What's new

Saibai vs. the monkeys

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
Edit: Well, the growing is offically over, with the harvest of the last plant to finish, the Zamal x Skunk Special. She is currently curing. I've written a coupla smoke/grow reports, if you are after pics first and foremost, click the "filter" button to see only my posts. Thanks to everyone for the support/encouragement. 2008 growing has finished and 2008/9 smoking has begun. :D

*****POSTED SOME NUG PICS ON PAGE 34*****

So, without further ado, lets see the post that started it all:

I have monkeys on my mountain.
I also have wild boar, deer, weasels and other beasts. I`m only really worried about the monkeys, as they`ll be able to access my site, and they have been stealing vegetables from my nearby patch.
Does anyone know if monkeys are attracted to weed? If so, any ideas how to deter them?

If I catch one in the act, it's on. :muahaha: I've always wanted to fight a monkey. :headbange

I somehow doubt this pathetic experiment will stop one:

It'd be funny if my harvest wasn't at stake. :redface:

Last edited:

dkmonk

This may be a little to obvious but put a bunch of banana trees on the opposite side of your grow or a trail of bananas away from your plants.

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
dkmonk said:
This may be a little to obvious but put a bunch of banana trees on the opposite side of your grow or a trail of bananas away from your plants.

Classic :biglaugh:

Mr Celsius

Veteran
Monkeys are like humans... so think about how to deter humans.

My parts, we have poison oak, stinging nettles & blackberry bushes... I have no idea where you are, since you have monkeys :biglaugh: sorry, I think its hilarious... I know its not funny to you, so again, I'm sorry.

Do you have any plants that would harm them slightly? I would pay money to see a money climb into the middle of a blackberry patch.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
The species of monkey in my swamp have never touched any of my grows despite noisy troops of them sitting on trees overlooking my plots, probably wondering whats up with the funny burning smell that often lingers around me while I tend the crop.

In my neck of the woods I am more concerned about surprising a snake and having it strike, than I am about any potential stoner monkeys. A few days ago I had to shoot a green mamba which decided to take up long-term residence in the hollow a tree that overhangs my canoe route. That species of serpent carries one of the most toxic venoms on earth, yet will ALWAYS flee at the sight or sound of a human. Still and all though, I did not like the idea of one peering down at me every day I paddled past on the way to the grow.

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
Dkmonk: lol @ the banana idea. heheh. That might attract them tho.

Mr Celsius: Actually, it's pretty funny to me too. :) I swing from laughing about it to worrying about it.

Swamp thang: That`s good to hear.
I`m glad I`m not trying to grow in the bush in Australia anymore, theres like 7 or 8 of the top ten deadliest snakes in the world there. Mambas are bad news tho. Theres the small chance of a little viper here, but, meh. Kind of hard to be impressed after living oz.

If only I could train the monkeys to gaurd my crop...*rubs chin and stares into the distance*

ThaiMeUp

Saibai,

I don't think monkeys are initially attracted to weed, as its really not a food source. There are so many other more attractive things they can munch on. However, they might sample it and decide they like it, lol! Or they might just like to tear things up for the hell of it, dunno.

I've never had any monkey problems over here. Actually nothing except grasshoppers, they seem to like the leaves. I would worry more about rabbits I think.

Maybe try a small "sacrifice" grow first. See how they go for it.

Mr Celsius

Veteran
If only I could train the monkeys to gaurd my crop...*rubs chin and stares into the distance*

That would be awesome

Train em like this:
9436_0052.jpg

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Monkeys?? We need a "Protecting your plots from Monkeys" thread. Where abouts are you? SE Asia??

green-genes77

Veteran
I might be worried about them making nests out of the oh-so-strong fiber, but they probably wouldn't munch on it. Do you have access to predator urine? This can act to deter plant lovers.
The google tells me that farmers battling monkeys for the crop have few peaceful means by which to emerge victorious. Chickenwire cages could work, or they just might provoke their natural curiosity.

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
BACKCOUNTRY: I`m deep in the countryside of Japan. :D btw, thanks for all the info you`ve posted up here. It`s a real help. k++

tbh, I`m probably going to have more problems from insects. I don`t think the wild pigs and deer can get to my plants.

I prefer all natural methods, so I`ve got big bags of hair from the local barbers, a garlic/chilli solution to spray for the insects (will also put the used garlic + chilli around the site) and will be getting some neem oil. I also urinate around there every time I visit. I really want to avoid having to set up chickenwire etc. as theres too many plants and I really don`t have a lot of free time.

Luckily I don`t have any human predators to worry about.

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Yeah, Japan actually crossed my mind when I was guessing a region. I've always been awestruck by the pictures from Japan of monkeys sitting in warm springs relaxing while it snows(Monkey hot tub). Plus your name sound Japanese.

Fighting off regular animals is one thing, but fighting off a animal with a brain nearly as powerfull as a humans, and also has opposable thumbs? Man, thats a challenge!
I guess you should first see if they really want to attack your plants, and if they do, I'd build a pretty solid wire cage around each plant, reenforced with a soild frame.
What else could you do but murder monkies?? Is that the right way to spell the plural of monkey??

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
BACKCOUNTRY: Yeah, my name means "cultivation" in Japanese. I put out a test plant last Sunday (4/20) to...test. lol.
Checked on it Tuesday, looked like it was loving the mix I filled the holes with - soil, perlite, some lime, peat moss, some organic ferts...something else? I forget. :)

I think I might actually make this my 2008 grow diary thread. Only trouble is, I have to take pics with my phone, then send them to my email address, costing me $ every time...

^^^NOT my grow...:rasta:

green-genes77

Veteran
Do you have to worry about aerial observation, like from helicopters during harvest time, or do the authorities not bother?

Nice patch, whomever it belongs to. Is it hemp?

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
Nah, the eye in the sky is not a prob. for me.

Yep, that`s hemp, being grown legally. You can get a licence to grow hemp (with a lot of difficulty) for fibre here, but I think that one's for religious reasons...the emperor's new clothes, as it were, and the annual hemp harvest festival. You can read more at taima.org.

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Hey cool! I am dealing with the aussie snakes at the moment. Had so many close calls and the bastards get so agro at the moment! I really had to re-evaluate if growing was worth the risk. The police are not even a blip on my worry radar compared to taipans.

But monkeys sure sound annoying too. The best idea I can come up with is an electric fence? Sure, it sounds like a crazy idea perhaps. I didn't think it would be possible at first, but Wallyduck (and probably others) on these forums has one set up for his awesome patch using solar panels, so it's definitely do-able. :yes:

Murphy

If all else fails, spank that monkey! ......somebody had to cross that line.

There is a thread in the Aussie section about battling "roos", maybe there are some ideas for you there. I thought the thread was a joke at first but, they were taliking about what they all do to deter them. Good Luck.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
SaiBai Please don't tell us that is the first monkey casualty of the Japanese Bud War curled up in that bag, destined to be stuffed as a trophy.

Wait ! Hold your fire. I have a better idea. Try dressing up in a realistic monkey suit when you visit the plot next, and then, when you are sure they are again gathered and observing you, pick a bud, throw it in your mouth, and suddenly fall to the ground coughing and pretending to writhe in agony. That spectacle ought to make them keep a safe distance from the crop, unless of course they turn out to be masochist monkeys, in which case all bets are off.

Latest posts

Latest posts