What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mycorrhizae & Coco

G

Guest 18340

Hi everybody, got a question for ya, Ihave a bag of Plant Sucess soluable Mycorrhizae and am wondering if its compatible with coco? It says "Plant Success soluable is a soil drench for porous soil".
So, what do you guys think? I water to waste so would i end up flushing out the fungus? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :joint:

Last edited:
S

Shan Diego

Just dissolve it in your nutes and water it in...yes you will lose some, but you always will. Don't sweat it.

G

Guest 18340

Being that i water to waste, and that i'll lose some, should i add it every time i water? Every other time? Once a week?

Kenny Lingus

You merely give it one time only once ;-)

:bashhead: there it should be clear :muahaha:

No, but seriously... The idea is that the fungi and bacteria and stuff will grow freely throughout the medium.

Only if you are unlucky and get the pots all dried out you could always re-inoculate them with a new batch dissolved in room tempered water, maybe add a little molasses/organic tea the first time...

But I don't even think that'll be needed. When the stuff is firstin the medium, I actually think you shall work hard getting it out without any disturbance to the plants it has gone symbiotic with.

It will probably be in the medium if first introduced to it. At least if there is live plant roots present or other food for them. (they'll probably just go dormant if it's not suited to flourish atm, and then re-flourish as soon as the environment is favorable again.)

Good, luck and keep us informed on results. (Keep some plants as control objects to see if there is any difference.

PS! I introduce soil and medium living bacteria/spores/etc by hand watering I don't not want them into my watering/feeding system unless made for anaerobic use.

Last edited:
Works in coco.

Coco does already has mycorrhizae so some debate on whether it is needed.

Since it isnt a rip off like An's tarantula is fairly cost effective to use.

I use the granular when transplanting

Then use the soluble 1x a month, up until the 2nd week of flower.

1x a month is a good amount to keep added mycos.

then feed with a carb source 1x a week: molasses, etc to keep them thriving

I have used in top drip to waste, but I prefer to mix in 10-20 gallons then hand water to each plants,

that way I dont get black sludge in my res.

G

Guest 18340

Kenny, yukino, Thanks for clearing that up for me, you guys are a great help!
I'm gonna try your idea kenny', i'm gonna do a side x side, one with mycorrhizae, one without. I'll document things and kepp you posted. Peace

Kenny Lingus

Great EVLME2!!!

It's so fine when we get to document the real effects of products in different set-ups and all.

Coco already has trichoderma mold inside its fibres from the natures side, but a few steamed/treated brands loose these and need to be infected again to have them present. (Does the bag say which strains of fungi it has?)

G

Guest 18340

Theirs a list of Ecto and Endo. The print is way too small and smudged but at the botom of the instruction sheet it says "Tricoderma koningii and Tricoderma harzianum".

Coco already has trichoderma mold inside its fibres from the natures side, but a few steamed/treated brands loose these and need to be infected again to have them present. (Does the bag say which strains of fungi it has?)

Kenny Good point!!

More tests with photos will rock.

I have tested with and without and I have seen a difference in growth.

I also noticed roots popping out the top of the pots.

From what I am learning, Certain Strains of tricoderma can also take over so its good to have a balance of microbial life

Glad that helped.

Dont want to hear you using it too much and throwing away your $$.

Kenny Lingus

Coll Yukino1 Me too see feeder roots searching the surface if the coco is moist enough for a period and not to brightly lit. I was so amazed first time I saw that!!!

PS! i SAW A NOTE SAYING THE KONINGII STRAIN OF TRICHO IS A GOOD ENZYME PRODUCER! sOUNDS LIKE A SPLENDID COMBO YOU'VE GOT THERE :laughing:

Last edited:

clowntown

Veteran
In a few weeks I'm going to run a side-by-side and demonstrate exactly what this product does (or doesn't do) in coco. I have the non-soluble granules. I will be mixing it into the medium, as well as sprinkling some in the transplant hole.

S

Shan Diego

clowntown said:
In a few weeks I'm going to run a side-by-side and demonstrate exactly what this product does (or doesn't do) in coco. I have the non-soluble granules. I will be mixing it into the medium, as well as sprinkling some in the transplant hole.

Thank you in advance! At last, a side-by-side! The community could benefit tremendously. Of course, mycos are a real savior in the event things run dry in the medium...preservation of plants that would be lost otherwise, but I am sure you will not be testing that, will you?

clowntown

Veteran
Thanks for taking interest. :wave:

To be honest I don't think I'll be doing any fancy tests, just some simple "what difference does it make?" type of comparisons. A group of plants with, and a group of plants without. The results should speak for themselves through pictures, I think, and at that time folks can decide if it's worth looking into, and for me to decide whether it's worth continuing.

For the most part I don't see the need to discontinue, since a bottle of granules that'll probably last me at least a several crops costs $8, but I'd still love to see what it does (or doesn't do) first-hand rather than just reading about it.

I've also got a few other unrelated side-by-side ideas lined up, including: root growth stimulators (e.g., Rhizotonic) which are extremely expensive vs SubCulture vs no-additive; bloom booster additives vs. ("6/9") Lucas formula; and a couple others, but first things first.

I will be running two 600w lights on a mover, on two 2x4 E/F tables housing 2 gallon square pots at the likely density of 10 plants per table (2 rows of 5 pots). I'm not sure if I can afford to get a brand new pair of identical bulbs for this test, so I'll have to split the tables up into quadrants instead and do a pinwheel pattern if I'm making any sense. Dunno, gotta set it all up later and get the clones ready.

See you guys then.

thc43

Veteran
i use a table spoon of Mycorrhizae under freshly rooted clones just as there planted into larger pots..As directed. seems todo as well as sprinkling through a coco mix before planting but effect isnt that noticed when roots are already healthy with abit of root booster (rhizotonic) already in the feed solution alittle fungi accross the surface late in flower might be noticed...

Last edited:

MedResearcher

Veteran
I just recently began using Mycorrhizae in my CoCo grows. Im using the granular type, just sprinkling it in the hole I make to transplant the plant or clone into.

So far it seems it has helped, the plants seem more healthy, I saw roots popping out of the top of the CoCo, and I have had zero nutrient problems. Not sure if I had zero nutrient disorders because I have got the grow more dialed in, or if the Mycorrhizae has helped out. It also seems that with a lower PPM I am getting better or equal results compared to a higher PPM with no Mycorrhizae; which is nice because there is less salt build up as well as saves some $$$$ on nutes.

On a sad note

Just after using the Mycorrhizae I have developed a root aphid infestation. Im not sure how the root aphids got into my room, im guessing either an Ant snuck them in or possible I got them from contaminated CoCo. While reading up on root aphids, I did learn that using Mycorrhizae can help promote a perfect environment for the root aphids to strive in. I guess if some of the Mycorrhizae dies off that was attached to a root, it makes a perfect empty space for the root aphids to infest and eat the roots.

Im still using the Mycorrhizae on my new cuts, im not blaming it for the aphids and I think it does help. So far I have kept the Aphids out of the veg/mother room. Heopfully after next harvest I can clean up the room and get rid of the CoCo, and not see anymore Aphids.

clowntown

Veteran
That's very interesting, MR. I'm having the same issues with root aphids. What do yours look like, and how large are they? Mine are VERY tiny, size of tip of a pin, smaller than a pinhead, and orange / tan colored and look like mites except none on foliage only in the medium. They especially crawl out to the surface a few seconds after watering, I suppose to get a gasp of breath.

G

Guest 18340

I had the same problem when i used coco without Mychorrhizae. Every time i watered, the little bastards would crawl to the surface. Mine were too tiny to see their color, i guess they looked grey.?.
I always thought they were baby knats. They seemed to have disappeared after a month. Anybody have a remedy? I know Gnatrol for knats but what about these "aphids"?
clowtown, I'd love to see a side x side with Mychorrhizae :lurk:

Last edited:

MedResearcher

Veteran
Hey ClownTown,

Ya mine are exactly how you described them. Tan to light orange, very small. You wont even see them unless you water or disturb the CoCo. Once you water or disturb them they come crawling out all over the top of the CoCo and around the rim of the pots. Never see them on foliage.

So far there damage has been minimal, the plants still look very healthy. I guess I wont know how they effected my yields until they are done, which will be a few more weeks.

Just wondering, this is the first time I have ever experienced these bugs, as well as the first time I used the Mychorrhizae; Is it the same with you, did they pop up after trying the Mychorrhizae in the CoCo ?

I have noticed, as well as was informed that they like wet conditions. So if you water less and let the CoCo dry out as much as you can it will slow there population growth.

I have tried a number of methods to kill them mostly with very minimal success.

Although I did see a handful in my veg/mother room, and since the pots in this room are small enough, I dunked the entire pot in close to boiling hot water for 3-5mins. I found this remedy on the net, there was a study done that stated dunking them for 4+ minutes will kill 96%+ of them. Since I dunked my veg room I havent seen 1 of them reapear.

Too bad my flowers are in large pots and grown into a SCROG so dunking them is not an option.

Last edited: