What's new

Ridiculously low yield, what the hell happened?

InjectTruth

These pics are of the grow about 3/4's of the way through. 1000w HPS with AN nutes and Gravity vegged for 2 weeks or so, in peat/verm/perlite with worm castings and mycorhizal fungi. LA confidential was the main strain along with some HDF bagseed. Some plants only yielded 4 grams or so. The large plant not pictured in the back right corner in a 5 gallon dwc yielded 3 ozs. The quality was very good and the gravity made a huge difference in the density of the nugs.

However, the total yield was around 8 ozs. I had 6-7 plants in 2 or 3 gallon containers, about 18-20 in one gallons, 2 in 1 gallon dwc, and 2 in 5 gallon dwc.

A few months ago, I pulled 5 zips off of a 250 in a micro cabinet (see gallery)

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!!!!?????!!!?!?!??! :bashhead:

b8man

Veteran
The roots system might have not developed properly. What did they look like when you pulled them up?

Any deficiency during the grow?

My guess is that one of the nutrients or additives has stumped the root growth. Or they weren't getting enough bubbles from the bubblers.

G

Looks like an over fert or rootbound/rot situation to me. Possibly overwater. The leaf curl looks like a over nute/water mostly.

l33t

Veteran
Hi there Inject Truth,

Inject Truth said:
A few months ago, I pulled 5 zips off of a 250 in a micro cabinet (see gallery)

excuse my ignorance but how much exactly is a ''zip''?

an oz.... an ounce, a QQP... yep its and Ounce.
5 QQP's ;) is a schaweet yeild for a 250 anything HPS or MH.
Without knowing the specifics I would guess high water temps in the DWC's and the soil sounds a bit dense mabey retrarding root growth?
What was the peralite ratio? I liked to go as high as 40% but that was me.
so yeah looks like over water and over fert from slow draining soil.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
is that only a 250?
thats decent yield then....
not super but shit.. get a 600w or a 1k w/ a superblue hortilux bulb :p
then youll yield.

InjectTruth

Thanks for the responses.

B8 - It may have been a salt buildup or lockup issue, as I would water with dilute nutes every time, with no flush until the end. The roots were very puny considering the veg time, with plants using no more than 25% of the soil.

Azeo - yeah, I think I may have added too much stuff and created a toxic soil condition, killing the roots.

I've never used it, but have heard that gravity is pretty potent shit. Beyond that, you'll want to be feeding more like every WEEK not every day. And maybe pickup a bottle of Foxfarms 'Big Bloom' to encourage root growth and break up any salt bonds.
Good Luck!

M

medical_shed

Those are indica dom strains you really need to veg for a lot longer especially if you're in such big pots, you need to give the roots time to fill the pots before flowering.

They also look overfed. + there's no need for perlite or vermiculite in soil/compost grows.

I've no idea about your bubblers though.

medical_shed said:
Those are indica dom strains you really need to veg for a lot longer especially if you're in such big pots, you need to give the roots time to fill the pots before flowering.

They also look overfed. + there's no need for perlite or vermiculite in soil/compost grows.

I've no idea about your bubblers though.

Excellent point! That is actually why I 'extra-root' my heavy indicas in perlite, before flowering.

I dont, however, understand how you can say there is no need for perlite in a soil/compost grow? Can you please explain this statement?

M

medical_shed

Stoned Cold said:
Excellent point! That is actually why I 'extra-root' my heavy indicas in perlite, before flowering.

I dont, however, understand how you can say there is no need for perlite in a soil/compost grow? Can you please explain this statement?

Sure, perlite just dilutes the compost/soil mix meaning you have to feed sooner. I've read that roots prefer a consistent texture, ie less resistance.

It's good to use in the mix for seedlings if your compost is a little hot.

It's been so long since I've used it I don't remember why I used it, any ideas? lol

medical_shed said:
Sure, perlite just dilutes the compost/soil mix meaning you have to feed sooner. I've read that roots prefer a consistent texture, ie less resistance.

It's good to use in the mix for seedlings if your compost is a little hot.

It's been so long since I've used it I don't remember why I used it, any ideas? lol

I've always associated a 50% perlite mix to be 'half-assed-hydro'. I've found that my buckets with the MOST perlite, yielded the MOST bud. Maybe it's a preference thing, but I like to try and max my nutes, and it also seems to add forgiveness!
Less resistance?; Pearlite is FAR less resistant than compost or soil.

Absolutely right about the seedlings!

Do you flush your plants? Because that I KNOW is a pita w no perlite!

I dunno bro, but a 1/3 coco, 1/3perlite and 1/3 MG moisture contol has been leavin me with some seriously voluptuous roots, and the best yields I've ever heard of a noob pulling!

If your plants arent suffering than I give you mad respect for spending $5 less dollars a week than I!

M

medical_shed

Yeah man different styles is all. I'm organic as possible and go very easy on nutes.

I like to use a very fluffy textured compost similar to coco and the roots love it. I know what you mean though a lot of mixes are very heavy but if it's not light I wouldn't use it.

I never have to feed in veg though and can lay off N for quite a while in flower if I need to.

Last edited:

Homeless

Certainly, I'd have to say that 4g's is really low. And that there is a direct correlation between root mass and yield size.

You say you had 2 weeks Veg. Certainly enough time to get more than 4gs unless rootbound or other problems.

Your main problems are going to come from your 18-20 1gallon.

Were those clones or directly from seed? If you cloned and rooted then directly flowered, that may be one factor. I like to let my clones get rootbound in 16oz Solo cups before I transfer to the 1 gallons. This has given me some decent success, certainly more than 4g a plant.

So with my knowledge, I'd say the soil was too hot for the maturity of the plant's roots and it may have really stunted it mroe than you know.

Using a 1000w light also creates lots of heat. If you're water temps for DWC are too high, that can cause all sorts of problems directly impacting the yield.
I have direct experience with this as well as with nute burn. Both directly caused my 5ft DWC white widows to yield a measely (and low quality) 20grams.

I hope I help, if you gave more details on why you think you acheieved such a small yield, we can pick at your theroies and figure out possibilities.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
from seed veg'd two weeks is nowhere near enough. the difference in 2 and four is huge. 5-6 more common and higher yielding.

when people say they veg'd two weeks and flowered they usually mean SOG and from clone.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Ive heard of people doing 12/12 from seed with no veg, and still getting 20+ grams with the right genetics. I wouldnt blame the yield on veg time entirely.

Less Veg time = More plants, and vice versa

Best bet, is try again.

Make sure you have all the environment basics working. Room tempature, canopy tempature, air circulation, air ventilation (enough Co2 in room), humidity.

Once you have all that dialed in, then work on your medium. A nice perlite, coco, soil mix. Or just soil/perlite. DWC is great although it is a bit more complicated, you really need to get down to basics until your getting decent yields then go for the high tech stuff.

Get a PH Pen, and possible an EC Pen. That way you can check what you are giving the plants. Write it down keep a record.

Go easy on the ferts. Less is more :p The nutrient companies attempt to lead us to beleive we need like 10 different fertilizers... you really dont, and when you use so many it is very easy to overkill something and not realize what you did. Keep it simple^^

Last thing, is the genetics. Some strains are just gonna yield tiny amounts. Maybe look into getting an easy maintenance high yielding strain. Im sure alot of people can give you some suggestions. AK-47, Bubblegum, Critical mass, etc... there are tons of them.

The simpler the grow is, the easier it is to find the problem.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
there is a big 12/12 from seed thread here. you can see results aren't very impressive.

G

12/12 from seed is easy growing on the time schedule but, short on yield. Can work well with some true sativas like 80% sativa or more. There is more to that though.

Nothing to but, chin up and go again using what you have learned here. I have pounded some stuff with the bushmaster/gravity/purplemax line and have since put them away.