What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spacecadet does D.I.Y Jiffy plugs

spacecadet

hello evey one i been working on making my own jiffy plugs out of coco and so far they have work great and best of all there free and i can make em as i need em. thing i like about them is once rooted i dont get transplant scock wich i seem to suffer a lot when i use the wick cloner and it seems to be faster rooted than the wick as well took 10 days to root to show on the jiffy plug and the roots are just starting to show on the wich cloner cutt. first off you will need some coco and a old ice cube tray. all so i want to thank JLP for the chem x c-99s i used his seeds to make the moms for these cutts

now drill some holes in the trays to help drain the water and then mix the coco or peat with lot of water and start packing tight till its flush with the top of the tray. after you done this take a pillips head screw drive and poke a hole tru it so you can place the stem.

Heres my helper seeatee or C.A.T trying to get in the way lol

now tap lightly on the bottom be care full handling them there not as strong as store bought plugs but they work just fine.

heres the finish plug ready for cutts

nowmy helper get the cutts ready tobe place in the wick cloner and jiffy plug

now there done and will waite and see how long it take for them to roots

Last edited:

spacecadet

ok its day 10 and i got roots coming from the plug and the cutt in the wick cloner is just starting to show her roots

here they are at day 10

here you can see the roots poking tru the plug at day 10

here i know there hard to see but the wick cutt is just starting to show her roots

Last edited:

spacecadet

DAY 12 AND THE WICK CLONER CUTT HAS NOW ROOTED AND TODAY I PLACED HER IN THE COCO POT AND FIXING TO PLACE IT OUT SIDE IN A FEW DAYS

G

Spacecadet I just moved; and have started a bunch of plants, and am running out of jiffy plugs. I've been idly wondering what I could use for about the last 5 days or so, next round. THANK YOU for this excellent idea.

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Would be cool if you found a way to hold them together, I think the jiffy pucks use cellulose mesh maybe? Thats what it looks and rips like IMO.

FRANKENBLUNT420

me blunt is like, wicked yo!! owight
i am on board, gotta get my closet up and running, but will need a source for constant plugs for the clones i will need to keep things growin' !!! great idea bro and best of all. . . DIY!!!!

the last set of plugs i got were fortified with vitamin B1, some sort of rootone,and all types of other stuff that would just be good for the insurance of healthy budding seeds. now that its got my mind working, maybe some plastic shot cups would work as well and give deeper plug.

DEFT- what do you think about a type of gauze or other mesh that is easily accessible? now of anything?

spacecadet

hey guys thanks for the nice comments i was thinking of making some kind of mesh to hold it together but it seems the tighter you make em the stronger they become but i took care in handling them and didn't have any problem other than my cat slap one around and knock a lil bit of it off but they did well and saved me having to order some. i think they would be a lot stronger if i could make some kind of press and pack it very hard.

clowntown

Veteran
Even if you pressed them very hard I think they will loosen up on you upon wetting.

Good job. Looks like it could fall apart rather easily, though.

spacecadet

hey clowntown nice to see drop by really once wet they heal tougher darn well but the harder ur press wile it wet the strong they become.best thing is no transplant schock and i never run out, i make em as i need em. i need to make a press and i bet they be even stronger.
thanks for the rep nycdfan042 icmag is the greatest

guineapig

Veteran
Awesome idea!!!! :jump: :woohoo:

A lot of people have trouble with choosing the right cloning medium......I did a similar experiment by taking a bunch of rapid rooters and ground them up in a blender.....i got sick of my low success rate in rapid rooters, so putting them in the blender seemed somehow appropriate......then put the ground-up rapid rooters in ice-trays, similar to your method.....

Exactly which kind of coco did you use? I would like to get exactly the right ratio of ingredients here.....

Keep Dope Alive!!!!

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

spacecadet

hey guineapig whats up man. well at first i put them in the ice cube and clone them thats way and i was looking at a rapid rooter in the catalog and got this idea to make them as far as coco i use the pet store brand made for lizards reptilbed i think it was and so far i been using the stuff for over a year now and works just fine works, great for cloning i don't mix any thing with it just strait coco after a good flush and check the ppm till there around 40 ppm. and i got some poppy started in it as well so waiting to see how that turns out

emmy75

wow spacecadet thats a wonderful idea. i currently use jiffy plugs but as they will run out soon ill move on over to the ice tray plugs.

spacecadet

if some of you are worried about them falling a part... you can just leave em in the ice cube tray and it work well... i use the blue see tru kind and can see the roots when they poke tru...

spacecadet

zappa66 said:
+rep thanks saves me $2 and a trip to walmart! (the trip to walmart worth $20+ in mental anguish)
I hear ya brother its a long trip to any store for me so i got to make the best of it..and this work out great no more trips to the store for pellets and i all so get 100% rates with clones

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran

Pure coco in a starter cell. Easy, and I haven't seen results like this from anything else I've tried.

Latest posts

Latest posts