What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does heat kill mold spore?

G

Question:

Does the production method by Rick Simpson kill the mold Aspergillus?
It would seem that heating the oil for several hours at the end would kill it all.

His production is in this youtube segment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9NN98CuFGA

Infections from this mold kills organ transplant patients. Does this method provide a save method of canabis consumption?

P

pSi007

i think i read somewhere that spores can live for years in soil without growing. It is very tough to get rid of it. lets say water in this hash oil boils at 212, i`m not sure but i believe it can kill the spores. they say dont heat over 290f or so, i would assume a temp that high would sterilize but i`m not sure. here is some info on aspergillus.

In humans, the major forms of disease are:

1. Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis or ABPA (affects patients with symptoms that produce significant respiratory morbidity such as asthma, cystic fibrosis and sinusitis).
2. Acute invasive aspergillosis (risk increases if patient has weakened immunity such as some AIDS patients and those undergoing chemotherapy).
3. Disseminated invasive aspergillosis (widespread through body).

There is a section devoted to the needs of patients, friends and family suffering from the effects of Aspergillosis. Aspergillosis may affect patients whose immune system may be compromised - including those with Leukaemia, Chemotherapy patients or those on steroids, Transplant patients, Cystic fibrosis, HIV or AIDS, Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), Chronic granulomatous disease (CGD), Severe asthma with fungal sensitivity (SAFS) and many others.

Sources of increased risk include - dirty air conditioning units, compost heaps and damp or flood- damaged housing, all of which can yield higher numbers of aspergillus spores.
Aspergillus does not solely affect humans; birds and animals can also develop aspergillosis, and some plant diseases and food spoilage may be due to aspergillus infection.

Ascomycetes.jpg

this is very bad to have growing in a human body. Oddly, I believe the perfect temp for these fungus to grow is 98f. coincidence?

W

Whatever

That pic of those petri dishes is one of the sickest things I've ever seen online. Unfrikin believable.

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
I get the idea you have some moldy buds and ar your trying to "save" them.

Somehow it dosen't sound like a cleaning of the grow room,,,,,

If ya have moldy buds,,,,, - When I was younger I prolly would smoke them, nowdays I am older and somewhat wiser - and a far superior grower than I once was - with even farther to go to get good. - that said - alacahol wash - or better yet bubble bags is a far better bet than trying to remove toxins with heat. The heat is bad fort the THC and the plant - it can concentrait some toxins from spefific molds and mildews - and they all look alike to me. The deal with bubble bags is the toxins are water solubile and the spores and fungal matter are either larger or smaller than the trics - so it should be a BIG improvment.

Some molds are our friends - - some ain't.

My best advice - scrap the buds

G

pSi007 said:
i think i read somewhere that spores can live for years in soil without growing. It is very tough to get rid of it. lets say water in this hash oil boils at 212, i`m not sure but i believe it can kill the spores. they say dont heat over 290f or so, i would assume a temp that high would sterilize but i`m not sure. here is some info on aspergillus.

this is very bad to have growing in a human body. Oddly, I believe the perfect temp for these fungus to grow is 98f. coincidence?

Thanks Psi .. we're getting close now.

The only medical reason given for the person rejected from the liver transplant list was the possibility of becoming infected with this fungus.

I have a relitive that has had a liver transplant and is going through Hep-C treatment.

I went through the treatment and know first hand how much good pot did for me.

When I saw this warning about this fungus I decided I needed hard facts ASAP.

Amoung other things, he lives in the woods. Tall oak trees with lots of decaying natural rubbish on the ground. He loves to invite friends over for campfires.

I'm trying to find out if he needs a warning about smoke from these fires.

It seems to me that this fungus strikes through the lungs.

Growers here like to avoid fungus on their plants. Some of the risk of this fungus is lowered by working with a quality grow.

But that doesn't seem enough.

Seems to me that this preperation method reduces risk even more. Then the method of consumption ie eating instead of smoking, may eliminate the risk of infection entirely. From pot anyway ..

G

RockyMountainHi said:
I get the idea you have some moldy buds and ar your trying to "save" them.

No .. I'm concerned about the possible infection by a fungus for someone on imunosuppressent drugs from an organ transplant.

RockyMountainHi said:
that said - alacahol wash - or better yet bubble bags is a far better bet than trying to remove toxins with heat.

I'm not concerned about possible toxins. I'm concerned about live spores that could grow inside someones lungs.

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
Hi

i think they use UV treatments to remove dangerous fungus from weed in holland medical marijuana.
Just see on google that some UV C treatment can be done at home, don't know if it would be very efficient, but hope i'll help.

++

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Sell it for cheap and dont let your next harvest get moldy. We smoked moldy bud back in the day, it aint gon kill nobody.

G

GET MO said:
Sell it for cheap and dont let your next harvest get moldy. We smoked moldy bud back in the day, it aint gon kill nobody.

I don't have any to sell, smoke or anything else

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
oh...I watched most the video but I guess I missed that. If youre doing an Alcohol based extraction then actively reducing it down using heat, I would have no concerns with eating it. I dont have a compromised immune system though.

G

titoon29 said:
Hi

i think they use UV treatments to remove dangerous fungus from weed in holland medical marijuana.
Just see on google that some UV C treatment can be done at home, don't know if it would be very efficient, but hope i'll help.

++

Thank you .. interesting. If heat doesn't do the trick, I'll look into the UV.

P

pSi007

peanutbutter said:
No .. I'm concerned about the possible infection by a fungus for someone on imunosuppressent drugs from an organ transplant.

most forms of FDA approved companies and medications have made the list of sterile drugs. cannabis supporters should make it a duty to respect these regards of purification.

G

pSi007 said:
most forms of FDA approved companies and medications have made the list of sterile drugs. cannabis supporters should make it a duty to respect these regards of purification.

The FDA approves companies?

est1977

id personally toss it ,I had a friend a few years back get a serious lung infection and some more shit from smoking moldy buds don't do it.She was in the hospital for a month!!!!!!!!!!

G

est1977 said:
id personally toss it ,I had a friend a few years back get a serious lung infection and some more shit from smoking moldy buds don't do it.She was in the hospital for a month!!!!!!!!!!

How many times and ways do I have to say "I don't have any pot right now?"

I'm thinking about extra precautions for specific medical situations. Not about a specific batch of pot.

G

pSi007 said:

House bill 5842 would allow pharmicies to sell marijuana. That would seem to be a safer supply than the black market.

BTW the existing situation, supported by the FDA, forces people to use the black market for this medicine. This forces a situation where it is easy to be exposed to contaminated medicine. Why should I respect that?

Last edited:
G

est1977 said:
Moldy oil, bud or anything with mold in it besides cheese, is not your friend period!!!

Nor is decaying tree matter in a forest. I'm talking about trace amounts that you can't see or taste.

And who said anything about moldy oil?