What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY SuperMacro lens for under $10

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i wish i could see a picture of you taking a picture with this method... looks legit!

im all about saving $$$

clowntown

Veteran
The length of the tubing allows you to have a little bit of control on the magnification and focus, depending on the type of camera you have.

Mine is just long enough to securely hold onto the camera's telescoping lens, and hold the loupe's lens in its entirety + about a 1/2" of room to move the lens back and forth, if necessary. There's a notch in the middle of the coupling that prevents the lens from sliding back any further than that point.

This is my Canon SD750:

Canon-sd750-C930-1296.jpg

Can you see where it fits onto? :chin:

Last edited:

Hawk

Nice!

For comparison, what kind of macro shots can you get without the DIY lens?

Last edited:

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
Well done sir! I have an el cheapo pos camera that JUST gets by and this will def be a project in my future! Thanks!

Namaste, mess

Oooh.

Oooh.

I'm going to be trying this out tomorrow - I also have the SD750.

Your initial pictures came out much better than I had anticipated upon reading, and with a tripod I would expect the clarity to be even better.

Thanks for the tip!

clowntown

Veteran
Abusive OG Kush macros @ 69 days

Abusive OG Kush macros @ 69 days

Macros of Abusive OG Kush, freshly chopped @ 69 days:

The trichomes will become much more densely packed when the buds dry and shrink a bit... :D

Oh, still no tripod!! :nono:

Last edited:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very cool idea clowntown!

If you spend a bit more on a triplet (3 lenses) jeweler's loupe, your pictures will look sharp edge to edge, like this

Instead of this

You will see aplanatic aberrations like this with cheap jeweler's loupes. This distortion is corrected (along with color distortion) by using more than one lense.

devilgoob

Veteran
Very nice! Screw buying a real macro lens.

Been wanting to macro on the cheap :)

Powershot rules. I take pictures of fans and it gets all the blades with no blur....as if the fan stood still for the shot. :rasta:

chiliwalt

blynx said:
Very cool idea clowntown!

If you spend a bit more on a triplet (3 lenses) jeweler's loupe, your pictures will look sharp edge to edge, like this

Instead of this

You will see aplanatic aberrations like this with cheap jeweler's loupes. This distortion is corrected (along with color distortion) by using more than one lense.

Very nice addendum to clowntown's post blynx... Very nice.

clowntown

Veteran
Canon PowerShot

Canon PowerShot

Thanks for that info, blynx! :yes:

devilgoob said:
Powershot rules. I take pictures of fans and it gets all the blades with no blur....as if the fan stood still for the shot. :rasta:
High ISO speed is good. :yes: Pretty decent auto-ISO detection.

But I really like the PowerShot's compared to a couple of other digital cameras I've had in the past, including recent Sony CyberShot's (no custom white balance!) and Nikon Coolpix P&S cameras.

Great macros with magnifying lens. Gotta check out the "Digital Macro" feature soon... :joint:

Last edited:

Murphy

Where's Pontiac? This one should hit that list he keep for everyone.
Thanks for the post Clowntown!!

clowntown

Veteran
Loupes - singlet, triplet, and fakes

Loupes - singlet, triplet, and fakes

Thanks all for the support. :yes:

So I did a little looking around for "triplet" loupes, and it turns out that there are two types:

• True triple-lens
  • Fake triplets, using a single lens -- but can produce better results than regular single lens

I have the fake triplet, consisting of a single lens as you see below.

http://www.njminerals.org/loupes.html

http://www.njminerals.org/loupes.html said:
singlet1.jpg

Not all so-called "triplet" loupes are true 3-lens magnifiers. The type at right is often advertised as a "triplet", yet disassembly reveals it to have only one, simple lens. The price is often the clue- this one was in the $3 to $5 range.
Some single-lens "fake triplets" actually give very good image quality, but this appears to be luck. The quality is unpredictable but usually not that great. I keep these around for field-collecting, unless the image quality is really bad.

Pfft, whatever. Looks good 'nuf to me:

Oh yeah...

Last edited:
D

Don Cotyle

clowntown your getting props and rep!!! Excellent idea, I know what I'll be doing this weekend!!!

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
sorry i didn't see this earlier clown.

it's in the brand new photography/microscopy section btw.

Murphy

and there you go! Great post Clowntown

maybe I'm just easily impressed or something but I think this thread sould be getting more attention, it's a great cheap way for everyone to get macros......and I was looking into buying a new camera when I found this thread