growshop and began using it yesterday at half strength. I'll kick it up bit by bit, but it's tempting to use more because the stuff doesn't hardly color the water at all. 5ml/L is the maximum dose on the bottle. The site also says you can continue to use Bio-Grow in conjunction with Bio-Bloom during flowering...but I'm gonna take it easy at first to see what the kids can handle.

:joint:

AF

WAMEN

Joint Date: Today.
Veteran
nice grow! those organic fermented ferts (i use Canna BioFlores) like BioBloom are kind of light .. i usually let the water get totally brown (like tea) adding a good dose of fert..5ml/L is a good indicative dose.. i would give around 3 .

Good luck and have a good one :wave:

WAMEN, thanks for the helpful advice.

brendon420, yeah, if you'll look at my original thread, you'll see how these plants started out.

Took a couple of pics today because one of my plants is worrying me a bit. It's got these little nanner-lookin' things at several nodes, and i'm wondering if I don't have a hermaphrodite on my hands. I read somewhere that mazar has a tendency to hermie, and having dealt with them in my last grow, i would prefer not to see my females pollinated this time.

Otherwise things are looking good, more and more of those white pistils popping out up top :)

I'll keep an eye on the maybe-hermie one and post when I am a little more sure. If it's a hermie I'm tossing it. Or maybe giving it away jejeje :)

AF

Nah dude, all three of my plants are covered in white hairs and producing tops, it's just that one of them also has those little boogers and I'm just not quite sure what they are. The other plants don't have them.

Moleculist

Those are some very healthy looking plants you have, hope no more hermi on you, assuming that is what is happening :\

These only get natural light?

Day 58 from seed.

I just couldn't stop taking pictures today, the plants are looking really nice.

Sun shining through and casting shadows on the sheer curtains. First thing I see in the morning :)

When I open the window...

From below

From above

To answer moleculist's question, the plants receive direct sun from 9:00-14:00 and then they are in the shadow of the building the rest of the day, and that's how it's been since day 1. Really demonstrates the magic of the sun (or maybe the magic of Mazar, who knows).

I have been playing around with the light cycle of these plants, trying to get them into full flower mode more quickly. For the past week I have been putting them inside in a dark closet from 20:00-9:00 to guarantee 13 hours of complete darkness. They started showing sex before I started doing this, but I wanted a reference point to begin counting days. At some point I plan to stop bringing them in and just leave them out, even though they'll get fewer hours of darkness, and it won't be completely dark for the streetlights as I posted several posts above. I will be watching carefully to see if they are affected by this. I would suspect that the only issue that might arise is that the plants end up taking longer to finish.

About the suspiciously hermie-looking things on one of my plants...well a couple of days later those things have swelled and opened up to reveal bunches of white pistils. What a relief. I've never seen a plant pop those out like that before, but maybe that's what you get with a supposedly high-yielding plant like Mazar, buds literally popping out everywhere. I'll still keep my eyes peeled for male flowers, but as of now everything is confirmed A-OK.

Stay tuned.

AF

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Male pre-flowers could be caused by slight light exposure at night to the city's glow. If you pullem and get them off early they wont cause any problems. Nice window grow though.

Day 67 from seed. Flowering day ±23.

The plants are coming along nicely, the tallest tops are about 70cm in height.

Unfortunately one plant has popped a few male flowers, about 5, which I was able to remove before they opened. Now I'm concerned that it will continue to sprout flowers, and I will inevitably miss one, and I will end up with a bunch of seeds. I can't bring myself to throw it away, so looks like that's the risk I'll be taking.

Rainman mentioned that the city's glow could be the cause. Here's a long-exposure shot of the ambient light the plants receive at night:

It's quite a lot, to be honest, and I'm thankful that the plants are even flowering at all. Hopefully I'll be able to catch any more male flowers before they open.

The buds are finally starting to show some sparkle, which really showed up when I utilized the digital zoom + flash. Looking forward to some crystally buds. Hopefully these Mazars will live up to their Cannabis Cup and Highlife Cup winning heritage.

AF

Flowering week 5 (day 30-ish).

I've kicked up the fertilizers, giving them 5 ml/L of Bio-Bloom plus 2 ml/L of Bio-Grow yesterday. I won't increase the doses much more than this as 5 ml/L is the maximum on the label. Anyone else use this brand?

Buds are densing up bit by bit. Tallest plant is 73cm. Found a seed developing the other day. Pulled it off but was frustrated because even after carefully combing up and down each stem, I could not find the culprit flower. I've seen bees buzzing around my plants...maybe it got pollinated from them? Although I think the chances of that are slim.

Lots of the white hairs look "burnt" at the tips. I don't know if it's because I'm letting the plants dry out too much between waterings or what. Look at this next photo, this top looks like every single hair has been burnt off. Ferts at fault here?

Still, they aren't looking two bad for only 5 hours of direct sunlight a day. One more month to go...

AF

b8man

Veteran
For a window grow they're looking great Air Freshener - good work.

It's good to remind people occasionally how easily they could grow their own.

Are you worried about the smell at all?