What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Don't Talk to the Police - video by law professor

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Last edited:

SomeGuy

668, Neighbor of the Beast
Great find!

Great explanation. Same thing every lawyer I've ever had has told me.

F

fully baked

I enjoyed the first vid. Second link is dead or not working right now...

I've seen the first video before and he's right. It won't help you out at all when you talk to the cops. Zip your lip. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

Stay safe,
SC

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
What stood out the most to me is the part where talking to police is a one way street. They can use whatever you say against you but you can't use anything you say in your own defense. Never knew that!

FrankRizzo

Listen to me jerky
I liked the boxing analogy. Go into the ring with an olympic boxer, you're not gonna win. Go into a "interview" with a cop, you not going to win either.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Despite what they tell you, despite what they try to force you to do, this is the same for the UK as it ever was.

No matter how innocent a remark can seem, to a Policeman and his friends the prosecuting lawyer you will be amazed what can be turned around to make you look as bad as possible.

An old friend was caught on the beach at 3am, 100M away from 600KG of resin... he said nothing .... it came to court and he explained how he was going fishing and produced 3 good witnesses who were going fishing with him. He got a not guilty.

You might think you are caught pants down, but legally everything is very different, things you think are damning, are irrelevant, silly throwaway remarks and seemingly irrelevant remarks or details can hang you.

SAY NOTHING.

SomeGuy

668, Neighbor of the Beast
ItsGrowTime said:
What stood out the most to me is the part where talking to police is a one way street. They can use whatever you say against you but you can't use anything you say in your own defense. Never knew that!

Thats crazy! I didn't know that at all till I saw that. How in the hell can anything incriminating you say be held against you, yet anything else be considered hearsay?

G

This is a great thread. I never realized just how easy it is to get yourself in deep shit with even the most innocent statement. This guy is a very good lawyer.

ChaosCatalunya said:
Despite what they tell you, despite what they try to force you to do, this is the same for the UK as it ever was.

No matter how innocent a remark can seem, to a Policeman and his friends the prosecuting lawyer you will be amazed what can be turned around to make you look as bad as possible.

An old friend was caught on the beach at 3am, 100M away from 600KG of resin... he said nothing .... it came to court and he explained how he was going fishing and produced 3 good witnesses who were going fishing with him. He got a not guilty.

You might think you are caught pants down, but legally everything is very different, things you think are damning, are irrelevant, silly throwaway remarks and seemingly irrelevant remarks or details can hang you.

SAY NOTHING.

To play devil's advocate here, I would like to say that in your friend's situation, telling the police he was fishing probably didn't help him or hurt him.
Why? CAUSE HE WAS CAUGHT AT THE BEACH AT 3 AM NEAR (somewhat) A CRAPLOAD OF HASH.
I would wager that he was the only one nearby when the police found the hash, and they would have arrested him even if he didn't say anything. At least he gave a plausible reason for why he was out at the beach at that hour.
If he had been in his home 3 miles away sleeping of course it wouldn't even be an issue.
It's like if you're caught in the woods at night fifty yards away from a dead body. You're the only one around, your presence is at least suspicious, you could say nothing they'll still take you in. And whether you say nothing or tell them you like to pick rare mushrooms at night, they're still going to detain you, maybe charge you, just because it's too coincidental that you're around. It's the unluckiest man in the world scenario: of all the people, you just happened to be the one found near drugs/weapons/dead person.
My two cents...
:joint:

Ajunta Pall

SomeGuy said:
Thats crazy! I didn't know that at all till I saw that. How in the hell can anything incriminating you say be held against you, yet anything else be considered hearsay?

Heresay laws are fucked up in the US. If you spied on two pigs who were planting evidence on someone, and you heard every word they said, you can not testify in court on what was said. They consider it heresay, because it was not said to you directly. Now if your bitch ass has a badge, the rules are different, of course.

Last edited:

maryjanesdad

I don't think I'm exaggerating when i say thats probably one of the most informative videos i have ever seen on the internet...thanks for sharing

ExEcutioner

goodmangigabyte said:
To play devil's advocate here, I would like to say that in your friend's situation, telling the police he was fishing probably didn't help him or hurt him.
Why? CAUSE HE WAS CAUGHT AT THE BEACH AT 3 AM NEAR (somewhat) A CRAPLOAD OF HASH.
I would wager that he was the only one nearby when the police found the hash, and they would have arrested him even if he didn't say anything. At least he gave a plausible reason for why he was out at the beach at that hour.
If he had been in his home 3 miles away sleeping of course it wouldn't even be an issue.
It's like if you're caught in the woods at night fifty yards away from a dead body. You're the only one around, your presence is at least suspicious, you could say nothing they'll still take you in. And whether you say nothing or tell them you like to pick rare mushrooms at night, they're still going to detain you, maybe charge you, just because it's too coincidental that you're around. It's the unluckiest man in the world scenario: of all the people, you just happened to be the one found near drugs/weapons/dead person.
My two cents...
:joint:
You missed the entire point.

The point is, he didn't talk to anybody UNTIL he was in court. That is the point of this.

Say nothing to the police when they try to question you.

cordobayumyum

Thanks for posting those links IGT, they were informative and hilarious. It's troublesome to me that police can, and do, lie with immunity.

The case of the mentally retarded fellow highlights the dangers that follow LEO's untruths, although I did find the example of the "apology letter" humorous. In the first season of The Wire a seemingly representative portrayal can be found of the ways LEO lie to extract a confession via an apology letter.

Latest posts

Latest posts