What's new

Anyone got mushrooms poppin up in coco? Not the good kind either

G

Well FUC,

I have little yellow mushies popping up in my pots. I used Bio Canna coco and had some little yellow fungus mushrooms pop up.

Anyone else experience this?

Is it bad?

How do I get rid of it?

Sabbath_666

mushrooms

mushrooms

I would love to see them if you have a camera. do they have a "cap" and "Gills" or do they look different than the traditional mushroom. It should not be harmful but it would be hard to know without knowing what species it is. Most mushrooms are not parasitic, they merely colonize after trees are dead.

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
i had this happen to me b4, ur watering to much. the coco is staying to moist an never drying up. mushrooms love wet mediums. so just let ur coco dry up b4 u water again

Last edited:

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Definitely sounds like overwatering. Do you have mushies growing on the flowering ones or the vegative ones? Mushroom fruiting and vegative development is also dependent upon temperature, light and humidity (more so than your plants). Changes in those variables should put the kibosh on any unwanted mushie development. First and foremost dry the substrate they're growing on......drop the humidity also.

G

Well here is the low down. They are in Veg.

The shrooms popped up in the coco on the last show i did. I Dumped what I thought was all of the bad medium out of the program. So I started a new one and re-used same pots and the shrooms came back. The spores contaminated my pots. I dont know if they have an effect or not but they cant be great.

Last time these things grew up to 4". I ate one and didn't feel shit so I dont think they are worth keeping around. BTW: I am using soil now!!! Sunshine 4. And I know the fungus aint from the sunshine, its gotta be because of the last coco I did. Hyrdo guy told me that BioCanna was putting out some garbage coco. Well I got a batch of it for a little bit. I think they fixed that prob though. Shit seemed like saw dust.

Thanks everyone. I will be dryiing em out for a few i guess. Might hit them with a sulfur burner too. Not all are affected.

Last edited:
B

BlueberryNutz

i have seen that before in a walmart store, and i did it intentionally in one of my outdoor planters. i dont think you should encounter any problems from the mushies, but you will on the other hand have problems with the damp conditions. make sure you wash your hands if you touch them at all. usually they coexist quite nicely.

Sabbath_666

mushrooms.

mushrooms.

from someone who has a degree in field biology/mycology (mushrooms) next time DO NOT EAT A MUSHROOM UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS!!!

I don't think I have to stress how potent some mushrooms can be. your liver could have shut down with the wrong decision...

OKAY. with that being said, I am curious as to how the spores got into your medium in the first place. if the medium contained them or if it was your pots. If you want to be sure your pots are sterile use a 10% bleach solution. should kill anything that may live through the basic washing. Seems like the coco would have to be pretty damn bad to contain mushrooms spores. It could have contained a small amount of mycelium (think of "roots" for a mushroom) which would look like a white hairy/fibrous mass in the Coco. That would allow the fungus to respawn in the coco.

stickynickyz said:
Last time these things grew up to 4". I ate one and didn't feel shit so I dont think they are worth keeping around.

LOL, I guess you were hoping they were psilocybin mushrooms.... Gotta agree with Sabbath, that was a risky move, your lucky they weren't poisonous.

accessndx

Veteran
stickynickyz said:
I ate one and didn't feel shit so I dont think they are worth keeping around. BTW: I am using soil now!!!

You're lucky you're not IN SOIL NOW. Eating strange mushrooms (even though I admit doing this like 17 years ago at Dead concerts! LOL!) is a hugely bad idea. Forget your liver, your ass could just fall out! Then you'd be walking round trying to pull your intestine back in.

You'd be better off just drinking Draino with a few ice cubes in it.

Now on the OTHER hand, if you had some friendlies that you could depend on, I'd be the first to hit you up for some.

Honestly it may not be a bad idea to deliberately co-breed psilocybin mushrooms on top of the medium that buds are in. The both do well at most of the same temperatures. The mushrooms don't need direct light and would benefit from the shade of the canopy. They both like the 12 hour light cycle for fruiting. The mushrooms would also inhibit the growth of other nasties like algae, bacteria, etc. You'd certainly save space. Then you'd have two of my favorite things (yes...like in the sound of music song.) Is Julie Andrews still alive? I think her career tanked after she took her top off.

Last edited:
G

Yeah but if there are shrooms on the medium then it is too moist. Mushies probably like it wet all the time i guess.

Ps. I'm not dumb enough to eat one but I did let my dog grub a couple. She's cool!! J/K

accessndx

Veteran
They don't like it OVERTLY wet. They need a controlled amount of humidity, and to induce fruiting you need to change the temperature and light also.
It may be possible to keep a plastic layer between let's say hydroton rocks or soil and the medium the mushies are in. I was growing them on vermiculite/perlite using organic brown rice flour. I was surprised with the growth similarities with the exception of the initial innoculation of the substrate.

Sabbath_666

mushrooms

mushrooms

here are some reasons why you would not be able to cultivate psilicybe mushrooms in coco along with marijuana.

1. Coco has no nutritional content. mushrooms need some nutritional value there to spawn, (think brown rice or rye grain)

2. Psilocybe need to be in dark underground to spawn and while this happens you would need completely sterile media. I don't think marijuana plants can survive a pressure cooker. This lack of sterility would allow for too much competition from molds.

3. Although mushroom mycelium (roots so to speak) does not really like being wet, mushrooms, during the fruitbody formation, need very high humidity. This would be difficult to achieve in a growroom environment. the conditions that would allow mushrooms to fruit would probably make weed mold.

Sorry to be the rain on the mushroom parade but I guess someone had to do it....

G

I would try to grow either one if I had the choice. And for all of the requirements I must have all of them cuz they wont stop.

Sabbath_666

I was saying that psilocybin mushrooms won't grow in this scenario, not that NO mushrooms will. somehow you have created the perfect little ecosystem for your little yellow shrooms! Mushrooms are impressive in their ability to form relationships with other plants and soil types. if you can find the mycelium you can probably dig it out and replace it with non contaminated coco. eventually you will win and the fungus will not be able to keep up. Unless the whole pot is contaminated and that may be a problem!

Last edited:

brodus24

You can totally do a same-bucket grow, many people have, but its more of a novelty than anything, b/c you're not going to get huge flushes of shrooms or anything.

COCO is a spawning substrate for ps. cubensis that many have used with success. They key is you're not just shooting spores into COCO and hoping for the best--that would fail.

You would inoculate a sterilized quart jar of wild bird seed, let that run for a month until its all white with mycelium. Then cut chunks of the mycelium-infused seed and bury about 1/2" beneath the coco and keep moist. They will more than likely provide you with a handful of trips.

One caveat--the nutrients that are used for MJ growth may have adverse effects on the mycelial mass that would inhibit fruiting--not sure where the line is, but I have seen many photos of simul. grows, and done one in person (I did mine in VEG where I feed very lightly.)

sunnyside

Plant Manager
Veteran
has no one heard of myccorhizae?

fungi can be an extremely beneficial addative to soil or coco.

When in the garden doing some routine maintenance on some moms I ran across some shoomage...the fungus is among us.

There are over one billion living thriving organisms in one handfull of healthy earth. ONE BILLION. And over a football fields lengh of fungal hypae.

When you have inoculated media with all the goodies and just the right conditions you get shrooms...not something to be scared about.

May the fungus be with you...

Sabbath_666

brodus 24: you are actually growing on birdseed and using the coco as the casing layer. The Psilocybe mycelium needs a nutrient source such as bird seed (millet other things) or rye grain. I "might have grown" for cubensis for years and don't think it will grow too well on coco. have tried it on sawdust and some other things though with not so great luck...

sunnyside: those would appear to be mycena, hygrocybe, or some other non descript "LBM" (hard to tell without a spore print. I routinely get mushrooms in soil but my point was mainly about coco and the cultivation of psolocybe alongside weed. Psilocybe Cubensis are not really known to form myccorhizae relationships with plants that I know of. Morels would be the prime example of that, and I believe that Psilocybe Azurescens might as well...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts