What's new

Pumping scrubbed air outside... need some advice!

Macster2

chimney is good unless the air is still hot,inwhich case it may show up on flir (if your worried about it

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
How are you going to cool your room? Let me know this then I can give you some advice.

TGT

Pig-Pen

Doesn't get any better than a chimney.

Does your exhaust still smell after going through 120lbs (!) of carbon?

nano

The only thing is if you're exhausting out the chimney in the middle of the summer, like guest said, it will show on flir

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
nano said:
The only thing is if you're exhausting out the chimney in the middle of the summer, like guest said, it will show on flir

That chimney exhaust could be your hot water heaters exhaust for all they know. I don't think they would be able to distinguish it from normal house hold nessesities. And like stated above, they need a warrant to use it. This isn't to say they won't use it and I am sure they will, but it won't be able to be used against you for a warrant. I would be more concerned with garbage raiding and other things such as fogged windows ect.

TGT

FRANKENBLUNT420

me blunt is like, wicked yo!! owight
i think youll be ok with it goin out the chimney, but what the hell is "FLIR"? ive never heard of that term used in any aspect of growing.

G

Those types of can fans are designed to clean the air in the room continuously. It would be a good idea to vent one, but leave another scrubbing the room air constantly. Also - venting with an ozone generator attached helps kill even the stinkiest stank.

Stealthy

FLIR = Forward Looking InfraRed (reads heat signatures emitted from objects).

Chimney is perfect for venting. If you smell nothing outside then your as stealth as you can be.

Tip #1: If heat is not a problem, run your lights during the day. They can't/don't use FLIR during the day as the heat signatures aren't as dicernable because of the suns reflective heat.

Tip #2: DEA, Local and state police STILL USE FLIR to locate grow houses. They cannot use that information to get a warrant but they will use it to start their own investigation. At that point your ass is as good as busted....

They were searching for suspect X w/ FLIR when they came across this "anomaly". "It may be worth investigating" says officer pig...IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME!!!

Last edited:

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I remember reading somewhere that ozone decreases the life of a carbon filter. I don't know if this is true but that is what I remember reading. I think it could have been here on ICMag, but i'm note sure. The thread started off by stating you could recharge your carbon with ozone, and then someone chimed in to say it would lessen the life of the scrubber and had some science to back it up. Anyone rmember?

TGT

G

TGT said:
I remember reading somewhere that ozone decreases the life of a carbon filter. I don't know if this is true but that is what I remember reading. I think it could have been here on ICMag, but i'm note sure. The thread started off by stating you could recharge your carbon with ozone, and then someone chimed in to say it would lessen the life of the scrubber and had some science to back it up. Anyone rmember?

TGT
You should put the ozone generator AFTER the carbon filter... as for the rest I don't know...

GirthDogg

I could be mistaken, but I've always heard that if you use an ozone generator that it needs to be installed in an air box or setup that will allow exiting air a few moments to re-circulate and mingle with the ozone molecules before being exhausted to completely kill the smell.
I've also heard that if you have too much ozone exiting your house it can/does have a unique smell that will be a giveaway to the leo's that a grow is nearby. I haven't used one before so if anyone out there has one in use, I would love to hear some reviews on it...

Last edited:
G

I don't know that the recirculating ozone thing is necessary. I know that can fans are designed to clean, not vent. The ozone does have a very unique smell, but it dissipates a few inches from the exhaust. If leo is close enough to smell your dryer duct, he is too close period...

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
If you have a proper size can fan/carbon scrubbr, or one size larger like I usualy get you should not have to add any ozone. They do the job and they do it very well. I find ozone generators are only good for smaller grows or the room outside a grow. They do work well, but they also have a unique smell that someone educated can pick out fairly easily. If I walked into a home or by a house and smelled Ozone I would only be thinking one thing, well if it stormed recently then I might be fooled.

TGT

GirthDogg

Strainwhore, I've never had to use the ozone generator (as mentioned) of course b/c the carbon scrubbers work just fine, but I'm still curious about the recirculating air idea. If ozone reacts with particles in the air to oxidize them then wouldn't it be more effective to have an area that holds air in the vicinity of the generator so the ozone can have a second to do it's work before being expelled. If I just hook up the ozone generator in my ducting in-line I'm thinking the ozone generated would only oxidize part of my exiting odor because the air would be moving very fast through it by way of a blower pumping out anywhere from 600-1000 cfm.
Just curious really. I've always toyed with the idea of getting one, but I'd like to hear from those who use them first...