What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

FAILURE: The Dreaded "Path"

G

...after soil, weather and strain selection, is the number 1 reason for outdoor crop loss. In most instances, we have led the rippers, the law, the ravenous deer or the occassional hiker right up to our wonderful plants.

A small discrete path started in May will look like someone drove a truck through the area by the end of september. I have spent years trying to find ways to avoid path making and its a very difficult endeavor. Going different routes only exacerbates the problem. Instead of 1 truck, it looks like a fleet drove through the area. Choppers full of law watch for these paths from above.

All creatures, including humans, will take the path of least resistance and if you make a path, all will want to follow. Why bust through the brush when someone has already created this wonderful path? If rippers have any clue as to the area you grow in, alls they have to do is show up and start following paths in the area. They'll hit the right one sooner or later.

I visit my plants 1 x every 10 days or so when they are small and every 3 weeks or so after they've become established. I always go after storms as a storm can lean the plant or cover it with other weeds and not making that adjustment can be significant come harvest time. But even with limited trips, the paths still exists.

1. Even though I cant really avoid the path, I can deter people or deer from taking it. I always try and block any path with small scrub trees ive cut and then make an opening under them that requires one to crawl if one intends to continue on the path. I then plant one of the native thorny vines we have here next to it and by July, the thing is entangled in a mesh of thorny vines that are almost inpenetrable. From that blocked point, I establish a second easy course path away from the direction of the plants. The intruder will instinctively prefer the easy path to the thorn covered crawl.

In thorn or blackberry groves, I will tie the tops of the thorny canes together during the winter, creating a tunnel below. In the summer, looking over the top of the vegetation doesn't reveal the access tunnel underneath the thorns and vines. Watch out for snakebites to the face when crawling especially in the dark if snakes live in your area.

2. For those like me that are not allergic to poison Ivy, this plant can be used as a deterent for humans. I have 4 cuttings of PI in my grow room as we speak, ready to be transplanted to around one of my grows. Even if the rippers find it, they are easily identified as the swollen
and welted bastards that live down the road.

Stinging nettles are easily spread if they are native to your area. Anyone with knowlege of outdoors will take a wide path around these plants and those who are unfamilar will become familar very quickly upon contact. You can wear long sleeves.

3. Ive had some luck with distractions. I have a grow area that when you follow the approach path, just as you are getting close, I have nailed 5 deer skulls and antlers to the tree in the opposite direction of the plants.. ( you can find these easily) There is a natural tendency when getting close to notice the unusual site and move toward it, and away from the plants. I then make a path from that point away from the plants because of the natural tendency to take the path of least resistence.

Psychology, blocking and crawling, vines and thorns, poisonous plants and distractions have been some attempts Ive made.

Im hoping someone will have others

Whats your strategy for avoiding this critical problem?

Last edited:

tokinjoe

Again another practical and useful post SB. Anyone that leaves a path to their plant or plants is definitely asking for them to get ripped and is a common mistake. I once read a post here a few years ago and the guy was saying he knew someone that used to ride in a chopper that looked for MJ. He stated that from the air they looked for the "lollipop signature". Path to the plant is the stick, the path around the plant is the candy part. The best way to avoid this is to take a different route to your plants every time if possible. Another idea I've used is to use a high nitrogen fert such as 34-0-0 on your path. This works very well in the bottom area I've mentioned as there is a lot of lush growth and the nitrogen promotes a LOT of growth on what otherwise may be a "path". Any crimped or downtrodden greenery grows back quickly providing there is ample rain to melt or dissolve the ferts. This also works extremely well if using 20 gallon pots or other large containers. I put them into brushy areas and fert around them and it really encourages weed growth around the pot and makes the camo job a LOT easier. I trim them as necessary so they don't outgrow the MJ and shade it. Peace and good luck.

Ulysses

All go info... The only grow I had found was due to the dreaded PATH. Fortunately, there were only seeded lower branches left... But, that spot was to be never used again...

I get cheap Osmocote and scatter it widely in the area. I transplant native weeds to the area. I plant garlic on the path. I divert the growth pattern of thorn bushes with stakes and branches. I fertilize the thorn bushes with Rosetone and it grows a wall of thorns like hypodermic needles staying green long enough for a sativa grow. I knock off the thorns to the entrance with a stick- leaving the leaves... I know where to grab 'the door'.

Also, I use chunky perlite, I love the stuff, swear by it and at it, because it glows brite white. Don't leave a trail of perlite or vermiculite to the grow. Mix the perlite with EWC first to get the chunks dark and dirty... Get the cheapest damn mulch they got- like last years leftovers- and mulch well and wide...

Good Growing

two heads

Veteran
Well put silverback. The only rip we ever suffered was the result of poor path protection.

I agree that taking a different route each time only creates more paths. The best approach is to take the same route but make it difficult to follow. We grow in swamps and hiding the entry/exit is the most important thing to consider. We enter in a poison ivy patch at two sites and try to use fallen logs and deep water to hide our path. Fallen logs and 'stepping stones' work well in the bush as well. We also drop dead trees across our 'path' to obscure it and deter followers.

Rippers are, by definition, lazy (too lazy to grow their own), so anything that makes their task difficult helps deter them. I love your idea of distractions - shiny baubles to distract the simple-minded!

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
I'd say the #1 reason for crop loss is actually telling people who don't need to know about your plot.,......

Well my #1 loss has always been friggin' animals chewing on my plants :mad: but to stay on topic , pay close attention to how you walk to minimize the trail in the first place .

walk slow , take long steps placing one foot inline with the other to create as narrow a path as possible, use your hands and feet to push vegetation aside (instead of just stepping on it and pushing it down) and pull that vegetation back as you pass .

little j

this is a good thread. one thing i really like is the distraction method sb mentioned. if you grow in a forest that sees hikers throughout the year, plant on curves in the path. inside the curve. as a person is walking down the path their eyes are usually forward. dahhh. yes as they approach they are facing your plant but still a distance away. as they approach, they, and their eyes turn away to follow the path. i grow with this in mind. this works even better on upward slopes. people look downward when climbing an incline. i grow most my plants in obvious locations. my biggest tree was grown less than 20 yds from a major hiking path at the beginning of the trail. yes i had tall brush as back cover and yes i only have one plant per spot. by planting in "higher"traffic areas the deer dont go there. watering was my biggest concern. i needed a buddy to watch the trail so i could go in and water. many times i have had to pull out my roll of tp to pretend a crap had just occurred and that also makes people look away real fast.ha ha. of course i grow in hard to reach places also but deer get to be a problem then.
one more spot i have used. wide open fields that have a rock pile with some brush growing. even just 1 tall tree/bush only 4 to 5 foot tall is a normal thing to see and doesn't get a 2nd glance. night watering for them. get dropped off on the road, water and back to the road for pickup by friend. works great. this is the hide in plain site method. thanks. little j

acidfire

My plots are surrounded by a field of stinging nettles, and then a wall of devils clubs. :muahaha:
Even the leaves on this thing are evil!

Apparently this plants spreads underground or sprouts from seeds that have been eaten and digested by animals making it difficult to scatter these plants around.

4095devils_club1.jpg
4095devils_club2.jpg

4095devils_club3.jpg

4095devils_club4.jpg

4095devils_club5.jpg

You're lucky that you aren't allergic to poison oak/ivy. I most definitely am... but I plant in it anyways. The path through the PO is hard to see, and thick on both sides. I would be avoiding that area like the plague if I didn't have a damn good reason to be in there.

My path minimizing method is just about the opposite of trichburners... take big wide steps so there is no line that you are traveling in, only individual steps. Make sure to step over the grass/ plants rather than dragging your feet through them. This looks a bit awkward, and is sort of difficult for long trips... so I just do it in the most crucial areas.

Great thread Sliverback. Keep up the good work! :rasta:

Groucho

Most people are lazy. the path of least resistance will most always be taken.
Rock ledges, overgrown creeks, dense bush any "blocked" areas most will go around. get wet, crawl on the ground, climb, whatever it takes.

two heads

Veteran
Trancerdancer - I'm also very allergic to poison ivy, ever since a nasty mountain bike wipeout into the stuff many years ago. The trick, as you may already know, is to wash thoroughly with soapy water (or better yet, rubbing alcohol) as soon as possible after exposure. I find if I can get the oils off my skin within a couple of hours I don't get a reaction.

Actually poison ivy isn't a great deterrent for a few reasons. Most people don't react to casual exposure and even if they do, the itching doesn't start for a few hours. Most people don't even know what it looks like. Something that works right away, like nettle or those evil Devil's Clubs at acidfire's site probably works better at deterring rippers. Every little effort helps though.

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
personally, i follow the game trails for the most part. theres so many paths everywhere through the bush where i am. i can usually follow one for a ways then jump onto another one. i just try to venture away from them when i find a good area for a plot.

also i try to stick to the rocky outcroppings. growing the the canadian sheild, there lots. leaves no sign that anyone has every been around. unless maybe of course your "Mantracker" anybody ever watch that show?

Great topic!
I also have lots of game paths that i use for getting to my spots,
and after reading the psychology of deterants:)
I thought of somthing couldn't you distract the deer away from your plants by hanging say....scents? or somthin in the other direction?
I don't know if their that easily distracted. :confused:
My biggest solution to the dreaded path is to snowshoe in during winter w/ heavy stuff soil and such. Then i just try not to carry too much water at once as it makes your tracks more apprent when your 50pds heavier walkin from the stream,
like i'm not a heavy enough anyway:) JS

two heads said:
Trancerdancer - I'm also very allergic to poison ivy, ever since a nasty mountain bike wipeout into the stuff many years ago. The trick, as you may already know, is to wash thoroughly with soapy water (or better yet, rubbing alcohol) as soon as possible after exposure. I find if I can get the oils off my skin within a couple of hours I don't get a reaction.

Actually poison ivy isn't a great deterrent for a few reasons. Most people don't react to casual exposure and even if they do, the itching doesn't start for a few hours. Most people don't even know what it looks like. Something that works right away, like nettle or those evil Devil's Clubs at acidfire's site probably works better at deterring rippers. Every little effort helps though.

Yeah washing helps a good bit... I think I may be getting a resistance also, used to get it real bad now only very mild cases.

I guess it depends on your unique situation but the specific spot I'm referring to where I'm using Poison Oak is a bramble and poison oak pit basically. It's thick with 7 ft poison oak bushes... anybody who has a clue what it looks like is not going to attempt to climb into the belly of the beast :muahaha:

Nettles are ideal though... instant consequences for coming near.

G

Hi everyone,

As usual, there are lots of good ideas that I hadnt thought of. Its great to be able to come here and get ideas from other growers.

TokinJoe, I use the urea for small pines, cedars and honeysuckles in the area but I hadn't considered using it on the path. Very good idea and one Im taking note of.

Ulysses, I find crops every year while looking for new sites. As soon as I see a path then........

Thanks HK. Good to see you

two heads, joe said he takes different paths as well. This hasn't worked for me. I have trouble hiding one entrance path, ive always felt to add more would only compound the problem, but hey, if its working for ya, keep on keepin on.

Hi Backcountry. Truer words have never been spoken, and its the first rule of OD growing.. What can be worse than loosing the grow is the fact that you're going to loose the friend as well. The satement...."the only other person that knew about it was.....". , comes up pretty quick and shortly after that, the partner gets blamed. Ive seen more good friendships ended this way. I havent read the sticky for new growers but if that isnt the first line there's been an oversight. Never a good idea.

Hey Mr. C. I would rather have 1 plant that yields 2lbs than 16 tiny plants as tending requirements are reduced by 16X. However, im comming around to your way of thinking and theres no question that your approach has promise for me when modified to meet my needs. The wheels are turning.

Trancerdance, ive tried tiptoeing, jumping, swinging from vines and everything else. By Oct 1, my delicate path looks like you drove a herd of buffalo through the area. The first part of the year when everythings growing - no problems. Its at the end of th run when natural plants are dying back that Im fighting. With the poison ivy, I found out the hard way that you have to be careful if you get it on you. While I may not be allergic, i can carry the oil on my clothes to someone that is. Poiso Oak is a good plant to use as well.

bongusauras, I used to use game trails but I stopped under the belief that it would be more difficult to deter established behavior in the deer. I do use existing game paths to get to my path however. Havent seen Mantracker.

Hey jocksmokes. Yes, carrying water can be the culprit and yes, winter stocking is crucial to eliminating spring and summer trips. Get your mulch and everything else there when pathmaking is not an issue, this only leaves minimul maintanance trips. Has everyone seen the new 15 gallon, slow release water rings that are being sold in home improvement stores and garden centers?

Another thing that i often try is to follow a line of bushes just underneath the overhang of the bushes. Vegetation isnt growing rhere any way, but it does require crawling. Ive spent half of my life crawling around in the bushes trying to grow pot. Its nice to talk to others doing the same thing.

sb

Last edited:

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Groucho said:
Most people are lazy. the path of least resistance will most always be taken.
Rock ledges, overgrown creeks, dense bush any "blocked" areas most will go around. get wet, crawl on the ground, climb, whatever it takes.

Top marks Groucho !

People are really lazy and scared of getting scratched. As the OP so rightly says, tunnels are great, nobody wants to go grovelling around in the dirt getting scratched and bitten.

In the UK I tunnelled in to blackberry thickets in old bike leathers and never lost a thing. New bike leathers are not so great, many have Kevlar stretch patches in the groin, great for moving around on the bike, less so when growing as you end up spending "happy evenings" pulling 10001 thorns from your groin....although this may be a great bonus for some S&M fans...

Here in Spain, the drought is the problem, anywhere you walk from May onwards will die, leaving a very obvious path and this is a country with a serious plant robbing culture.... I got round this last year successfully by hiding a black hose in the bushes by the path to carry the water the last 10M, this worked fine, bar some scabby critter who bit through a 4mm hose for a fresh drink. Carrying water doubles the damage you do walking through countryside, if you use the hose you eliminate this, and are a lot more agile and can use more hidden means of approach - jumping, climbing, crawling - without the 50KG of H2O.

Great thread Silverback !

G

Thanks chaosCatalunya, and Groucho is right. People always take the easy path and like him, I try to provide it for them. Its harder for you guys in dry country. With no rain to help keep the path green, it gets wide and brown.

Hey Groucho.

little j, youre right about growing right in the middle of it. Ive harvested 1 big 2lb plant every year for the past 5 years from a sink hole on a golf course. People play around this 10 footer all summer long. I guess they are playing golf and talking to their buds- not looking for weed.

Acidfire, thats the stuff man. It will set you on fire and it don't wipe off. Those hair like needles get into your skin and for the next 30 minutes, misery is yours and you will no the definition of discomfort. Once touched, the victim no longer looks for anything other than relief.

Last edited:

Groucho

I like spots where most people say to themselves, who in there right mind would ever go there. why? it seems crazy. and most likely is, but all things worth while take some effort. Blood, sweat, tears. all in a days work. Reap what you sow!

LazLo

In addition to the "dreaded path", there are other giveaways. My favorite is the freshly cut stumps at this time of year. A little matte black spray paint and, BINGO, :eek: they blend in.

In the primary oak forest I grow in, there are no thorny bushes, no stinging nettles, no poison ivy and not even any buckthorn. It was created by the CCC and most invasive species were eradicated over 70 years ago. :cuss:

But.....there are deer, at least 1 per square acre. And there are over 300 acres. No predators. These woods ajoin more of the CCC forest projects with thousands more acres spread over several communities. The deer browse the woods and come into the towns for "desert." Arborvitae in winter and everything else all summer.

The only good thing the deer provide are paths. Their trails are visible on Google Earth. With leaf litter, dead wood and grassy mounds I manage to leave few, if any, discernible footprints. By late summer the deer paths are dry and OK to use even with the added weight of water (8 lbs per gal).

This was the harshest winter for the deer in my area for over 2 decades. Found 3 furred skeletons so far this year within just 10 acres. One was a 6 point buck (whitetail). Even so, I will be using deer netting at my sites. Black and almost invisible. And it works! A 7' X 100' roll for $15 US will surround four 8' square sites. Five plants per square. Just don't forget a way for you to get in.

Latest posts

Latest posts