What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growth Rate Schedules

G

Hi everyone

There is nothing on this anywhere in the cannabis world so I thought i would remind everyone of the following:

Outdoor growers will experience 50% of the plants total growth in the next 50 days or so. If you are attempting to grow large plants, here is the schedule.

From transplant until July 1.
50% of growth is seen from transplant until the 1st of july. Whatever growth you see on July 1 should be doubled on Oct 1. If you do not see appropriate growth rates during the period between now and July 1, it will have a significant impact on yield. Observations of growth rates during the next 3 weeks is critical. If things arent progressing rapidly, fast acting nitrogen in maximum doses should be applied asap and until acceptable growth rates are seen. There is no making up the lack of acceptable growth over the next 45-60 days.

July
30% of the plants total growth will be seen from July 1 until the first week of Aug or so and rapid growth should be seen during the period. If they arent busting ass during july, you need to act and do so quickly. The fastest growth rate of the entire season is seen during july. The 2 primary factors in final size and yield are:
1. Growth rate prior to July 1
2. Growth rate during the month of July.

Stay after it. A little nitro burn is less detrimental to the plants eventual size and yield than is a lack of nitro during the first high growth stages. Pour it on if the need arises and in a hurry. Most of these growth and feed windows are only a week or so long and failing to act early will impact your final product.

**Just a word of caution on the nitrogen. Make sure and use water soluble, fast acting nitrogen and never timed released. YOu need results within 2-3 days. Further, too much nitrogen during the first weeks of august will delay flowering and reduce potency dramatically, so caution with the nitro after July 15 or so. You need to be aware and in front of this growth. 7/15 is too late.

80% of the plants overall growth is seen from transplant to the end of July. The remaining 20% is added at flowering.

If you want big or big yielding plants, the next 6 weeks are determinate. Don't delay in acting if she's not packing on the growth. Any delay in acting has a seriously detremental effect on size and yield.

Last edited:

SensiSufficient

hmm you bring up an interesting point silverback....though I usually wait till the taproot is like a quarter inch before i put them into the ground....dunno if thats considered too long.....havent really had any problems though im still waiting for 3x durbans to pop and 2x hollands hope.

Ulysses

Nice one, Silverback!

What is a fast acting organic water soluble nitrogen???

Will a high N guano get the job done in time?

green-genes77

Veteran
I have some babies outside that are dark, shiny green and are growing an inch a day already. My high-N bat guano has 10 percent N, half of that is water soluble and half not.

I find that the insoluble part breaks down totally in about 2 weeks when scratched into the soil surface and gradually watered in over that 2 week period. Cottonseed meal is like 6-2-1 and quite fast acting.

G

green-genes77, you hit the target. Although my current growth rate is only 1/2" per day, it should speed up to 1" per day by early June. You really nailed my bottom line as well in that if growers arent seeing those kind of rates right now, action should be taken immediately. Ive never seen the combo of guano and Ammonium, but youre right that water soluble is gone quickly. I recommend 8-10 day apps at least. More if she can handle it.

Ulyses, the best one on the market that I have found is Epsoma's Water soluable Ammonium Nitrate. It dissolves immediately in water and acts on the plant within 24 hrs of application. I like organics but this isn't the place for them in my view. If growth rates arent relatively aggressive or at least consistent then that needs to be addressed TODAY, with results seen tommorow. Bat guano is good stuff but won't respond at that speed or level. Epsoma's fast acting is the stuff.

Hi SensiSufficient. I wait for about 2-3 weeks after transplant, whenever that happens to be, before I add any ferts or anything. I let the roots take hold and see a little new growth before i start dosing them. Im at 38, but growers further north would have to adjust the schedule just a bit but the rates of1/2" - 1" per days should remain constant until July when rates can go as high as 6" per day for large strains.

I pay very close attention to the spring time and have for years. Last week, the sun reached an angle in the sky at my lattitude that solicits vigorous growth from plants. This phenomenon is moving north. I suspect it is at 40 degrees by now and moving to the north at 3-4 degrees per day. In the next 2 weeks or so, all growers to about 50 degrees should see the day when plants begin to express rapid growth.

Last edited:
G

I just wanted to drag this back up and report that due to plentiful rainfall, I am currently at 1" per day and when the sun finally pops out, they will exceed that rate.

Will have some pics soon.

dkmonk

Okay well i cant get to my plants but at most once a month for security reasons, and i dont want to haul 20 gallons of water to the spot (60 plus plants). So my question is what can i put out that will supply them with nitrogen. They are growing outdoors of course directly in the dirt.

Yeah, LOL! I usally have the opposite problem. Keeping them under control from getting to big. Lot's of tying down and super cropping.I started them a few weeks later this year just trying to save myself a little work. I wish I could just let them go but there is just not enough green vegetation in my area to blend them in with. I don't let any of my girls get over 4 ft. But they never give up trying. They like to keep me working week after week. They make it up to me in the end though. BF

G

Hi dkmonk. In a situation like yours, the best approach is to make sure you get your nitro in during soil ammendmends and hole preparation during later fall/ winter or at least early spring. The other option is to use a 3 month high nitrogen timed release and spread a ring around the plant getting heavier with the dose as you move away from the plant. 3 month really only last 3 weeks so double dose the outer edge of the ring of ferts so that when the roots reach out there in 4 weeks, there will be something there.

Hey HK.

Below Frigid, thats often my problem as well. I see so many photos of scrawny little plants with the bottom leaves missing that I thought I would start this thread. I cant look at those photos and not know that if the grower had taken action a couple of months ago, the outcome would be different. Now is the time for them to take action. It sounds to me like you made your arrangemnents in advance and things are growing great.

Heres hoping they jump!
sb

hamstring

Veteran
Nice thread Silverback we need to get you an Avatar

Silverback prepares his plot.

Its good to be the king

Who Me? I,m just looking for bigfoot and thats not my pot.

Keep up the good work Silverback!!! :wave: :wave:

Last edited:

Jon

SB,

I've got a BCBD Black plant that looks to be a sativa dominant phenotype. So it looks tall but not bushy compared to her sisters. Should I add more nitrogen so it bushes out?

Latest posts

Latest posts