I have been trying to find out some information about this for quite some time now.
First of all, thanks to all those that have been PM'ing, helping me look for and find information regarding this strain, I know that it hasn't been the easiest; you all know who you are. I will share your information but not your names; just outta respect for ANY possible information that you may have wanted to remain within the PM system.
I started this hunt with a thread titled "Bananna Weed...????" If you care to look and see what developed, feel free, if not, you are not missing much.
To be completely honest...I was calling it "Monkey Shit" at first. However, I knew this wasn't the name because I was just calling it that b/c I couldn't remember...remember it being called "Monkey _______".
When cesartime posted about "Monkey Paw", every light and bell went off in my head (the few I have left), and I knew I had started moving the right direction. The location (Midwest) was also where I had my chance encounter. So I know for a fact, "Monkey Paw" is what I am searching for.
This is the up-to-date collective:
- "What would you like to know about the monkeypaw? Unfourtanetly I didnt get cuts of the plant while i was around, this was in the great lakes area. It was a dense budded, medium green colored, with plenty of red colored hairs, and a delicious sweet smell, and a covering of trichs that looks like glaze.
I beleive it is a under 70 day strain, mostly indica makeup, thats about i can come up with offhand."
- "I wouldnt mind helping to track down the cut, as it was pretty ultra-dank.
But the cut im referring to floats around the detroit area, but how do you intend on going on the hunt/obtaining for the cut?
I deal with a guy who secondhand knows a group who holds the paw, but they were kinda reluctant to get off of a clone at the time i put in a bid. I dunno how their situation may have changed, but I think ill have better luck finding a ultra strain amongst the other local yokals in the area.
let me know what i can do if anything, i wouldnt mind adding it to my arsenal one day, just now i dont see how.
Another wonderful find by someone was that others have been searching too. None of the following was originally posted by me. I have only asked around the ICM forums. The following was copied from a different forum, being discussed by several posters:
- "Monkey paw?????
Just wondering if anybody has heard of this and know what it is. I remember enjoying some in the early 80's.I just remember it being the darkest and dankest bud ever and sitting on the couch for hours wating to come down
buddies and I have kicked it around and haven't a clue as to wear it came from or the land race it was derived from.Just thought I would put it out there for others to kick around."
- "have heard of it but I thought it was called monkey pop but the guy who told me this was a yankee and I might have misunder stood him. I think it must be a detriot or MI strain. never seen it in the south."
- "Well ********** were on the right track cause thats where I was when I lit it up."
- "Monkey Paw came from Oakland Co. MI...north of Detroit. Multiple growers had it in the late 80's into the early 90's. But, most were very young and dumb and let all the clones and mothers die off or get weeded out by more competition from other strains like Super Skunk, White Widow, and ISS. The last known person in the area, years ago, would pull 1-2 hundred Monkey Paw seeds from the freezer constantly to show them off to friends. Well, those seeds were tried years back with no germination from not even one seed.
Now everyone has grown up and moved on. I don't think any of those strain are around that area anymore, but I can't say that I ever go out there anymore to look anyway. Just a bunch of old memories."
- "Thanks *******, well sorry to here its at an end. I feel it was a much better than WW and skunk.
- "Monkey Paw was actually stolen from a basement room of a very trusting individual(weren't we all back then). As I was told first hand: The owner of the house fell asleep after burning a fat one of the super couch lock Monkey Paw. The person who stole it found a room of rooted clones unlocked while looking for the bathroom. He said there were 20+ clones there and just grabbed one real quick and walked out the door and drove home. The clone was subsequently vegged, cloned, and flowered. It kicked our ass so it was cloned the hell out of and passed out to everyone. It was cloned so much that it made it to the 10th generation of clones in a short amount of time. Well the nickname of "10th Gen" got passed around for a while until the originator released its name. He said he knew that the clone was stolen and who stole it, but was not mad in the least. He told us it was called "Monkey Paw", because of the resemblance to a monkey paw when grown."
- "monkey paw was originally a strain from hawaii in the 70's. maybe the michigan one was a different strain.
here's something from the overgrow archives cached on google:
"From what I remember about the Hawaiian strains... The Monkey Paw was a sativa that had 'finger' size, medium density, green buds with orange/red hairs, and a heavy,sweet aroma. The buzz was viberant and colorful." "
The last of these posts was made in Feb of 2006.