What's new

2 outlets but no timer. Help!

T

TwinTurboGuy

I have 2 120v outlets each wired to a 20amp breaker in one room. Question is, I wanna run x4 1000 HPS lights, but how can I time them with 12/12 schedule with only the outlets? I only have 15 amp timers that can plug into outlets.

Any takers?

Y

yamaha_1fan

you are going to be pushing the limits of that circuit by running 2 1000W lamps.

Put 2 timers on each circuit or buy an intermatic WH40 which handles 40 amps.

I might suggest a little electrical upgrade such as a 30 amp 240 circuit

T

TwinTurboGuy

Would this work?

http://www.discount-hydro.com/productdisp.php?pid=72&navid=7

Say that I buy two of these and plug em in to each outlet. Then would I be able to use 4kw lights?

I've been looking at those 240v timers that hydro shops sell and they rate at 30amps with a 20amp breaker on the timer for 4x 240v ballasts: 240x20= 4800 watts (4 lights would be around 80% of the breaker's capacity) and another 10amp breaker on 120v for accessories.

I figured that the 2 wired 20amp 120v outlets would give me 2400 watts each. If I use 2 lights with a timer on one outlet, it would use 2000 watts giving me 400 to spare (also using 80% of the breaker's capacity).

I can just draw power for my fans and pumps from the other 15 amp breakers in the room.

Does this sound good?

Last edited:
Y

yamaha_1fan

You can use those timers but you are still going to be pushing the limits of your circuit.

A 1000W ballast pulls 8.3 amps in theory, so thats 16.6 amps for two ballasts. 80% is 16 amps. And that is theory. They may pull more. I have an amp meter, maybe tomorrow AM when my lights are on, I can meter one and tell you what mine pulls

In all honesty, if it were me I would just try it. Maybe a more experienced sparkie will respond but I think worse case is you trip some breakers

clowntown

Veteran
Those piece of shit plastic "heavy duty" timers are notorious for failing (melt, burn, or otherwise fail thermally/mechanically) on ONE 1k light, so let's not even talk about running 2 on there. If you want to try it, get a real mechanical timer such as the Intermatic's mentioned.

As yamaha_1fan says, you will be seriously pushing the limits by running two 1k's not to mention other accessories.

yamaha_1fan said:
In all honesty, if it were me I would just try it. Maybe a more experienced sparkie will respond but I think worse case is you trip some breakers
No disrespect, but I think it would be very foolish to try it. Worst case is far, far from tripping breakers because the breakers are not likely to trip as long as it's less than 100% of load. A typical or likely case would be: burning your house down, losing all your belongings, having the fire & police departments involved, people getting hurt, being charged for illegal cultivation, being charged for illegal cultivation w/ intent to sell/distribute, being charged for manslaughter (possibly murder II), and if in a rental, the likelihood of being sued for damages to property. That isn't the worst case scenario, though, as that can be much, much worse.

You guys ever read small little headlines about pot grows that get busted left and right from fires? I don't know an of the details on how the fires started, but I imagine they all resulted because of electrical things like this and not because the grower's fireplace shot out an ember and didn't have a fireplace screen in place.

If you wanna be a big boy and run a big show, I suggest you spend the time and money to do your homework and get the job done right rather than half-assing, cutting corners, and endangering yourself and others.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts