What's new

Pressing Hash powder?How to compress hash into a rock hard block?

LetZgetI

Got around 80g's of hash powder and want to compact it into a hard block before it goes moldy or sumit!I've tried heating it up in the oven at 170c with wet paper/foil wrapped around it,pressed with rolling a bottle over and over!,then left to cool in the fridge!its supposed to be quite hard at this point but i can never get it hard enough to stay together,let alone a hard block!All i want to do is compact it into a hard block which seems to be quite tricky!Any good ideas u guys?

Sleepy

Veteran
you could try...

you could try...

or this...
Pactivist said:
Well mine has been sitting long enough - so now i need to get it out of my press.
gonna need some tools -

these are the ones that i use, a hammer, a small bolt, a drift punch, and a knife(a little later)
first remove the press from the c-clamp

now you are going to need to remove the top bolt - the only method i have is to hit it with a hammer a couple of times and wiggle it out.

then i take a smaller bolt - one that will fit through the opening where the ratchet attaches to the socket. i then put the entire thing back into the c-clamp.

and use the force of the c-clamp to get my hash bits moving, when i have pushed the hash almost to the end of the socket, i remove it from the c-clamp, and use a drift punch and a hammer to finish driving it out.

after it's out,

i clean my press with a knife,

and these little "hash crumbs" are my bonus - i smoke these immediately.
and finally the finished product - notice the bottom chunk - we've been smoking the hell out of it.

We can't help it, this hash kicks ass!!
well that's my method, any comments? suggestions for improvement?

I would like to say - I use a 3/4" socket, but there is absolutely no reason not to use a larger or smaller socket depending on your needs, the key would be that you need a very tight fit between the socket and the bolts that you are going to use.
good luck, stay safe,
peAce,
pacT

or something like this...
Butte said:
Well, I finally got a couple uploaded only to have it go out on me again. Anyway, here's the finished press and a couple one ounce slabs...

- Butte

those should help a bit.

Sleepy

Veteran
or this one...

or this one...

or something like this:
Pipedream said:
Those that know me, realize that I seldom post. I’m not one for throwing stuff out there just for a reaction. If you have something of value to contribute to a thread you should post it, but if you don’t, just browse, read, and learn. As such, this is only the third thread that I’ve started on IC. The other two, my personal-grow thread (see link in signature), and the 150wHPS Club, have both become active “Stickys”. It’s my hope that this new thread will offer valuable information as well, and potentially save readers a big chunk of change and a lot of aggravation.

As a medical user, I’ve found that processing my herb into pieces of hash has many advantages. It will store for very long periods of time (years), consistent dosing is easier, there is no degradation of the quality as a result of long-term storage, it burns very evenly, is very easy to transport, and various other factors as well.

The issue is, the equipment available for pressing herb or its resin into hash can be expensive, large and cumbersome, work poorly, or is so small that it is difficult to operate for someone with reduced hand-strength. There are also numerous DIY units that can be made from plumbing items, but the quality just isn’t there and not everyone is up to the challenge. Up to now, the best compromise has been a press known as the Piecemaker®.

THEIRS-$300 vs. MINE-$20

Theirs is a true quality item, however, you must be willing to hand over almost $300 U.S. and share your personal info on-line to order one.

Alternatively, here is a simple solution that easily makes perfect hash, is readily available, easy to operate, requires no assembly, looks very professional, and can be had on sale for under 20 bucks U.S. The item I am suggesting is a Makin’s® Professional Ultimate Clay Extruder. That’s right, available at most larger craft stores, and designed to work with fimo-clay, this item makes the perfect personal hash press. In fact, it looks almost identical to the $300 Piecemaker® just a bit smaller and less than 1/10th the price!

So, instead of me writing more about the unit itself, why don’t I just show you how it can make perfect Black Tar Hash, or any other type that you may fancy………

My unit came packaged like this with 20 different extruding disks.

Unless you are planning on making beads and decorations, dump everything except the Press and the two disks with the smallest round holes.

As you can see from this disassembled shot, this is a quality item that will be easy to clean and even has an “O-Ring” around the brass ram.

The actual process goes like this. Place both disks in the end-cap. The one with the smaller hole should be on top so to be closest to the hash being made.

If you are going to use un-sifted plant matter, make sure it is fully covered with glands, and ground as fine as possible.

For this demo, I’ll use my favorite measure, which is 1.1 grams of the finest material I have.

Now unscrew the plunger and fill the tube with the desired amount of product you want to use.

Also, another step I take which is totally not necessary is to insert 2 US dimes. One in the cap and one against the plunger.

This will make a perfect impression on the surface of my finished hash, much like a trademark.

Now screw on the end-cap and turn the plunger down until its nice and snug. DON”T OVER-TIGHTEN IT!

Now we'll continue to tightenit in steps. It will work much better and remember that this is an aluminium unit we don’t want to destroy it. Once it nice and snug, wait 30 seconds and give it another 1/8th turn. Now repeat the "30 second wait and 1/8th turn" process about six times.

This final step will put a shinny sealed surface on your hash that will protect it from falling apart or loss of potency for years to come. Using a hair-dryer, small space-heater, or other safe heat source, warm up the end of your press.

Slowly keep rotating the unit as a whole. This will assure that the heat is evenly distributed. It should get very, very warm, but not so hot that you can’t touch it. While keeping it warmed, repeat the "1/8th turn and 30 second wait" process about five more times.

The hotter you get it, the darker and denser your end product will be.

To remove your hash, allow the unit to cool to room temperature. Then back off the ram a turn or two. Unscrew the end-cap, and turn the ram all the way down pushing the hash out.

After each days use, fully disassemble & clean the unit with ISO alcohol and allow to air-dry.

Here’s a sample piece that I made with the impression of the dime.

Keep this in mind, the better the quality of your starting material, and the finer its ground, the less heat and pressure it will require to hold together. If you choose to use pure sifted glands, virtually no heat will be required. And, if your material is not as good as you wish it was, adding one drop of ISO or Olive Oil per gram of material inside the press will help it hold together better.

That’s about it. Good luck & get pressing. If you have any questions or comments I’d love to hear them so post away or send me a PM.

Grow Smart & Grow Safe
Pipedream

mudvaynefan

Thats a cool diy press, can someone tell me the advantage of pressing ground herb like he used for his example?

If its just powdered plant material, why go thru the task of making little disks?

Id like to know, cuase thats cool, but I dont need to do it unless thier is some marked advantage to it. :wave: Sorry about getting of topic, just one person should know , dont want to start a thread, and dont want to :hijacked:

ilife

LetZgetI said:
Got around 80g's of hash powder and want to compact it into a hard block before it goes moldy
??????

If you press any resin powder while it is still wet it will mold for sure??

iLiFE

DailyTHC

mudvaynefan said:
Thats a cool diy press, can someone tell me the advantage of pressing ground herb like he used for his example?

If its just powdered plant material, why go thru the task of making little disks?

Id like to know, cuase thats cool, but I dont need to do it unless thier is some marked advantage to it. :wave: Sorry about getting of topic, just one person should know , dont want to start a thread, and dont want to :hijacked:

I dont know either? Seems kinda shady. I can definately picture some idiot grinding up and pressing herb and selling it as hash! Haha

BUT on the other hand, I can see it personally useful too. Like your going on vacation and cant take your sac on the plane soo you press it into ths little brick.

REGARDLESS, I would have to see the results of this pressed herb. I cant Imagine it would even work too well in the first place. Like I cant see it sticking together, even with a lot of pressure.

DailyTHC

LetZgetI said:
Got around 80g's of hash powder and want to compact it into a hard block before it goes moldy or sumit!I've tried heating it up in the oven at 170c with wet paper/foil wrapped around it,pressed with rolling a bottle over and over!,then left to cool in the fridge!its supposed to be quite hard at this point but i can never get it hard enough to stay together,let alone a hard block!All i want to do is compact it into a hard block which seems to be quite tricky!Any good ideas u guys?

Most likely the issue is with your starting material. How was it obtained? My guess is that the 'hash powder' you have is mainly plant material, with not a lot of glands/trichromes.

A proper, clean sift of buds will yield a kief that is easily pressable, sometimes without heat even being required.

What color is your 'hash'?

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
I take it after you press it, it just crumbles? That's a good indication of contamination meaning you probably have to much plant matter in your kief. What method or machine did you use to obtain your kief?

Pactivist

I was gonna post and have you follow the link in my sig line to the "bolt hash" thread, but I see that sleepy quoted it already. there is a bit more information in each one of those quoted posts that is well worth reading. I suggest that you read each thread in it's entirety.
peAce,
pacT

Kr@kEn

Take half of the kiff and make oil with it. Then take the finished oil product and mix it with the remaining kiff. Combo hash balls!!!
The consistency is similar to bubble hash but it is more potent because of the oil content.
You can throw it in a bowl and smoke it too without any special smoking tools.

acidfire

I use parchment paper.
Fold it around a few packs of papers or something the same size as the chunk of hash you want.
Tape all but 1 of the sides down.
Take the pack of papers/matchbox out.
Fill the packet with dry sieve.
Close the packet.
Surround the packet with 2 layers of newspaper.
Wet it slightly.
Heat it with an iron for a second.
Roll the packet with a wine bottle or w/e you can find.

The lower the quality of dry sieve the more heat/pressure you will need for it to remain intact.

*but personally, I would just smoke it in powder form.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts