What's new

Sub-panel DIY

PharmaCan

Veteran
I hate to give any electrical advice to those without the proper skills, beyond "Call an electrician." Electricity can be dangerous and can kill you! If you don't know anything about electricity, and/or if you have no experience with electrical installations, CALL AN ELECTRICIAN!!!

For those here that can work with wires and just need a few tips on the correct installation of a sub-panel, here's a brief DIY I put together while installing my new sub-panel last week.

With this installation, my sub-panel is on an inside wall of my garage, directly behind my main service on the exterior wall. If you want your sub-panel to be easily removable, mount a piece of plywood on the wall then mount your sub-panel on the plywood. Make sure that the panel is securely fastened to the wall. It should then look something like this. BTW - The panel is plumb - it's the photo that makes it look crooked.)

Here's a closer look at the wiring. Note the isolated neutral bar and the ground bar that was added. The ground bar usually has to be purchased separately, so save yourself an extra trip to the store and buy one when you get the other parts. The panel does have threaded holes and (usually) screws for mounting the ground bar.

This is a receptacle box, before the receptacle goes in. Note how the ground wire is attached to the box with the little green screw. Buy a small pack of those little green grounding screws and use them to properly ground your boxes. It only takes a few minutes longer to properly ground your system and it's well worth it from a safety standpoint.

This is what it looks like finished except for the cover plates and dead panel.

It only took about three hours to install everything and I now have six new 20 amp circuits in my garage. WooHoo!!!

On top of not feeling very verbose today, this work is very simple for me and I don't really know what kind of problems or questions an inexperienced person might have, so please ask any questions you might have and I'll be glad to help out as best I can.

PC

PharmaCan nice work!!!

Uncle FREEDOM I can think of lots of reasons to have a 20 amp circut in a garage. Shop tools for one, a welder, kiln and the list goes on and on. For that matter most bathroom circuts are 20 amp.

i was being facetious hehe

sorry not good at communicating dry humor in type..

lol

p.s. is it "cold" where you live??

LOL!

Last edited:
My bad just trying to help. I'm in Minnesota and some say it's cold here but I think it's just the right temp, wouldn't you argee? ;)

bayarea925

Hey thanks a few questions.

What does the other panel look like where you took the 4 lines from? how are they connected to the other panel? and what size wire is used? i know yours is just behind the other one. but what if you want to run it 50 feet away would that size wire be ok?

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey thanks a few questions.

What does the other panel look like where you took the 4 lines from? how are they connected to the other panel? and what size wire is used? i know yours is just behind the other one. but what if you want to run it 50 feet away would that size wire be ok?

before you start asking what size wire to pull, you need to calculate your loads.
what kinda setup are you looking to run?
watts?
a/c's?
pumps?
fans?
these things are kinda important so you can properly size your sub.

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
Is it OK (per code) to surface mount PVC like that?

Not unless it is protected from physical damage, i.e. in a framed wall or is identified for such use. Which means schedule 80 PVC. 2008 NEC 352.12(c).

EMT would have met those requirements, but I highly doubt an inspector will be checking this one out.

Nice clean work though, sloppy installs make me itch.

PharmaCan

Veteran
Clean install bro.
What all r you planning on running .
You've pricked my curiousity .
Crispi

Hey Crispi! I hope all is well with you!!!

Right now I have some cabs plugged in. I'm working on sectioning off a 10'x20' section of my garage to use for a growroom, but my back is so bad it's turning from a small construction job into a long, drawn-out project.

Not unless it is protected from physical damage, i.e. in a framed wall or is identified for such use. Which means schedule 80 PVC. 2008 NEC 352.12(c).

EMT would have met those requirements, but I highly doubt an inspector will be checking this one out.

Nice clean work though, sloppy installs make me itch.

Make you itch - ROFL.

But, yeah, the conduit is not up to code. Whenever I sell this house I'll either put in the right conduit or probably just remove the sub-panel. For now, I'm the only person that goes near my garage and I know better than to pound nails or drill holes through the pvc.

PC

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nothing wrong with the pvc inside.
the pvc itself protects the conductors from physical damage.

pharma, i wouldnt recommend a 100a sub on 6 awg wire.
especially being a grow would be considered a continuous load. (3+hrs of use)
i, personally, wouldnt go any lower than #3awg feeding a 100a sub.
but thats just me.

bay area,
15k @240v = around 68 amps.
but that is just lighting.
you gave no other info for any other appliances in the grow.
sounds to me like you need to hire an electrician.
it's obvious you dont know electric,
and i wouldnt fuck around wiring a 15k grow w/o experience.
just my :2cents:

Latest posts

Latest posts