in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cooking With Cannabis > Tincture, Revisited

Thread Title Search    
Click for great deals at Seedbay
 Tincture, Revisited Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #1
zymos
Jammin'!

zymos has a reputation beyond reputezymos has a reputation beyond reputezymos has a reputation beyond reputezymos has a reputation beyond reputezymos has a reputation beyond reputezymos has a reputation beyond reputezymos has a reputation beyond reputezymos has a reputation beyond reputezymos has a reputation beyond reputezymos has a reputation beyond reputezymos has a reputation beyond repute
Tincture, Revisited

Here's my latest experiment-
4 grams high quality trim (about 1/2 actual bits of bud,the rest crystally bud leaves) in 8 oz organic 190 proof grain alcohol.
I let it it sit a couple of weeks,shaking ocasionally, then pressed it in an herb press, recovering virtually all the alcohol.

In a mason jar with the lid sitting on top but not screwed on, I put it in a pot of water and brought to a boil. When the tincture itself started boiling (around 170 F) I let it go for about 15 minutes.Volume was reduced slightly, but I didn't boil off all that much.

Mixed 2 TBS (= 1 fluid oz, so around 1/2 gm of weed) in some water with a splash of lemon, and drank on a fairly empty stomach. Started feeling something in around an hour, and was definitely high in 2 hrs. Got a medium buzz-nothing too intense. I'll probably double the dose next time. Note I have a pretty low tolerance for a regular toker.

The tincture, both before and after boiling, has what looks like trichomes that settle out to the bottom, like a thin layer of sand. Perhaps the alcohol is saturated? I don't think I'd want to make it with a higher proportion of alcohol, since an adaquate dose would then equal 2-3 strong drinks.

Plenty more trim, so next up, butter...!
zymos is offline   Quote

Old 11-28-2007, 07:07 AM   #2
Nubie Biatch

Nubie Biatch has a spectacular aura aboutNubie Biatch has a spectacular aura about
Follow the butter brick road! I think cannabutter is tops! It really is my favorite way to ingest THC. It will only take a single cookie, brownie, or whatever to get you blazed out of your mind.
Nubie Biatch is offline   Quote

Old 11-28-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
Papulz
lover of all things hashlike

Papulz is a splendid one to beholdPapulz is a splendid one to beholdPapulz is a splendid one to beholdPapulz is a splendid one to beholdPapulz is a splendid one to beholdPapulz is a splendid one to beholdPapulz is a splendid one to behold
imo you have no need to soak for 2 weeks, i usually make my tinctures in an hour or so.. however i am a huge fan of them, and favor them over edibles on many occasions due to the speed of medication that a tincture brings... its also rather indiscreet and many times less of a taste issue than with ganja food if that is an obstacle.

ive been thinking about possibly making a large batch of tincture something like a pint maybe.. i just dont know how long it would remain viable for.
Papulz is offline   Quote

Old 11-28-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
zymos
Jammin'!

zymos has a reputation beyond reputezymos has a reputation beyond reputezymos has a reputation beyond reputezymos has a reputation beyond reputezymos has a reputation beyond reputezymos has a reputation beyond reputezymos has a reputation beyond reputezymos has a reputation beyond reputezymos has a reputation beyond reputezymos has a reputation beyond reputezymos has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papulz
imo you have no need to soak for 2 weeks,
No doubt- I just let it sit around till I felt like pressing it...
zymos is offline   Quote

Old 11-28-2007, 10:51 PM   #5
boroboro
along the road, no simple highway

boroboro has a spectacular aura aboutboroboro has a spectacular aura aboutboroboro has a spectacular aura about
I made a tincture recently, using ISO oil and Bacardi 151. Unfortunately I didn't measure how much ISO oil I used. Volume-wise it could have been about 6 - 10 pea size balls (1 cm balls).

Added the ISO oil to 750 ml of Bacardi 151. I got all the oil out of the container by soaking it in the Bacardi -- it's an excellent solvent! Heated the entire bottle for about 30 minutes, not quite boiling the alcohol. Not boiling it down, just trying to cover my bases a bit in case there is something to the heating/decarboxylization/activation thing.

1 - 1.5 capfuls of this tincture keeps me happy for most of the evening. I do have a low tolerance, though...

I also see a similar settling / sediment layer at the bottom if the bottle sits still for a day. Shaking the bottle for a 5-10 seconds mixes it back up, and it seems to stay in suspension for hours and hours.

So far it's my favorite cannabis ingestion method
boroboro is offline   Quote

Old 11-28-2007, 11:56 PM   #6
zymos
Jammin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroboro
So far it's my favorite cannabis ingestion method
Much as I enjoy drinking alcohol in various forms, I can't see this replacing a quick toke or 2!
zymos is offline   Quote

Old 11-29-2007, 03:00 PM   #7
boroboro
along the road, no simple highway

boroboro has a spectacular aura aboutboroboro has a spectacular aura aboutboroboro has a spectacular aura about
I get pretty paranoid about the smell from smoking, since I spend a lot of time, day and night, around people who shouldn't know about my preferences. With a strong tincture mix the amount of alcohol is pretty low, maybe 1/4 of a shot for me.
boroboro is offline   Quote

Old 12-13-2007, 12:33 AM   #8
Deft
Get two birds stoned at once

Deft is a splendid one to beholdDeft is a splendid one to beholdDeft is a splendid one to beholdDeft is a splendid one to beholdDeft is a splendid one to beholdDeft is a splendid one to beholdDeft is a splendid one to behold
Trying it for the first time, mixed up 50ml of Gin and Chronic

I felt something right away, different from smoking, I gulped it down and immediately all the stress in my face dissapeared.. was very nice, like all the tension just vanished a split second after shooting it. Something is going on but its being slow, I might mix up another 50ml of the chronic and tonic in a few hours if this doesn't get better by then.

Ohh and the trichs are suspended in the alky, looks weird.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:37 AM   #9
GET MO
Registered Med User

GET MO is a survivorGET MO is a survivorGET MO is a survivorGET MO is a survivorGET MO is a survivorGET MO is a survivorGET MO is a survivorGET MO is a survivorGET MO is a survivorGET MO is a survivorGET MO is a survivor
I made some tincture last year, I filled a masson jar with good shake and then everclear. I let it sit for 2 months, shaking every other day. then I strained it and let it sit open so some of the alcohol could evaporate.
I remember the first tilme I tested it I was playin gears of war online, sippin on a little wine glass half full. after an hour I didnt know what the fuck I was doin, I was lost, I had to go pick up my girl from work too, I was fucked up. after that a poored it in the little medicine dripper bottles, everyone loved it, tasted hella nasty though so I added honey... Next time Im gonna heat it up...
-CA Med Patient in compliance with SB 420/Prop 215-
Cannabis Club List, CalNORML
-Get Mo's Grow Log-
BloomShotz!!
Dried Bud Shots...
Vert Baby!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GET MO View Post
Im up at 4 am pain wont let me sleep no longer
fuckit pop another pill and take some hits uh da ganja
hash be a lil stronger but dem grapes so tasty
stomach crampin ta remind me death still gon chase me
county clinic a waste me no get no service
Cant afford health care so they no think me deserve it
I still be a servant helpin dem who in need
providen alternative medicine herbals without da seed
Top shelf indeed, me trees is da dopest
my goal ta give help to them folks dats hopeless

to be continued........
-GET MO-
GET MO is online now   Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
HeresTheDank

HeresTheDank is on a distinguished road
Haha, glad i saw this thread. One of of my good buddies got a big ass mason jar full of this stuff. It was put in 151, adn however it was made thats what was used. He'd sell a vile(not sure how its spelled, like a vile to shoot liquid) with it to sell for 20 bucks for the whole shot, or these mini things for 5 bucks. id get like 2 of the mini things n get a nice ass body high/buzz. The one time i took a whole shot thing of it, damn i was high beyond belief
HeresTheDank is offline   Quote

Old 12-09-2008, 08:54 AM   #11
nightowl

nightowl is on a distinguished road
I was just wondering if anyone had a good recipe for canna-vodka? Does it really need to be heated or does the alcohol absorb without needing to be heated? Does it need to be overproof alcohol? And what do you use to strain it? I mean, if I use a coffee filter, are some trichs gonna get lost in the filter? I just have this half litre of svedka and pile of frosty leaves in front of me giving me ideas. I've reached some good results with my butter, I've even been accused of putting hallucinogens in my baked goods, but they call for sooo much butter, it's so fattening...
nightowl is offline   Quote

Old 12-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #12
aeburnside

aeburnside is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
I was just wondering if anyone had a good recipe for canna-vodka? Does it really need to be heated or does the alcohol absorb without needing to be heated? Does it need to be overproof alcohol? And what do you use to strain it? I mean, if I use a coffee filter, are some trichs gonna get lost in the filter? I just have this half litre of svedka and pile of frosty leaves in front of me giving me ideas. I've reached some good results with my butter, I've even been accused of putting hallucinogens in my baked goods, but they call for sooo much butter, it's so fattening...
1. Vodka might be too weak to extract a lot of the goodies from the trim. Using the highest proof you can find will definitely help with extraction.
2. Heat will also help to extract the cannabinoids from the leaves faster and more efficiently.
3. Your extracting the chemicals from the trichomes, not the trichomes from the leaf, so filtering it isn't as big a problem as with bubble hash. Just making sure to get all of your alcohol out of the leaf matter by squeezing it.
aeburnside is offline   Quote

Old 12-11-2008, 07:11 AM   #13
grumio

grumio is on a distinguished road
I use the toe of a nylon stocking to strain, fitted over a fine-mesh metal strainer. I press it with a lime juicer. Quite convenient.

I've only used the hot method, & it has worked fantastically well every time. Takes about an hour.

I have, though, apparently ruined a coffee grinder that I used to grind the bud. I use the alcohol (151 Everclear) to rinse the grinder base & lid after grinding.

The last time I made a batch, the grinder blade was just about frozen. I've been making the stuff for almost a year.

Time for a new grinder, I guess. But using the alcohol to clean it is important - you can see the trichs left all over after you grind.
grumio is offline   Quote

Old 12-21-2008, 11:31 PM   #14
GET MO
Registered Med User

GET MO is a survivorGET MO is a survivorGET MO is a survivorGET MO is a survivorGET MO is a survivorGET MO is a survivorGET MO is a survivorGET MO is a survivorGET MO is a survivorGET MO is a survivorGET MO is a survivor
how do you heat the bud up before enclosing it with the alcohol? do you heat up the alcohol too?
-CA Med Patient in compliance with SB 420/Prop 215-
Cannabis Club List, CalNORML
-Get Mo's Grow Log-
BloomShotz!!
Dried Bud Shots...
Vert Baby!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GET MO View Post
Im up at 4 am pain wont let me sleep no longer
fuckit pop another pill and take some hits uh da ganja
hash be a lil stronger but dem grapes so tasty
stomach crampin ta remind me death still gon chase me
county clinic a waste me no get no service
Cant afford health care so they no think me deserve it
I still be a servant helpin dem who in need
providen alternative medicine herbals without da seed
Top shelf indeed, me trees is da dopest
my goal ta give help to them folks dats hopeless

to be continued........
-GET MO-
GET MO is online now   Quote

Old 02-28-2009, 04:51 AM   #15
grasspass

I used to cook the chopped up herb for 5 minutes at 300f to activate the thc. before putting in alcohol. The last batch I forgot to cook and it works just fine for my arthritis pain. I'm not going to cook it anymore because I read that CBD evaporates at 150f . I want more than just thc. Now I'm just going to put it in 190 proof for 4 weeks then use it.