What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How long is my pollen viable?

G

:rasta: IM ATTEMPTING TO BREED SOME OF MY USUAL VARIETIES BUT HOW LONG WILL THE POLLEN STAY VIABLE? HOW LONG CAN IT BE STORED IN FREEZER? :redface:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you want to store it long term you must remove the moisture from the pollen with desiccant. Then I'd recommend vacuum packing it in a glass jar and sticking that in the freezer.

I used that method to store pollen last may (2007).

I just pulled some of the pollen out a couple weeks ago (10 months old at that point) and used it to successfully pollinate a female plant in my cab. Seeds are visibly forming right now.

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
and if you dont use any form of desiccant you may see mold in as little as a few days especially if you keep it trapped in a small atmosphere.

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
I just used some Kodiak Gold pollen that I've had for about a year. I'll find out soon if it was still viable. I'm hoping. I used the freezer method storing it with rice to keep moisture from making it non-viable.

How long into flowering for a male can the pollen be harvested? Is it right before the nanners are about to burst open?

OldPath

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
OldPathBluSky said:
How long into flowering for a male can the pollen be harvested? Is it right before the nanners are about to burst open?

OldPath

It's normally 2-3 weeks after you flip to bloom before the pod's start to open but some can drop pollen earlier and can be harvested for months after as well.

badmf

Saw this thread; and I have some pollen 5 yes Five years old kept in the freezer. It's week two so I will spread some love on lower branches in a couple weeks and if luck holds well you know the rest.. I'll get back in a few..

S

Scoobs

I can't keep pollen viable for more than a few months.

5 years would be amazing.

bakelite

OldPathBluSky said:

OldPath

I know this post is a bit old. I have found that when males are cut back (i.e. topped just before a node) they will generate new shoots with flowers for a while. You can also stick cuttings of males with flowers in a glass of water and they will continue to drop pollen for a week or so as well. Just keep them under 12/12 and you'll be all set.
-bakelite

KingDub

glad i read this thread. i just chopped down my Purple Kush male and all i did was store the pollen by itself in the freezer.. hopefully i fixed it in time.. i knew i should of took a clone of my male... you live a learn. thats one thing i learned is to keep clones of everything! and marked to!! clones in a humidity dome if kept moise will only grow a couple inches and stay at that height for a long long time. i had some clones that are about a year long.. i kept trimming the roots under them but probably didnt even need it done.

GrassRoots

bakelite said:
You can also stick cuttings of males with flowers in a glass of water and they will continue to drop pollen for a week or so as well. Just keep them under 12/12 and you'll be all set.
-bakelite

I found that the photoperiod is not important with this method nor is the intensity of the light. I cut a few male branches off about 4 days ago when I killed the male plant they were attached to and as of yesterday they started dropping pollen. I have kept them in my laundry room with the light in there just left on, it is just a 20 watt cfl and the cup and cuttings are sitting on my washer a good 4-5 feet away.

Pirate

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death !!
Veteran
badmf said:
Saw this thread; and I have some pollen 5 yes Five years old kept in the freezer. It's week two so I will spread some love on lower branches in a couple weeks and if luck holds well you know the rest.. I'll get back in a few..

Results ???

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
You can use rice or the small packs of silica gel you get in some goods,all you do is place the rice/silica packs in with the pollen after you've let it sit out in a dry atmosphere so it loses most of the moisture then add flour to the pollen then the rice/silica then freeze.

VirginHarvester

Veteran
marijuanamat said:
You can use rice or the small packs of silica gel you get in some goods,all you do is place the rice/silica packs in with the pollen after you've let it sit out in a dry atmosphere so it loses most of the moisture then add flour to the pollen then the rice/silica then freeze.
Ok, so you're mixing this stuff in with the pollen itself, that is for instance the pollen gets covered in flower?

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
Yes i mix in the flour so i've got around a 50/50 mix and i've found it makes the pollen go along way compared to pollen on its own.