What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ideas for Site Selection.

G

I've seen this question asked about once a week since I've been a member, so I thought i would share what I know about finding places to grow. Often, there are
area specific approaches but I believe these to be general in nature.. I know many others have their own site selection approaches so feel free to add anything you may know.

Let me preface my suggestions by defining "grow site".

My suggestions for grow sites aren't "patch" oriented. I live in an area that is very heavily survielled
and the concept of a "patch" went away in the early 90s. Last year in my state, over a half a million pot plants were cut by the 3 federal eradication agencies that operate here, and many of those were in sites with less than 10 plants.
If you live in a vast, remote area, a patch may be a consideration for you, but even though I live in a very rural, rugged area, its not an option for me. I have 29 grow sites that grow a total of 40 plants.

Most of the plants are individual plants. Just one. My efforts are focused much more on getting the most
of each individual plant as opposed to trying to grow lots of plants. I have come to believe this is the most
efficient approach to growing at least for me.

Strains: Don't overlook the importance of the strain to site selection. What is it you're trying to hide, a 4' single cola
or a 12' sativa.? These 2 sites can be very different places. You can hide the single cola plant by itself anywhere and these sites are very easy to find. Just one compact single cola.. 5oz.
The 12 footer needs a special place. The point is that when you head out to search, think about the plant your hiding. Often, I will find a good site and then assess it for the proper plant structure. If i have found a good spot next to a creek, Im not gonna plant a plant that will mould there. I'll put my earliest flowerers in my riskiest spots, so that i can harvest and be gone as soon as
possible. Theres a lot to consider with site selection;

Soil: Concealment isnt the only issue you need to consider. This has to be a major consideration in site selection. Don't skip away singing "they'll never find them here" without taking back a cup full of soil to test.

Sites:

Right under everyones nose: Don't assume you have to be in the middle of BFE. Leo tends to search BFE a lot.
Ive seen some good harvest taken just outside the city limits, near that old junkyard or railroad track. Again, you cant plant a patch but a plant. Smalll statured single cola plants are easy to hide if your only planting 1. A fence row, small patch of overgrown weeds, litterally anywhere that has a little overgrowth. Those spots exists closer by.

State and county roads: Often when states put in new roads, they will travel through farm land. Farms are cut by the road and the state will have to buy that small part of the farm because it has been rendered unusable by the farmer. The state does not maintain this right of way land and it makes great grow sites.

Dept. Natural Resources/ Div. of Abandoned lands: All US states have these.
Farmers and landowners die without any real family and with no will. This land is taken by the state but it is
approximately a 12 year process for the state to take ownership here. These farms are grown up and easy to find.
I found 11 farms totalling over 4000 acres in my county. A new piece of prospecive ground shows up ever few months. You can do the homework from your computer. They usually have a aerial view of the property you can download.
These sites are public. They hope that some long lost relative will see it and show up to collect. It rarely happens.

Interstate Islands: Often 4 lane state roads and interstates are divided and in my part of the country,
that divide is significant and provides lots of opportunity. Single plants here. This is federal property and a federal crime so be
professional. No playing here, in and out after dark - hardy strains.

Creeks: Shallow, fast moving streams will often divide and leave an island that isnt easily accessible. You'll have to wade but
sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

Building projects and developments: When big building projects are undertaken, either residential housing or commercial, land is bull dozed and the material is taken to the last point that will be addressed during the project. Many projects take several years and very often, the developer has had to buy the entire property but only needs 40 acres, and the other 6 will set there and grow up. Do your homework, find out whats going on and take advantage of the opp.Watch.

Other peoples farms: I know this has some ethical issues but in my area, unless the land owner has been arrested for growing or possession, the police aren't going to arrest them . Its the most common method around here, most land owners are clueless and the law knows it.. Ravines, fallen trees that can't be mowed, old fallen over barns that are grown up, thorn patches,
and anywhere else. Check your area to see how the law handles it, don't put anyone in jeapordy.

State Wildlife Preserves: Do you know what they do with the farms where the owner died with no family that spends 12 years in the state court system? They turn into these. Check with fish and wildlife to find out where they are.

Abandoned farms: The old man died and the old woman's in a nursing home. Their family lives 1000 miles away and the farm has gone to hell. It won't be sold until the mother dies. Drive your county, you'll see them

Utility Easments: Hi power transfer lines or local spurs, gas lines and other utillties take wide swaths through wooded areas. These easments grow up for 3-5 years and then they clear them again. Pay attention and good grows are to be had here.

Finally, don't forget all the ways you might impact a prospective site and improve it. I have 4 " DANGEROUS SNAKES IN AREA" signs that make good deterents. These signs aren't that unusual around here and most people will avoid the area when they see the sign nailed to a tree near what may be an entry point.
Ive found them very effective when used at some sites. BE CREATIVE. Be smart. Don't get caught.

This is what I know, who can add something?

Last edited:

ahssensi

Good info, you about named every one of my outdoor spots. About the only thing I have to add is north and south hedge rows. I find a gap and plant a few there. No ghetto birds around but they use planes so when they fly over they see nothing but plants have sun all day except high noon.

luciano28

Some great ideas here silverback. I might try a couple new spots this year, like on the edge of some utility pipelines going through the woods. Im tired of living in the jagger bushes but it always works. I like the areas where dead brush piles up and jagger bushes. I take a beating though from those jaggers every damn year, this is the worst time too getting ready for the upcoming year, the old dead jaggers from last year break off and stick in my skin. lol, sorry for the jagger rant.

Another place I like is right on the side of a big steep rocky hillside, if I can climb it, and get a shovel in to dig a hole, I like to bury a bucket. Its just a bitch climbing, I usually dont visit these too often, its just a thing I been trying last couple years. If the weather is too dry though I have no choice but to climb the hill to water it.

Careful with the utility easements. I was having a coffee with the Sheriff's chopper pilot who told me that's one of his favorite places to look. People think the high tension lines scare him off, not so.

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
I have also heard similar things. I heard one chopper pilot say he specifically looks near power lines and other utility easements because growers like to plant near them and use them as reference and access points to their grows. That doesn't mean you shouldn't use these spots but stay stealth and you won't have a problem.

Last edited:
G

Hey everyone, thanks for the conversation.

ahssensi I think all of us that have been growing a while end up in these spots. Im always looking.

Yeah DD, we have snakes around here so those signs are around.

luciano28, I have some sites on a south facing slope. The plants are never found but I always have to water and the climbing sucks.

fisheadbob and Rudolf, your'e both exactly right - they are heavily viewed by everyone, state police, national gaurd and anyone else looking for weed. There is a high power transmission line near my house and I watch them fly over it every year. I also plant a single cola plant at a rate of about 3 per football field and as heavily as its over flown, I harvest over 3lbs per season for over 8 years in a row now. Single cola plants, seperated by 100' or more cant be seen from above. Growing stealthy takes more work but the benefits are better.

Last edited:

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
Vol Funk said:
What about railroads?
Its OK to grow near railroad tracks but you must take a few precautions. First you need to watch out for trains. If a conductor sees you walking a long the tracks he may call the police on you. Local PD's tends to patrol closely to the tracks. The railroad company might spray along the tracks as well.

I would suggest growing along abandoned railroads. There are thousands and thousands of miles of abandoned railroad in this country. This way you don't have to worry about active trains or anything of that.

http://abandonedrailroads.homestead.com/

This is a good site.

phrank

top notch...

top notch...

Another kick ass manifesto! I could not agree more with your ideas on how to keep shit on the down low.

phrank

G

Hey phrank, good to see you.

Railroad tracks and right of ways are good and I plant close to them. On word of caution, they spray pesticides heavily along tracks so stay back a bit. I bet the soil is soaked with it. Rudolf has good advice.

Deft, your'e right buddy, state or national forest are good but again, federal property so it can be a federal crime. I live near the Daniel Boone National forest and there is a force of 6 choppers based about 5 air miles from my house, and all day long, 6 days a week, they fly around and around starting on Aug 1. They have companion teams on the ground with dogs. I use it still but caution is the watch word. First timers need to use caution in these sites as experience is critical. The law patroling these forest know many of the tricks. Be Smart. Think a lot.

Last edited:

Vol Funk

So...let say plant 20-40 feet away from the track and is on high steep hill(about 10 feet up) should be good?

The railroad down here isn't abandoned :(

Edit: Daniel Boone National forest isn't that far from me. lol

Last edited:

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
Vol Funk said:
So...let say plant 20-40 feet away from the track and is on high steep hill(about 10 feet up) should be good?

The railroad down here isn't abandoned :(

Edit: Daniel Boone National forest isn't that far from me. lol
The railroad where you may live may not be abandoned but they may have abandoned some lines in your area. There was a period of time in railroad history when many lines were closed due to the auto industry inventing the freight truck to haul goods. Also, the invention of the car and interstates has greatly reduced the amount people riding trains too. So now there are thousands and thousands of abandoned lines all over the place.
If you download google earth they have a feature that shows railroad lines and hiking trails... use this feature and it'll show you rail lines in use and sometimes even abandoned lines. Now what they are doing is turning a lot of abandoned rail lines into hiking trails. Its called a rail-to-trail...
might i suggest even looking for short line railroad companies in your area. Short line just means its a railroad company that only operates short distances and make interchanges with larger railroads for cargo. A lot of time there is less railroad traffic on these lines so its a little more discreet and often times there tracks are a little more neglected which leads me to believe they don't spray for pesticides as often.

I hopped freight trains for about 5 years of my life... if you ever want to know anything about their operations or anything else just ask.

Last edited:

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
I wouldn't grow in Daniel Boone National Forest... its one of the top cultivation areas for marijuana in the United States. I imagine during harvest its crawling with police. Not to mention you have to watch out for other growers and in that area they can be violent. Toting guns, setting up traps around their plants, etc.

luciano28

Yes this is a nice thread, and perfect timing for it, most of us have site selection on our minds this time of year.

Given me new ideas, sounds like my style is a lot like Silverback's in a way, Ive never grown in a patch, I just have 1 plant here and there in spots all over my county. I have to have it that way, too many dirt bike riders around. I just dont like to risk having a mass of plants growing in one area.

Rudolf, abandoned railways sounds good, I know of one in my area Im gonna scout out later this week, thanks for the idea. Oh and I love "The Wire". Nice avatar.

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
http://www.abandonedrails.com/

Here is another site for abandoned rail lines that lists some other ones. I would even go as far as learning the history of the railroad line in case you encounter rail fans, police, property owners, etc. you'll have a reason to be there. Especially with other rail fans they'll want to talk and know why you're there. Just act like you love trains. This is perfect for me because I enjoy trains as much as weed and I even have clothes to dress the part. Get yourself a hat with a railroad logo on it.

hamstring

Veteran
Silverback

You Sir are a devoted grower. Planting 1 and 2 plants per plot is a lot of work but great security. So you normally do not have to water or provide ferts for your plots. Geez that’s great it looks you put all the work up front.

I have never tried just planting and forgetting before so I have no idea if my climate can support it but I have a feeling it could.

I planed on less visits this year trying to minimize them as much as possible. I am sure like many growers I feel I need to be there to take care of them once every 2 -3 weeks. I am sure less can be done.

What’s your opinion on the first couple of weeks after planting? I like to be there after the first 2-3 weeks because that’s when they are most vulnerable. Give them an extra shot of ferts then maybe come back in a month.

What’s your regiment on visits?

Hey, SB just wanted to stop by and say congrats on another great post. good timing, great subject, and awesome way to get all the wheels spinning. Ive been waiting for your thread you said you were gonna write called 60 oz 60 days or something like that. looking forward to another great thread. keep it up friend.

Peace, slow

Latest posts

Latest posts