What's new

Feminized seeds and crossing

etrusco

I was wondering if plants coming from feminized seeds are good for crossing...
I'd say they're ok because they're just seeds from a self-pollinated female, but I'm not sure...

For instance, is there a greater chance that pollinating a female grown from a feminized seed the offsprings will be hermie or have some other problem?

TIA

ograskal

Veteran
etrusco said:
I was wondering if plants coming from feminized seeds are good for crossing...
I'd say they're ok because they're just seeds from a self-pollinated female, but I'm not sure...

For instance, is there a greater chance that pollinating a female grown from a feminized seed the offsprings will be hermie or have some other problem?

TIA
Have you grown out that Female a few times yet???.....If you've grown her out a few times and didnt come across any Bananas, I would say She's ok to Pollenate....Just my 2 cents...~ogr

etrusco

ograskal said:
Have you grown out that Female a few times yet???.....If you've grown her out a few times and didnt come across any Bananas, I would say She's ok to Pollenate....Just my 2 cents...~ogr

No, I've just bought some new seeds... I'll take that into consideration anyway, thx

etrusco

Yes and no: "banana" is the "shape" of some flowers you find on hermies. I guess it's used to call the hermie itself

G

Bump on this thread. Maybe someone could share his experiences in pollination female plants from feminised seeds?

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
Best to stay clear of feminised seed for breeding,cos after a few generations you've got more chance of hermi's showing up.I crossed a feminized passion#1 to my chronic male and after 5-6 weeks bloom banana's started to show up in the majority of the offspring (indoors & out)so i've scraped that project.

G

marijuanamat said:
Best to stay clear of feminised seed for breeding,cos after a few generations you've got more chance of hermi's showing up.I crossed a feminized passion#1 to my chronic male and after 5-6 weeks bloom banana's started to show up in the majority of the offspring (indoors & out)so i've scraped that project.
Thanks for sharing your experience. That will save my time and disappoints.

But what's with all those C99 crosses going around? People have made them from regular seeds only?

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was quite lucky to find an exact existing thread for my query here.......
Would any other breeders care to weigh in on this?

I've got stored in my freezer the pollen from an awesome Herijuana male,
I have several varieties of feminised seeds and was hoping to cross the
Heri into a stable feminsed plant.

My next grow will be of 3 feminised strains, 2 plants each. I'll take 2 cuts from each during vegging and then while flowering the mothers I'll determine which is the best plant to cross. Stability is #1 in that any mother developing any herms will NOT be considered for the cross. Trait selection is #2, I'd like to cross to strongest Indica pheno. Resin production would #3 in my book. I realize that selecting from a mere 6 mother plants is NOT as good as selecting from 30-40 (or more) plants but I have limited space to stay stealthy. Of course this is to produce F1's only as I understand from reading around the forums that they remain most stable and uniform in showing both parents.

Thanks in advance for any advice in this project, I don't mind at all if the concensus is a 'no go' with feminised seeds, pls try to be detailed in the pros & cons.......

S4L

btw, I've been growing for many years (25+) but now being as I've spent a fair $,$$$ on my seed stash I feel like playing a bit with my favorites, your effort & knowledge given here will not be wasted on a newbie trying to chat up a load of BS.

You won't find but a few pics of a single LowRyder2 grow here because I live in and am a property owner in a non-tolerant state. I'm tight lipped & not a braggard, I've never been approached for growing because I'm careful, and only once I was approached for selling by LE but I stung their sting operation with some timely inside info. btw I WASN'T selling it was just someone selling my ass out for his own freedom, didn't work & he paid dearly.

Last edited:

midwest

I asked this same question a while ago on another forum

I was told it should be fine
But I was warned that problems come up when you try to reverse a feminized plant to make more feminized seeds

No personal experience myself although I have made a couple of crosses using fem'd seeds so I'll find out eventually when I get around to growing some of them out

A Slight Variation - The "Inside Cross"

A Slight Variation - The "Inside Cross"

Here's a variation on the theme that might sidestep genetic dead-ends:

Starting with a small group of commercial "feminized" seeds, clones are taken from the "best" three or four ( out of the usual ten ) , and then one of each is grown out to make several mothers labeled "A", "B", and "C".

One branch of each new mother is treated with Silver salts and forced to produce pollen. Then, the pollen from "A" is used to pollinate "B" and "B" is used to pollinate "A", and then "C" is used to pollinate both "A" & "B", and vice-versa.

Yes, it will take space, and time, and effort, but when the resulting seeds are tested, there should be a few solid winners in there that can be either crossed with "outside" genes, or further refined using the same "inside cross" technique.

The same technique might be applied to a small group of "bag seeds" from a known strain. Even if there was just one lonely flower that produced the pollen, each seed should be unique, and have different potential for further breeding whether they are all female, or better yet, with a real male.

Anyone care to comment?

artjom21

breeder Wallyduck have experience breeding whit feminised seeds he crossed a feminized Grapefruit whit a c99 male.

I am planning on making a cross of Sensi Star to a particular mandala strain I love so I am curious if this is a safe practice.

i think i made fem. seeds by accident. one sour diesel that i thought was female grew nanners and pollinated two other s.d.z so chances are good i got fem. seeds right? what are the chances some will be herm?

Last edited:
So i had a plant that was all female except for one male pollen sac. i used the pollen to pollenate three of the budsites and now its almost harvest time and thier are seeds on the budsites i pollenated. am i to understand that these seeds will be 100% female now?

onioncreek

Great thread, glad I found it. I have a similar question, I used sts to reverse a chem d cut, the plant produced many balls, but it did not seem to release pollen. I placed the plant into the main flower room, so as to get at least some bud from the plant. Well it is 8 weeks in flower and after taking a look at the plant I sat to the side and ignored, I found out that it is seeded heavily. My question is if a plant is seeded from its own pollen, will the resulting plants be fems and stable?

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
Great thread, glad I found it. I have a similar question, I used sts to reverse a chem d cut, the plant produced many balls, but it did not seem to release pollen. I placed the plant into the main flower room, so as to get at least some bud from the plant. Well it is 8 weeks in flower and after taking a look at the plant I sat to the side and ignored, I found out that it is seeded heavily. My question is if a plant is seeded from its own pollen, will the resulting plants be fems and stable?

If a female impregnated another female then they all would be female, would they also be stable? well they would need to be grown out to know that for sure.

Now was it balls or was it bananas? are you sure the "Sex change" actually occurred?