What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Would it be ok to exhuast into a wall?

T

TheOneWill

I plan on building a cab. (NGB style but larger) Dimensions are

24inches deep
44inches wide
42 inches tall

Flower room 24inch deep, 32inch wide 42inch high
Mother 24inch deep, 12inch wide, 30inch high
Supply room 24inch deep, 12inch wide, 12inch high

I was thinking of using a 250hps or 2 150hps. I was gonna build it stealthy and plan on putting the cab against the wall. Because I plan on putting it in my closet and right now I'm running 6 42 watt cfl's. The temps are still high because it is not really cold yet. But I wanna keep growing even when the weather gets hot. So if I could exhaust into a wall.

Could someone point me in the right direction to get a quite but high cfm fan?

If I can't exhaust into the wall I will run a small 4 inch duct in the wall or maybe something smaller into the attic.

P.S. I got 2 9000rpm 120mm fans now. Don't know how much air they move though, just letting you know.

Thank you,
TheOneWill

Last edited:
T

TheOneWill

I'm pretty sure the wall is hollow up to the attic. But if it isn't I could drill some holes or cut out a piece of the 2x4 in the attic.

Last edited:
most walls will have a top-plate. usually made of 2-horizontally stacked 2x4s supporting your joists and held up by vertical studs. drilling holes will help, but will not be as good as removing a section of the top-plate. if it is a load bearing wall, be careful when deciding to cut out structural support. you might be able to get away with cutting out a section, then toe-nailing everything together so it cannot shift if something were to happen. personally, i decided to vent straight into the attic via the ceiling - between the rafters. this way nothing had to be altered except for a hole in the drywall - a simple fix when the time comes.

T

TheOneWill

HighonPottery said:
most walls will have a top-plate. usually made of 2-horizontally stacked 2x4s supporting your joists and held up by vertical studs. drilling holes will help, but will not be as good as removing a section of the top-plate. if it is a load bearing wall, be careful when deciding to cut out structural support. you might be able to get away with cutting out a section, then toe-nailing everything together so it cannot shift if something were to happen. personally, i decided to vent straight into the attic via the ceiling - between the rafters. this way nothing had to be altered except for a hole in the drywall - a simple fix when the time comes.
Exactly. I'm probley just gonna cut out a small 6 inch peice and put a 1ft 2x4 over it so it will still hold the wall together, but my air duct will be able to push the air up only through a 4inch space which should be fine.
I might just dill 2 two inch holes and cut a slot out in the middle of the 2x4.

tripnoncid

Jus leavea little bit of space between the cab and wall....maybe 2". I had a c22 cabinet and drilled a bunch of 1" holes in the back and put it 1/2" from the wall in my closet and I ran good temps.
trip

T

TheOneWill

I might just say **** it and use the whole cab without a supply spot and mother room.
Would a 400watt hps to much light for that amount of space?
3 ft 8in wide
3 ft 6in tall
2 ft deep
I can build a supply cabinet right next to it about 2ft 6in tall 1 or 2ft deep and 1ft wide.

T

TheOneWill

Because I got a small veg cab right now and I was planing on getting 1 oz per plant and have 16 plants but I would like to get 4ozs per month so I would have to start 4 plants each month. veg for 2 months then flower for like 3 or 4. Or just veg all 16 at once and flower all 16 at once and get a big amount every 6months. But if I get a male then it would suck, but if I do the 4 plants per month schedule I can kill off the males and have more room for the next month.

T

TheOneWill

tripnoncid said:
I think that would be easy to manage with a good fan and a cool tube.
trip
I already got a 430watt hps sitting in my closet its just that I need to figure out where I can get a glass tube at and a nice silent fan. Also I need to do a remote ballst on it. :(

T

TheOneWill

Well I tried to remove the ballast but the screws on the outside of the light is rusted tight. So how hot does a ballast get? If anyone wants pic of light, I'll upload them . It has 3 vents on it.
One vent is on top of ballast should I put a fan on there?
There is one vent directly above the light I was planing on putting a 9000rpm 120mm on there.
Then there is a vent on the side right at the end of the tip of the light bulb. I was plan on getting some high cfm fan. But need it to be very quiet. If anyone could help me there thank you.
The dimensions changed to 4ft tall 2 ft wide and 3ft 8inches wide.

jordas

TheOne......well did you build it??

I am curious as to how that cab works with that bigger HPS lite....

Latest posts

Latest posts